Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What are we coming to?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kaysaar, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Kaysaar

Kaysaar Diabloii.Net Member

What are we coming to?

I didn't see this already posted, so I figured that many OTFers might find this interesting, if not sad.

Trend reversal

2. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Anakha and I already agreed today that if we ever become obese we'll kill ourselves so I guess we are in support of the trend reversal. I still find it sad that in the world that we live in today with all of our education of health and nutrition that people are still too lazy to get off the couch and get some exercise or to put down the Big Macs. That's what the age of television and videogames has reduced us to.

3. Aeval

Aeval Diabloii.Net Member

I completely agree with Isolde. being obese is basically killing yourself slowly anyway.

if it's a disease as some people claim, it has a cure. too bad people would rather whine about it then participate in making themselves better.

just my two cents.

4. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

/me secretly developes a serum to make Isolde and Anakha obese

I know a couple cats from Malawi who'd kill to be obese. Enjoy living the good life, man. Nobody cares if it's five years shorter than the ok life. It's still 69 years, 11 months, 29 days, and 29 hours longer than the surreal life.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If the costs of obesity in health care continue to be taken care of by the government, I'm moving. I disagree with smokers getting treatment in government funded hospitals/clinics too(I have lost a grandfather and am losing two uncles to smoking). If you did it to yourself tough ****. I'm not going to pull you out of a hole you willingly jumped into yourself. Especially if you had millions(billions?) of dollars worth of advertising thrown at you over the course of your life telling you not to jump into that hole and if you already had how to get out of it. Fat doesn't come out of no where, you had to shove that extra food down your throat.

If you can't tell I have issues with people who complain about being fat. Makes me want to get my hammers out.

6. cyclotronic

cyclotronic Diabloii.Net Member

Can I offer you some cake? Oh and do bring some home to that fiance of yours.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Actually doesn't Anakha qualify as obese if you look at his BMI? He is what a 36?

8. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

I was so depressed after reading that article that I think I will make myself a chocolate malt.

9. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Poof! You're a chocolate malt.

10. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

The BMI is a load of crap. He's perfectly proportioned for his height, weight and muscle mass. The BMI also says that I am overweight although I am also in shape. It doesn't seem to cover the fact that people have a lot of muscle and that it weighs more than fat. I actually had a doctor tell me once that I had to lose 20 lbs to be within my ideal weight category. If I lost 20 lbs I would be a stick. Needless to say I never saw that doctor again.

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I know I know, I am a stick(well used to be) 112lb at 5'8". Which put me at 17 on the BMI scale. So I should be near needing to go to the hospital(if you are under 15 then you are supposed to see a doctor about eating because you are malnourished and regular food could kill you) I had a six pack and was fairly ripped. Now because I had to gain weight for an upcoming surgery I have a faint six pack and wouldn't classify as 'ripped'. But yeah, BMI is crap. It should be muscle density compared to body fat percentage and weight.

12. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng Diabloii.Net Member

You do realize that genetics play a role in how large an individual is, and how hard/easy it is for them to lose weight.

Edit: Since I included smoking in the quote...I agree with you 100%.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Not and excuse, that food still had to go down your throat to make you fat.

14. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer Diabloii.Net Member

Does anyone know how much harder it is for a female to lose weight due to the difference in metabolism when compared with a male?

I wouldnt mind if I was fat for a couple of months to see If I could lose the weight.

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Shouldn't be much harder if at all, weight lose is based on calories taken in to calories burned. Yeah yeah I know its more complicated than that, but that is the tried and true method.

Remember women have that nice layer of fat on them to help during pregnancy or whatever. Make sure you don't lose that, if you do then sternums start showing and hips are maiming small children and nobody wants that.

16. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng Diabloii.Net Member

So are you suggesting that people with slow metabolisms starve themselves? People still need nutrition. Not everyone who is fat lives on a Mcdonalds diet, sitting around a tv all day.

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Slow metabolisms don't turn things you need into fat. Your body only makes fat out of excess. If you don't eat in excess, you don't make fat. Slow metabolism or not.

18. KnightFall

KnightFall Diabloii.Net Member

Medical issues caused by weight should be paid for by people personally, not by the NHS. If your fat (90% of the time) then it's your own fault.

I have nothing against people who are overweight at all, but if they whinge well...

And what's this BMI? Body Mass Indicator??? Or something like that?

I am 25, 5'11'' and weigh 9.5 stonne (think that's 133lbs). Never weighed double figures in my life. I'm skinny due to family, I take after my Dads side and they are all very slim. Which is great because I can eat what I like and get away with it. I will probably end up with a nice beer belly when I hit about 35-40 like the old man though.

KnightFall

19. Namyeknom

Namyeknom Diabloii.Net Member

While genetics and natural metabolism do influence the ammount of food a body uses and stores, they won't have changed dramatically in the last 50 years. Certainly not enough for us to be producing children with a lower life expectancy then their partents.

The solution to this lies at the feet of society as a whole not the individual. Mass produced food is generally less healthy, as preservatives, aditives, and sugars make up for the general poor quality of the ingredients. Healthy food is generally seen as a luxury comodity, and priced accordingly by producers. Low income families in particular are almost force to eat unhealthily. I don't know what its like for the rest of the world, but over here schools are put under increasing pressure to provide enough hours of academic teaching, often at the expense of physical education.

I'm not saying that the individual bears no responsibility, but that the wide spread problem will not be stopped until society as a whole takes action. Its not enough to say that people just shouldn't eat as much.

Also studies have shown that its a bodies natural response to store food if its recieving less. When theres less food coming in, the body naturally builds up stores to guard against future lack of food. Thats why often the progress of weight loss when taking a diet will stop after the first couple of weeks, as the body starts to store what it was previously expelling.

20. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

That is because I disappeared him....