Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What are your favorite gems?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by ZappaFan, Oct 16, 2014.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Now that we've had a chance to try different gems I'd really like to hear what people's favorites are for whatever builds, etc. My contribution is a bit limited since I've been focusing on a Lightning Leaper Barb so much. So anyway...

Lightning Leap Barb: Bane of the Trapped & Wreath of Lightning (so far). Bane/Trapped is kind of a no-brainer since I'm using the 3 second Stun rune for Leap, so all my Leap Quakes do extra damage. Plus it's pretty hard to beat the lvl 25 attribute. I like the Wreath of Lightning because it scales linearly and is fairly effective right out of the gate. Plus it's way cool. The speed bonus at lvl 25 is nice, too. If I had the right ammy I'd probably try to add a 3rd gem, probably Bane of the Powerful, not totally sure tho.

Pet Doc: so far I've just used Bane/Trapped (using PirNado) & Enforcer. I've read some negative comments about Enforcer and how it actually works, but I would think that the 25% damage reduce for pets would be handy for higher GRift levels.

Not much from me, hopefully others much more experienced can add some helpful experience.

Thanks!

FYI: Link to the Wiki page listing the gems: http://www.diablowiki.net/Legendary_Gems

2. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Solely Monk input here, as often happens with me :p
    - Gogok for ZDPS and SWK Genwuko monk (15% CDR and IAS, impossible to pass up)
    - BotP for quick T6 farming and decent usefulness in high GR as well
    - Mirinae if you have a proc skill (WotHF:FoF or TR:Electric Field)
    - Taeguk is great for hardcore, just gotta learn to keep the buff up

When Bane of the Trapped if fixed to work with the SWK proc it will be fantastic.

3. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

*Zei's: amazing and mandatory for most Firebird's builds. Max damage at 2/3 a screen away. Something to note is Zei's works for the source of the damage, so pets (sentries/hydras) need to be placed at distance from their intended target to work.

*Toxin: at level 25 it's a 10% boost to damage and it is almost mandatory for higher GRs (25+) because it negates the shield corrupted angels use. I've heard there are some weird suicide bugs associated with this, but I've never seen it.

*Bane of the Powerful: at level 25 it's a sweet 15% bonus to elites, and if you keep leveling it the 20% damage buff will be up 90% of the time.

*Bane of the trapped: a must for sentry DHs that use frost arrow as it instantly works like the cull of the weak passive. It gets applied after everything else too, so it is really powerful. At level 25 it's probably amazing for any melee build since it applies itself.

*Taeguk: this one at 25 is tough to beat for any channeling builds since it's up almost all of the time (especially with Krelm's bracers) and the armor bonus for Int classes is huge.

*Boon of the hoarder: with goldwrap belt this ensures you have toughness numbers in the 100m+ range almost all of the time. Doesn't work in greater rifts though.

*Enforcer: this one is pretty mandatory for sentry DHs. The level 25 bonus doesn't apply to DHs, but I'm sure it helps WDs out. It's probably good for that avitar Crusader build too. I don't think it works right with hydras when it comes to Firebird's builds. They might help get to the permaburn, but doesn't increase the damage past that.

4. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

I'm pretty boring in gem preferences: Powerful, Trapped, and Toxin. Jade Harvester build; these seem to work well with it. I'm slowly leveling others and I'll probably mess around with the Smite one (in lieu of BotP).

5. ZappaFan

Sounds like that might be something good for running T6 bounties? Or maybe not since you spend a lot of time just running past monsters... not sure, that's still on my "to do" list. :p

6. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I did exactly 2 hours of boon running in T6, besides making 400M, my record toughness was past 3000M :p I've read people get as high as 10000M with the right gold equipment and good density. I'll revisit this with my T6 speedfarm monk, should be fun :)

7. ZappaFan

Wow. Just wow.

8. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

The highest Gem Ive ever achieved is level 20 so they all suck to me... but IM working on it and my personal favs are

Wreath of Lightning
    Marinea
    Goguk

9. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Did this yesterday for an hour and only made 100M and I was huh what's wrong, but last time I did this was with the community gold find buff :p Did hit 3B toughness again, if you solely focus on picking up gold withing 5s every time, you'll get higher for sure. No reason to be cash-strapped anymore :)

Equipment is still on my Inna's monk if you want to see what I'm wearing:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hippotion-2165/hero/42746585

I've got a legacy kimbo's amulet which rocks for this kind of stuff, but had to reshuffle to much in my build, couldn't be arsed.

Festering Woods, Weeping Hollow and Halls 1-3 are great areas for this. I can kill elites reasonably ok in T6 like this but sometimes I skip them when there are no white mobs around. Takes to much time and doesn't bring in the $$$$$$

I'm short on pickup radius, Rondal's locket and Avarice band are great for that.

10. ZappaFan

I switched out my Enforcer for a Gogok of Swiftness and that's been working out great. Love the extra CDR you get at max stacks. Not too hard to get a good snapshot for BBV & FA, Toads add stacks pretty quickly.

11. ZappaFan

I had a not completely horrible BT ammy drop, and socketed it. I switched in the BT Ammy with Boon/Horder gem and a Goldwarp in place of my BT belt, and I was still able to complete a T5 rift albeit more time consuming. But from that one T5 rift I think I got about 50 mil gold maybe? Pretty impressive! I think I saw my toughness go up into the 500 mil range many times. Too bad it only lasts five seconds lol.

12. ZappaFan

Man talk about a run of bad luck, I ran 4 grifts trying to level a gem, and of the 12 tries at 60% chance I failed all but two. 0-3, 1-3, 0-3 & 1-3.

13. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

PFFFFEEK is soooo annyoing to hear at 60% chance. I keep telling myself it all evens out in the end, but you forget the 30% chance you upgrade and remember the 90% chances you fail :p

14. ZappaFan

Very true, I've had a few 30% that worked and even one 15% that worked, so I probably shouldn't complain (but just watch me do it anyway!)

15. Flux

Flux Administrator

The "cool/fun" vs "efficient" debate is probably less featured here, because Hardcore. But even in HC, I find myself gravitating towards the fun or flashy gems at times, just since they're so much fun. Conduit Gem is probably exhibit A in that case. Or maybe Boon of the Hoarder, especially if you've got like 500m gold already but just... can't... stop...

There are others, open to debate. Zei's is boring and has no visual effect... but it's very powerful for some builds. The defensive gems are probably in that same boat, or would be if they were worth using. Imagine a gem that's equivalent of the Double Unity trick, but does it with zero visuals. Everyone would use it but no one would enjoy it?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  16. ZappaFan

I've thought the same thing that you have... every gem should have some sort of cool visual. Right on the heels of that idea I also think how cluttered the screen gets in a four player game, and imagine if every player had 3 different gems, and all those visuals are filling up the screen at the same time. Holy graphic hemorrhaging Batman! So how about the best of both worlds? The special visual is only visible to the person wearing the gem?

17. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

yeah my luck is pretty horrible right now also. (for last night and day before.)
    at 60% I am 5 for 15 tries
    at 70% I am 1 for 1 tries
    at 90% I am 1 for 2 tries

but my saving grace is at 100% I am 3 for 3 yea!

I have not attempted a roll under 60%

18. ZappaFan

Well I'd read in some comments that somebody preferred Mirinae over Wreath Of Lightning so I leveled a Mirinae to Rank 25 with my WD and swapped it for the WoL my Leap Quake Barb was using. Looking at the description I would think it should proc as much as the WoL does, but I have to say I was totally unimpressed. I felt that the WoL has a MUCH greater effect than the Mirinae, at least for this build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ZappaFan-1229/hero/54834918

19. Kagutsuchi

Kagutsuchi IncGamers Member

My main Crusader runs Bane of Trapped, Mirinae, and Gogok of Swiftness.

I'm one of those people who prefers Mirinae over Wreath of Lightning. I play Holy Shotgun, and this is one of the builds I think Mirinae works best with. I have +holy damage stacked, Fires of Heaven has a fairly good proc coefficient 50% of displayed number x 3 beams, and gem effect stays in line with the high burst damage nature of the build.

My alt crusader runs a Gyrfalcon build with focus on attack speed. Not viable for high difficulty, but fun to speed farm around T3. Currently running Pain Enhancer, Efficacious Toxin and Boon of the Hoarder full time. Planning to rank up a Wreath to replace Boon.

ZappaFan likes this.
  20. ZappaFan

I've done a lot more comparison between Mirinae & WoL and have now switched my opinion to Mirinae, primarily because it seems to be more effective with single targets. No matter the proc you know you're going to get that smite every 5 seconds for sure. That and I switched to a Cold build for my barb and so Wreath lost some of it's effectiveness due to that. WoL is great for mobs, Mirinae better against bosses.