Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what are the odds of finding a soj, realy.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by wedoz, Feb 17, 2004.

1. wedoz

wedoz IncGamers Member

what are the odds of finding a soj, realy.

like back when there was that big ol discussion on the odds of finding a zod are like 1 in 10000000000 etc. and the odds of finding a ber are "xxxx amt"

anyone happen to know what the odds are of a soj dropping? i don't think i've ever seen this question asked on here. if it was, i realy missed it :scratch:

2. Hells_Trinity

Hells_Trinity IncGamers Member

good question id like to know that too
    all i know is theres people like me who have never seen one dropped and then there are people who have had like 3 drop for them
    really frustrating...

3. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Im convinced its just all about your luck . I've played D2 since the first week it was on the shelf .

Prior to 1.10 I found 3 soj total .
    Since 1.10 went active Ive found 2 .

Good luck they are a rare unique to find Imo .

4. conan

conan IncGamers Member

Dont know the odds but in 1.09 i found maybe 12 sojs mainly in cows and since 1.10 i found 3 doing pit runs, im convinced that the way to overcome the massive odds, you just have to kill BILLIONS and BILLIONS of monsters, everyone has a story how a shako or a zod or a soj pops out of a chest or some unimportant monster at the most unsuspected time, well thats luck for ya, if you dont want to face billion to one odds just PLAY the game, kill everything you can and you will be surprised at the most amazing times, thats why this game and its concept is so popular i think

5. Nutz0

Nutz0 IncGamers Member

Yep, I have played this game since only a short while after it came out and it took me until about a week or two ago to find my first ever. And it dropped from a not so impressing uniqe monster in the Stoney field while having killed tons of bosses and did a lot of cowruns in the past.

6. ch33s3 m4st3r

ch33s3 m4st3r IncGamers Member

I've been playing for 2 years and i've never found one.

7. Malachi

Malachi Banned

8. ericbres

ericbres IncGamers Member

Me too ... never even traded for one.
    I once offered my complete stash of 26 PSkulls for one ... no takers.
    As a matter of fact, I think I have only even SEEN one once.

9. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Technically NM Andarial has the highest chance of dropping a Stone of Jordan. Andarial in nightmare has about a 1.35% chance of actually dropping a unique ring, and as the guy mentioned in the other thread, she can only drop three of them, so out of all unique ring drops you have a 1 in 31 chance of actually finding a Stone of Jordan. However on the flip side, that also means you have 30 in 31 chance to find a unique ring that isn't a Stone of Jordan.

If that still sounds hopeful, I want to crush your dreams of finding a Stone of Jordan from nightmare Andarial even more. Let's say you kill nightmare andarial 250 times. You will statistically find 3.377 rings, or realistically 3, maybe four (maybe five or maybe 2, but we're calculating here). So lets say you got a little lucky and found four unique rings in your 250 nightmare Andarial runs. Hooray! Out of those four rings, you have approximately a 12.904% chance that one will be a Stone of Jordan. What? 250 Andarial runs and only a 12.904% practical chance to find a Stone of Jordan.

Do 1000 NM Andarial runs? You'll find 13 or 14 unique rings probably, since every run you have about a 1.35% chance of dropping one. Yay 14 unique rings! Whoops, even if you could do Andarial runs invariably in one minute, with no bathroom breaks, you just spent sixteen hours and forty minutes killing a monster and you STILL only have about a 45% chance of actually finding a Stone of Jordan. But don't get me wrong, you could do one nightmare Andarial run and find a Stone of Jordan right off the bat. But you have a 0.043575621935483870967741935483871% chance of it.

Note: Some calculations may be incorrect as I did this on the fly.

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I can see it now, Usufruct and his compact dual powered calculator.

11. Thanatosia

Thanatosia IncGamers Member

You maximize your odds of finding a SoJ by killing things with an Ilv between 39 and 52. Ravenfrost and Dwarfstar are both Ilv53, so if you cross that line your odds of getting a SoJ plummet greatly. SoJ is Ilv39.

If you are realy serious about hunting for a SoJ, your best bet to deliberately search for one is to MF the higher Alv regions of nightmare untill you get a Nagelring or Manauld Heal to drop. After one of those drop, go back to the earlier areas and totaly clean the game of all monsters with Mlvs between 39 and 52, and your chances of getting a SoJ will be as high as its possible to get them (wich is'nt to say they'd be good).