Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What are you favorite safest builds?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RssDiablo, May 18, 2008.

1. RssDiablo

RssDiablo IncGamers Member

What are you favorite safest builds?

Yeah,
    What character do you love because you feel completely safe, and he/she is fun to play as. And don't just say fishymancer, I'm looking for oddball stuff. Like ES sorcs stacked with dr. My personal favorite so far is a kodiak bear for the crazy crowd control and massive life.
    How about you guys?
    rss

2. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Re: What are you favorite safest builds?

I'm a fan of WarCry barbs. You can run basically any attack skill in conjuntion with WC and you're perfectly safe. I must say my favorite of all time has to be a Multishot bowazon, tho. Wiping out crowds from a distance while a merc & a Valk tank ahead of you has been crazily safe. Archers are still a problem sometimes (especially if they're Mighted/Fanaticized), and resists might lack, but I (heart) them immensely.

3. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I personally like a trappersin. A merc with Insight, a SM, CoS, get yourself a nice pair to trap claws, put a bow/crossbow, or for added safety a shield and one-handed missile weapon, on switch, then just stand back and choose your targets at leisure. DS does the cleaning up. Easy.

4. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

I enjoyed my Bone Necro. Max Teeth/Spear/Spirit/Wall, ~10 in Prison. Used a few revives. I played him untwinked under some wacky tournament restrictions. Nevertheless I had no problem assembling plenty of +skills and cruising through p5 Hell, and felt pretty safe about it. Virtually no immunes to deal with. Teeth actually worked fantastic against many crowd types, better than expected. No merc necessary. Fun build.

Another super-safe build was my medusa-bow-barb, paired with a cold rogue. Superior crowd control, knockback/monster slow/chilling attacks. CB, OW, Duress, amp from Witchwild, Angelic AR, Inner Sight. Hardly anything touched us. Not the fastest killer, p1 all the way through Hell. With all the free points, he had maxed Find Item. Horked all kinds of fun stuff.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Another vote for Singer Barbarian. I made a untwinked Guardian with first try (and I'm mainly a SC player) and I felt him very safe. Damage ain't the highest possible, but the Stun from WC really makes wonders. And with high level BO, your life will be skyhigh.

It can be a little boring time to time, but I still recommend to try it. I actually enjoyed mfing with him in the Pits :smiley: Safe and slow, but got me a Tal's armor :grin:

6. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

7. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Hunter druids are great and are pretty safe.

You have Oak Sage which boosts your life (thats the idea yeah??), wolves which not only deal respectable damage when maxed with Grizzly, but provide great protection. Ravens cast selective dim vision which is a HC friendly skill (hence why my mojomancer in the fighter-mage tourney is maxing it :grin:). You have also got a big mean Grizzly which is for tougher bosses. And you got a creeper that eats corpses and give you life.

Great build and is fun to play, although you will need to find a means against PI's.

8. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Mine would be PoisonSummoner.

I know I've mentioned it alot, but really with my n00b playing style, it's the safest build I have the pleasure of making.
    Played it /p8 all the way even with my poor gamesmanship style, 'nuf said. :grin:

--maxgerin

9. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Almost every character class has at least one awesome safety skill.

To be different, I will vote for Passivezons/Impalazons/Bowazons! =). Decoys are the most reliable summons/minions in the game, and Valkyries are AWESOME tanks. Slow Missiles virtually shut down ranged attackers, and Dodge/Avoid/Evade give you some room for error.

10. Stevieb

Stevieb IncGamers Member

Im going to say Concentrate. Huge Defense and Life with max block while pumping out alot of damage. Howl makes this even greater by splitting the group. Unlike a hit and run build or standing behind tanks concentrate barb are right in the middle of it.

11. Evah

Evah IncGamers Member

+1 to Singers.
    tons of life+perfect crowd control+leap = absolutely safe pwnage

12. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Since nobody mentioned it yet: wolfbarb. More life then you'll ever need, and if well equiped it destroys everything too (even in p8 Baalruns).

13. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

I'll put in a plug for the Lord of the Mages. In your typical Skellimancer build you have to keep 'circling around' the monster pack so that the skellies which have wandered off come back into the fray. Whereas Mages work best if you stay still, or slowly edge towards to the monsters as the closest one gets gunned down. With a full Mage pack, in hardcore, I have actually gotten up and gone off to do other things while waiting for the sound of fighting to stop. Also, you can enter hell at level 60, and still kill reliably. (but its not the fastest)

For Amazon skills Decoy + Thorns (from Edge) is hilarious :D Also pumping points into Decoy will give your Valk very high resists.

For whacky, there's Iron Golem + Dim Vision. DV takes care of 98% of the stuff in the game, and 99% of the archers , Iron Golem needs to be meleeing to get its Thorns working... it worked surprisingly well.

That's for defence, for cheap offence I've found with Necro builds you can't go past Revives and Corpse Explosion... but both of those are mana heavy. Add Insight to the mix and it becomes sustainable.

Poison might (or might not) be faster in the end, but lacking Death's Web and Trangs, I find with I have no patience for dealing with the Undead from Nightmare onwards when they get extra poison resistance. Whereas Edge and Insight are both cheap enough (in cost and level requirement) to pick up and use in Normal.

14. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I'd have to thrown in Frost Maiden's to the mix. After playing one in a recent tournament I see just how nice it is to have the majority of your enemies completely frozen and helpless under your FA barrage. Those that are cold immune find themselves dealing with a high level valkyrie/decoy and therefore far away from the character herself.

15. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I liked my Singer/Firemage. He was a little slow at killing, but with 4000+ life and the stun from WarCry, it's not like he needed to hurry anyways... he could tank everything for at least a couple of seconds, and most things considerably longer. And Taunt will take care of ranged attackers very nicely.

Also, I found my Conviction/Gimmershred's throwadin was very safe too. A few points in Conversion to build a meatshield, and Vigor + some FR/W meant he could simply outrun anything dangerous. And nothing's immune to Conviction+Gimmershred's (although it's not particularly the fastest killer).

16. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I think it will be depend on what do you mean "safe". I list them by class:

1. The ultimate safety build is fishymancer. It is also tone of fun. CE is great skill. with an army around you, plus curses, there is almost nothing can touch you.

The second best safety build would be some kind of different necromancer, eg bonemancer, poisonmancer. Any necromancer that use curse is safe.

2. Any assassin that use MB, CoS, shadow is very safe too. Don't forget PS third charge is great crowd control for anything that is not CI.

3. Any barbarian that effectively uses war cry tree is safe. The best in this class is singer barb, but really, any will do.

4. Amazon, ranged attack with knock back, decoy + valky, safety is no question as long as you put the skill there. Only thing to watch out is door trap.

5. Energy shield sorceress is pretty safe, unless she meets mana burn, mana burn kills her as hot knife cut through butter. Do I call it safe? Yes with condition.

6. Druid, well you have summoning, pretty good life, good crowd control for certain build. What I don't like is you have effectively no ranged crowd control. Overview, this class is safe with condition.

7. Paladin, I never liked this class. Crowd control effectively non existing. You can reach good block, high resistant, and high def, which helps in a degree. I'm not in the mod to argue the skill conversion. It may have limited use; but really, the time you really need crowd control (eg. too dangerous to get into melee range, dangerous ranged boss pack), this skill is useless. You can get very high damage however, so if your definition of safety is "extreme offense", then this is build for you.

17. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

My safest character was my frenzy barbarian, due to the fact that I maxed War Cry. I think I said in the pat thread that War Cry had become my favourite skill, along with the prettiness of Lightning Fury against a huge mob :grin:

Once my Frenzier got to level 30 he was just about unstoppable. I had a Fishymancer before my thief-enforced restart, and even he had more deaths than SaltyDog. For some reason, I've never got the hang of Decoy, but the Valk gives any Amazon about the best tank available.

I can see an Assassin using Mind Blast, and a Druid using Shockwave being very safe builds as well, but I can't really comment on those.

18. Docturnal

Docturnal IncGamers Member

I guess the safest character ive had so far would be my dentist. While scouting with bonewall seems contraintuitive at first it does make the build extremely safe.

19. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

I would like to address the definition of safety first. There are "features" within this game capable of instant-killing a character no matter its life, which is indeed bad. If we use huge amounts of PDR combined with maxed (possibly stacked) resists together with some elemental absorb, our character becomes virtually unkillable.

However, this is more of a gear choice rather than build question. For me, a safe build represents something I can play untwinked without spending half of the game-time shopping or gambling for the necessary gear and over-levelling my character by playing Normal at higher ps.

Seeing as such a character will hardly get the gear from the first paragraph, I need to keep away from all the dangerous stuff by:

1) having a clear overview of the battlefield! (Starcraft addict :rolleyes: )
    2) being able to kill at distance, reasonably fast as well (for general play)
    3) have some reliable crowd control at short range (stair-traps and narrow places in general)

Maybe I'm a bit weird, but no.1 immediately disqualifies summon necro for me, one of the most popular "safe" builds. Besides, I cannot stand units that don't obey me - the merc is bad enough already. The same goes for fire druids and the like - looks really cool, but I can't see a damn thing! :evil:

As the game stands, I just cannot consider melee builds extraordinary safe. I know it's a lot better than in 1.10, but still.. Even with huge life-pool I need to check every single bosspack for lethal mods, not to mention annoying stuff like dolls, IM and such.

Having a recastable tank to back-up our merc is nice, as well having some stun to keep the foes in one place. A paladin and a sorceress lack both, which makes them a bit weaker against nasty stair traps. At least they have auras or teleport :azn: Necromancer has various curses which often appear on wands, and can thus be used by other classes as well. I must say I hate that monsters don't have any means to get rid of the curses - Cleansing aura, Fade and such. Speaking of these, eliminating the curses is imo a big step towards safety :wink3:

My favorites would be:
    Amazon - any non-melee kind using a valkyrie
    Assassin - not much experience here, seems like her safety depends on how well you can utilize her many skills. My only HC sin died after I re-assigned the hotkeys and messed them up dealing with a group of angry frenzytaurs. CoS and MB are powerful tools, no question!
    Barbarian - I don't think I could withstand a thrower with his pitiful damage. Thus high life, WC and other cries if necessary. His damage is crap regardless of the skill used, thus I'd prefer Concentrate with BO as a synergy.
    Druid - after the latest experience, it would be 20 points in DW, one in Grizzly, fooling around in bear form casting Shockwave if necessary.
    Necromancer - I second (third, whichever) the bone-necro despite his low damage. One point in CG and GM also works wonders esp. when assisted by curses.
    Paladin - I like my soon to be patted zealot/cleric hybrid, but he relies a lot on PDR and gear in general. At least he can take out the undead menace (dolls, OKs, Souls) from distance. He would be a lot slower untwinked, though.
    Sorceress - haven't played one in a while, but a meteorber or CL-orber seem cowar.. safe enough. 1pt ES with some DtM gear helps against otherwise fatal misclicks.

20. sequana

sequana IncGamers Member

Smiter, smiter, smiter with high CtC LT :laugh:......of course not in Chaos Sanctuary.