Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What Ben Stein Thinks Bush Should Do - Commentary

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Road Ratt, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

What Ben Stein Thinks Bush Should Do - Commentary

It Is Time For Rumsfeld To Go And For The President To Admit That Iraq Is A Mess, Says Stein

Times are very tough in Iraq and if I was still a speechwriter for the President, like I was for Mr. Nixon and Mr. Ford, this is what I would suggest he say:

My fellow Americans, I have some sobering news. It is my duty, above all, to protect the nation. I sincerely believed I was doing that when I ordered the invasion of Iraq. I still believe Saddam Hussein was the most dangerous man in the world. But it is clear to me now that things are not working out well in Iraq. Despite the incredible confidence, bravery and sacrifice of our men and women on the ground there, Iraq is still a violent, largely out of control nation. We may be making more terrorists than we destroy. "Quagmire" comes sadly to mind. It is clear that change must be made. Therefore, I have this morning accepted Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld's resignation with sincere thanks for his service to the nation. He will be replaced by a truly heroic American, Senator John McCain of Arizona.

Despite my best intentions, I made mistakes in Iraq and mine is the responsibility. Good men and women died and hard-earned tax money was lost. Fine young men and women are crippled and disabled, which is a tragedy. It is time for a change. Therefore, I am convening an official, national, bi-partisan, blue ribbon commission composed of Democrats, Independents and Republicans, civilian and military, to start meeting at once and give me a recommendation in one month as to what our Iraq policy should be. All options are on the table. All.

I want to close with this thought. I am just a man. I have no miraculous powers. I have no special pipeline to God. Like all presidents from Jefferson and Lincoln onwards — and believe me, I know I'm not in their league — I make mistakes and sometimes good people die because of them. I am deeply sorry. As we re-examine our policy, I would ask that you all pray for us to make the right decision. May God continue to bless us all. Thank you.

Source

Good advice from a republican, who'da thunk it? :wink: :grin:

2. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

I don't think anyhting could possibly annoy the Democrats more than such a speach. The entirety of their '06 campaign is "Iraq sux, Bush sux, 'Publicans Sux" so having to change their tune to "Bush is a flip-flopper" (hoping that the irony would get them some votes) would seem pretty lame.

3. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

I don't think anyone would have to accuse Bush of being a flip-flopper. Getting to say "we told you so" for the next two years would be enough to neuter Bush and keep anyone who runs on yet another continue-the-right-wing-murderous-rampage-at-any-cost platform out of the White House for a long time to come.

4. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I wish that sentence was referring to Bush instead of Rumsfeld.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, fingers crossed that the non-nutbag Republicans take their party back from the neo-cons.

6. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

With the Republicans self-destructing, the Democrats don't have to do anything but sit on the sidelines, watch, and grin about the upcoming elections.

That said, choosing McCain as Sec of Defense would most certainly change things. He would recommend sending more GI's into that meat-grinder. :shocked:

7. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

I saw that this morning. I think it a respectful way for the prez to say that the war wasn't perfect in every way, and that there were unforseen problems. Let the flames begin!

8. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

Ya, Dems have cornered the market on redundant campaigning, LOL. :rolleyes:

It could be a good idea for him to make the speech. I think it'd be cool to see Bush be real for once as all the choreographed speeches that he stumbles over make him look quite inept, as does Iraq, the real War on Terror, NK going nuclear on his watch, Iran quickly heading in that direction, etc. . It's time for him to face the fact that he's not his dad. He's not a world leader, he has no diplomatic skills what-so-ever making him fail in all his foreign policies. I could keep going on but the list is nearly endless so...

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

There's no point talking about the upcoming Presidential elections until we know who the candidates are going to be.

10. pancakeman

Barak Obama, for one.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't think he's running.

12. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I wonder if George Jr. knows that it may take about 8-12 years for the Republican party to recover from his fiasco.

Rummy and Cheney should have been gone along time ago. I'd probably prefer a close-door retirement. Keep it private to save this country some face. What little we do have left.

But both should be put out to the pasture as soon as possible. And take Rice with them. The Republican party is done. Let's try to at least save America itself.

Time will tell whether George's allegiance is to his personal friends, or his country.

13. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

George isn't a 'junior'.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, it doesn't really need to be in your name for you to get "junior" and "senior" tags, you just need to have the same first name as your father.

Heh, that got me thinking - women are never named after their mothers, because you never hear of a female "junior" or "senior".

15. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Hispanic girls are often named after their mothers, but you're right, they aren't called "junior" or "senior".

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I didn't know that. I wonder if they have some sort of convention, like calling the mother "Maria" and the daughter "little Maria" or something.

17. The Future now

The Future now Banned

I thought that both the first and middle names needed to be the same to qualify for a "junior".

18. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

That's how I've always heard it. And then if junior names gives his son the name of his dad, the kid becomes a "the III."

19. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Glad to see that the only disagreement you have with my post is the designation of "Jr."

20. pancakeman

Well, the fact that you are advocating an entire major political party's disintegration because of a controversial bit of foreign policy doesn't really make much sense either. Who would balance Congress then? A completely Democrat House and Senate, with a Democrat in the Oval Office seems like a dictatorship to me.