Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What are different ways to get hacked?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lyndis, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What are different ways to get hacked?

I've never downloaded any 3rd party programs, nor have I ever given out my password, not even to people on my friends list. Despite that, my main accounts are hacked and most of my valuable items taken. How can that be so? There is "evidence" of who did it, although that could've been planted. In one of my accounts there is a char called "HackedByLOTD" and one of the people on my friends list is from the LOTD clan. However, that could've just been planted by the hacker to make me suspicious of someone on my list. I haven't been able to confront the person on my friends list yet.

I am very saddened...but I'm not ready to quit D2 just yet. I need to know hwo to further protect myself in the future.

EDIT: My password is also not easy to guess.

2. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

The same thing happened to me. Just suck it up, change your password and continue on from scratch as I (and Im sure lots of others) did. Hacking is the same as burglarizing. If they want in bad enough they will get in.

3. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

But how can I change my password? And what ELSE can I do to protect myself in the future?

4. ael

ael IncGamers Member

If you havent been long in your clan than maybe its just a fake clan. Basicaly a group of ppl who use your clan forum pass in hope that you have the same pass as your account pass.

5. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

I haven't joined a clan. I have someone on my friends list in a clan. That clan is allegedly the people that hacked my account, although I have no substancial proof.

6. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

Do they have a website they told you to visit that could have ran a script upon visiting? (Dont post it here, just asking as that is a known hack)

7. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Misread your first post sorry.

Try to think bavk, you must have had some malicious experience, otherwise this would have never happened.

8. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

They did no such thing. More important, how do I change my password?

9. Spellsinger

Spellsinger IncGamers Member

There is an option on the login screen to change your password.

10. pliu

pliu Banned

There is an option labeled something like change password along with create new account in the login screen. Just look other options when you login you will find it. I can't use D2 now, so I am not sure about the detail.

11. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

try to change ur pw to ascii form as it is much harder to crack those passes.

12. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Hm, call me suspicious beyond reason but:

- never downloaded anything
    - didn't visit fishy website
    - didn't say pass to anyone
    - complex password

I haven't downloaded anything, but I've visited websites, told lots of people my pass, it's fairly easy to guess even if you don't have a clue, and guess what, in 4-5 years of playing online, I have never been hacked (onto my account that is)

So wasup with all these guys/gals getting hacked? (every day we see a few of these threads here, I don't even blink my eyes anymore when reading it)

13. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Apparently you're not the only one that got hacked yesterday/today on west realm. Someone is hacked in this thread, and someone else here.

14. kikomun

kikomun IncGamers Member

add this to the list

damn what's happening to uswest

15. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

All they need to know is youre acc name. Its a pass breaking tool they use. It sucks :(

16. oban

oban IncGamers Member

A few notes on password security in general :

a) Don't use a password that means something, even if "only" to you. That is, your dog's name, birthdates, words relating to what the password is protecting, etc. are all (relatively) common and guessable, even when you substitute characters or numbers for letters.

b) If you're using a password with real words, substitute characters or numbers for letters, but not the obvious characters. Everybody uses 3 for e, 4 for A, etc. Substitute characters that _don't_ look like the characters they're representing.

c) Leading and trailing blanks are your friend, if they are usable. Blanks are always good.

d) When you divide words, don't divide along syllables, root and suffix/prefix, etc. For instance, use ba_seball, not base_ball.

e) Don't choose passwords to fit the maximum length. Choose passwords that exceed the maximum length and concatenate them.

Automatically-updated virus and firewall software is a must. Don't rely on the built-in firewall and learn how to fully use your third-party firewall software. Do install the MS security patches, unless you really know what you're doing and have a specific reason to skip one.

Also, if you really want to frustrate potential hackers, do what I do. Make a nice easy account name and password, but fill the account with lousy characters with no loot. That'll teach 'em.

17. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

My password are either random strings of numbers of random combinations of letters and numbers. Basically impossible to guess. I'm good about using strong passwords. Lost SO much crap...

*cries*

18. oban

oban IncGamers Member

You might want to do a full system scan just to be sure there's nothing malicious around, especially if you know you had strong password. It's one thing to lose your hard work in a game, quite another to lose real data, personal information, etc.

19. CheeseCheese

CheeseCheese IncGamers Member

Uh oh..and I was planning on moving the West..Lol.

20. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

I already scanned for spyware. Nothing out of the ordinary it seems. Started a virus scan but I doubt that's the problem.