Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What are your "Do-All" builds?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GooberGrape, Jun 27, 2017.

1. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

I've been at this off and on for a long while. It seems that there are a small handful of character builds who are uniquely "the best" at running specific targets, pit zerker and AT blizz sorc to name a few. I was curious what do you folks consider your "do-all" builds? Characters who can go anywhere and run any targets with a modicum of efficiency.

Clearly any build is "hell-able" to coin a term from Nightfish, but some have blatant weaknesses or require skipping large parts of the game content. A good example is the aforementioned blizz sorc, she stomps most of the game but some cold immunes are not breakable even with Infinity.

Certainly this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. But now that I have a 10 month old roaming my house, my leisure time has been cut desperately short. I've given up seeking the grail or any other high and noble cause, now I'm just looking for a couple characters I can just log in and romp around and kill some stuff. I guess you could call this my swan song.

Thanks all for making this game great and keeping this place going for all these years. Let's see what you all got.

T72on1 likes this.
  2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

A Holy Freeze / Holy Shock zealot won't be the fastest killer out there, but can pound his way through anything with a little patience. So can an FA/strafer, especially with WWS on switch for PI's.

GooberGrape likes this.
  3. Yann

Yann Diabloii.Net Member

Probably something like an Orb/Meteor/Fireball-Sorc.

When I was still playing Bnet (HC) I had one and used it for farming keys (all three), MF (mostly Andy + Meph), rushing and general playing.

Good allround build.

BKC and GooberGrape like this.
  4. GooberGrape

Hey I forgot all about strafe. Did they ever settle the nextdelay debate, I know it was a big ordeal a few years back. Something about server side vs client side, and how the arrows didn't actually hit as fast as the screen showed.

5. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I've never heard of a fix.

GooberGrape likes this.
  6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

An IK barb can handle everything, although not at a decent speed.

Strafe shoots arrows at a maximum of 3 fpa, even when it looks like 2 fpa. Nextdelay is a different issue. For strafe, it's set to 4 frames which would make 4 fpa strafe better than 3 versus single targets. I don't think that's a bug, as strafe is meant to be an attack versus more than just one enemy and it would be a bit overpowered without restrictions in such a case.

coju and GooberGrape like this.
  7. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Hammerdin is your pal. And if you play 1.10-1.12 then he's all you need, for anything except the ONE monster in the act 3 temples that is both magic immune and animal class. You'd have to be pretty dedicated to get an enigma for him, though...

Still, there isn't a lot 1.13+ monsters can do against a hammerdin with a HF merc sporting Insight. At high levels, you'll have maxed resists, max block, 18-26% DR depending on shako socket, around 12k magic damage piercing hammers at 125%FCR breakpoint, and that is with just 2-3 skillers.... And 4k life after BO to boot. Merc will *destroy* non-PI monsters with high level conc.

Even the budget ones, with no enigma, no shako, no HoZ and no mara will do just fine. 2x spirit, Lore (or decent circlet), caster sharkskin belt craft, smoke/Guardian Angel/Vipermagi/etc can still move around quite well due to max vigor and a point in charge. Not the biggest on MF at that stage, but +7 all skills and +4 combat skills is achievable at lvl 30 with some twinking. May not have 2 soj, but still. +5 all and +4 combat skills then.

GooberGrape likes this.
  8. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I like the trielementalist idea.

GooberGrape likes this.
  9. GooberGrape

Well I did my share of trisorcs back in 1.09, curious how well they would pan out nowadays.

How does the nova necro work? I presume you do lower resist then poison nova? I do have enigma btw, I dug up my old stashes.

