Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What am I missing by not playing on battle.net, and a couple more questions.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Stewie, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

What am I missing by not playing on battle.net, and a couple more questions.

1)I've only been playing Single Player and not battle.net, what am I missing by doing this as far as items/runes and everything else goes?

2)Also, I have a couple questions regarding battle.net. I can't get on, and it says the error: "If using a modem, you may need to connect to your Internet Service Provider before connecting to Battle.net. For more information please visit www.battle.net/support/errormessages/"

I admit previously I played on a downloaded version, just to test the waters and see if I would be interested in coming back. I was. I went out and bought the game, but I can't get onto battle.net. I assume it's from the .iso torrent file, and I may have been temporarily banned, at least what I've read seems to lead to that conclusion. Am I screwed?

I have the latest patched version, ports are open, and stuff. Not sure if I'm missing anything except for the banned part, lol.

Thanks for your help

2. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

Re: What am I missing by not playing on battle.net, and a couple more questions.

A world of grief and despair...

Runewords? Nothing if you use the Runeword Mod.

3. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

Re: What am I missing by not playing on battle.net, and a couple more questions.

I guess the reason I ask is because I hear of Ladders and stuff, which I have no clue what they are, admittedly I haven't looked up what they are, though. I just figured I was missing out on the possibility of getting better gear, or having better runes drop or something.

Isn't the Runeword mod cheating in a way? Maybe I don't know how it works.

I don't want to do any sort of hacking of the sort, or modding if I can help it. I want the game to be as hard as it should be I guess. But fill me in on the runeword mod please.

4. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

Runeword mod basically activates the Ladder only Runewords on Single Player. Very few players regard the Runeword mod as cheating, most of the players in the Single Player forum use the Runeword mod.

5. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

Oh I see. I looked up "Ladder only runewords" on google, found out that a few of the more valuable/important runewords are on ladder. Thanks a bunch, and I realize why it's not cheating anymore. lol

6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Ladder is supposed to be a race to level 99 primarily - but as the majority (if not all) the names you see on the current ladder are players using illegal third party programs to automate the leveling process, short of a team of players working around the clock, competing against competition that doesn't sleep, eat or think has pretty much killed that aspect.

As for benefits, the primary one is the ladder-only runewords, which as has been mentioned has been covered by a mod approved by the SPF. Non-ladder is primarily where characters go when a ladder season has ended, assuming they haven't been deleted by the three month inactivity rule. The experience is mostly the same, as the main thing differing would be the availability of ladder-only runewords. They are added to the market only when ladder characters get converted to non-ladder, so are in much shorter supply.

Now, as for the difference between bnet and single player, three main things differ, pvp, the pandemonium event (uber tristram) and UberDiablo (dclone). Pvp is possible through tcp/ip, hamachi, or open bnet - open is generally not recommended as edited items aren't regulated here.

A modified Dclone and Uberland experience can be had on SP. However, several key factors are different and the mod that offers these is not approved by the SP community here.

7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Interaction with other humans.
    But mostly we
    1) Ignore U (90%)
    2) Suck and/or make fun of U regardless of what U do (8%)
    3) (2%) occasionally might be someone you have to spend even more time with than the game already already takes out out your life,
    (the results below largely depend on your responses to them)
    sometimes with great rewards but sometimes with a net loss and a feeling that you've been pissed on.

4) The comments in this thread should give U a idea of what you've been missing.

EDit : Oh wait I forgot...
    LAG
    or in the NSFW Version

If you lucky enough to have made friends that play and can play well you can kind of dominate lots of real life people that are silly enough to play on realms without a lot of skilled friends and are not in the first 90% though.
    If that's worth anything to you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Hellfire Torch and Annihilus is two things you'll miss out on if youre playing unmodded singleplayer.

- D.J.

9. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

They're also overpowered and unnecessary.

10. Ltdx

Ltdx IncGamers Member

very true

but u are missing out on lots of items and making friends?

11. Gorny

Gorny Banned

You'd be surprised at how many people are playing SP here.

12. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

I thought a recent patch changed a bunch but not all runewords from "ladder only"?

Am I wrong? Could someone tell me at what rune-finding levels this starts to become an issue?

Also, @Gorny: For the Alliance! For Moonglade! Feral 4 life!

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

^.^ What server/battlegroup??

:evil: