Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What Assassin to start with?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by MaximusLives, Jun 16, 2005.

1. MaximusLives

MaximusLives Diabloii.Net Member

What Assassin to start with?

I'm new to these forums, so I hope I post this right:

I've played D2 for years, but have just started up again from scratch. I've never made an Assassin before so I'm looking for some input on how I should start out, CC or CS, and where to place stats. I am only interested in PvM and would like to be able to solo most areas.

I've narrowed it down to 2 builds that hopefully aren't too item dependent, but I am open to any suggestions.

1st: a Tiger Strike/Dragon Tail build w/ Death Sentry and Lightning Sentry

-or-

2nd: a Trapper (will a trapper be able to handle light immunes well?)

I'm not sure which of these are better, or how exactly I should distribute the skill points for them.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks alot.

2. Oniko

Oniko Diabloii.Net Member

It's really going to depend on your finances. If you want to do well versus LI's with a pure trapper, you'll need a merc with the Infinity runeword. which isn't cheap.

I would urge you to go Tiger/Tail, with 1 or 2 points in Talon. Before you invest any points into Claw Mastery, I would also suggest you try both c/c and c/s builds. Since both Tiger and Phoenix work with c/s builds, you can really have a blast with the various options you can have.

Statwise -- you'll want to hit around 200 str or so with your gear. dex will depend on whether you go with c/c or c/s, although my PvM only gets 50% block with her monarch, and she does ok.

It's relatively easy to hit HUGE amounts of damage with Dtail on three charges (as an experiment, I was once able to hit 88k). Getting 40k or so isn't too difficult if you can get some +skills and wear dual tucs. But remember that both PI's and FI's will be immune to that.

Also, I strongly urge you to get one point into Blade Fury, as it will make Chaos runs a lot easier. (If you go pure traps, then you won't need it)

Hope that helps.

3. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG Diabloii.Net Member

A trapper is far easier and far more item independent than a Dtailer would be. LIs are handled through FB, DS, and possibly BF. (You definitely don't need an Infinity merc, though a shopped Lower Resist wand can be handy.) They can get by with nothing but shopped gear, and are by a long shot the easiest Assassin to play untwinked.

Perhaps a more important question is which is funner to play. Though traps are fun, I personally prefer Martial Arts.

4. vagrantrogue

vagrantrogue Diabloii.Net Member

i've tried the hybrid [kick/trap] route, and i found that i dont do enough lightning damage in hell going hybrid. i'd suggest fully going trapper if you want to put points into light/death sentry. for lightning immunes, a point into blade fury can go a long way. i am considering possibly doing a lightning trap/vemon hybrid. im not sure how that'll go yet...

if you want traps just for death sentry, you can spare the several points to get 1 into death sentry and let your +skill items do the rest. and maybe you can pair up that skill with shadow master, so she can cast it often.

5. MaximusLives

MaximusLives Diabloii.Net Member

Well thanks for your help guys.......I think trap is the way to go for now.......

Any ideas on exact skill distribution though????
    20 DS
    20 LS
    20 CBS
    20 Shock Web
    20 Fireblast

but should sacrifice some of those to get a higher shadow master/fade/cos...etc.

Thanks

6. GreatStupidPastry

GreatStupidPastry Diabloii.Net Member

Eh.. For my trapper I put a few points into Shadow Master to have an extra tanker. I believe you should also get some one point wonders like Burst of Speed and Mind Blast. Mind Blast helps me so much against tough Lightning Immunes in Hell like Thorned Hulks near Shenk (I MF with my trapper ;D). Converts some of the enemies to keep them off my merc, my merc kills one of them, death sentry, and they drop super fast =D.

7. Joergermeister

Joergermeister Diabloii.Net Member

I have a Tiger Strike/DTail assassin and a lightning trapper which are both PvM. The Martial arts assassin is in my opinion way more fun to play, but the lightning trapsin is also interesting. If the trapsin is what you are leaning towards then I would check out JRichards guide in the strategy compendium here: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=513

Good Luck and have fun.
    *NiteHawk

8. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk Diabloii.Net Member

I think that a hybrid light/fire trapsin would be the best choice for you. you dont need that much equipment to excell through the game, but as you get more wealthy, you will become noticablly better. BTW, are you ladder us west? cuz if you are i could help you out w/ equipment in a couple weeks (lol, i'm at somewere else :( ) but ya in a bit i could help you if you are uswest ladder

*impulsepainter

-HaLoPhReAk