10. Yann

Yann Diabloii.Net Member

Well, Hammerdin is obvious OP ezmode.
    Massive AoE damage, basically no immune monsters, easiest access to maxblock, great fbr caps, greah fhr caps, easy access to max res, decent fcr caps, 3 life per vita, did I forget anything? :D

I did run a non-enigma hammerdin to almost level 97 (highest I've gotten post 1.09) doing mostly chaos full clears in one 1.12 ladder (had a sorc open a TP in chaos). Had no access to enigma, since it was basically impossible to get without either massive luck or massive dedication to hellforge rushing, trading for HRs was out of the question. Made another hammerdin in the first 1.13 ladder and got enigma pretty quickly. Massive difference between enigma and no enigma obviously, but non-enigma works really well too. Hammerdin probably is the strongest non-enigma, non-sorceress build?

Even though I did play two hammerdins to high levels I felt pretty cheap doing so. I usually want my characters to be able to do more or less everything. Without access to a lot of HRs (no infinity) this meant dual-tree when playing sorc. Usually frozen orb + something fire/lightning (dislike blizzard). I don't think triple-elemental is worth it, too much compromise for skill points. Merc can normally dispose of anything dual-immune without much hassle.

GooberGrape likes this.
  11. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I've been running a poison necro in the Pit, and have found him to be my fastest runner. Great fun to play, too.

GooberGrape likes this.
  12. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

Skellimancer with amplify damage / corpse explosion is my go to character. Before Enigma (which took me 8+ years of playing to get), I would have a staff with + to teleport charges on switch to manage the army movement. Not as fast as others, but can go anywhere and take down anything, safe, and can where a ton of MF.

GooberGrape likes this.
  13. krischan

It's an excellent buffing weapon for the back hand of an amazon, being like HotO+Spirit, but with a very low str req. The only problem is that it's extremely rare.

GooberGrape likes this.
  14. krischan

Mainly valk. Decoys, slow missiles etc. are used in combat situations and it might take too much time to switch to other weapons in these situations.

zemaj and GooberGrape like this.
  15. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Most good builds have already been mentioned here. I particularly like the Venomancer, but with an Enigma I'd probably like a Skelliemancer too.

I'd say that my ZealBarb can run most areas and targets quite well too.

GooberGrape likes this.
  16. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

Well my two favorite jack of it all builds:
    Kick-a-sin -> You have traps, kicks, and procing skills (Frozen Orb/Rift or Nova/Destruction). They can handle everything.
    Blood Sorc -> You have Blizzard for mobs and Dual Dreams/Grief to take Cold Immunes. Grief leeches and takes care of CI/LI.

T72on1 and GooberGrape like this.
  17. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

One of my favorite builds continues to be a (semi-) tri-elementalist. One of my favorite skills is Hydra.

Hydra+Mastery, Frozen Orb + Mastery, and static field (about 10 hard points, more if desired). Static field doesn't kill, but it weakens screenfuls of enemies quickly, allowing you (or your merc) to take things down that much faster. It works well with the playstyle of Hydras (you need something to do during the cast delay, so might as well spam static field).

I had a novamancer once, and remember it being a ton of fun and very fast killer. That or lightning fury javazon for a "Do All" build with some speed, but the above sorc build for style. That sorc is not slow, but there are plenty of faster options.

GooberGrape likes this.
  18. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

If you need to CE with a novamancer, you haven't got enough skillers. - Donald Trump

sanguillen and GooberGrape like this.
  19. GooberGrape

Seems legit.

20. Tnuc GniRobal

Tnuc GniRobal Diabloii.Net Member

a long time ago i used a necro with dim vision, a glay golem and holy freeze merc with reapers toll (maybe i had decrep, dont know if reapers was in the game) to basically stun the entire game. shit would rather be blinded by my dim vision and just stand there and bosses would be so slowed down by decrep, holy freeze and the golem that they couldnt really move. i cant remember much more about it other than that, even what my main attack was. maybe i had skellies? but i do know that it was ridiculous and he never died and there was no area of the game he couldnt shit on. i dont remember the version and dont know if dim vision is still as effective, but it sure as hell was back then. He wasnt very fast though but really it was just for comedic value and survive ability.

GooberGrape likes this.