Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What am i looking for?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Groggery, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Groggery

Groggery IncGamers Member

What am i looking for?

Been a lurker for some time , got bored , installed D2 again though i don't know what i need to do to get what i expected out of classic. If anyone could answer the following questions i'd be grateful.

1. I see guides supposedly for classic and most of them begin with ''MF''. Now when i was still playing D2 (and that was a damn long time ago) a magic find build was a character that you'd use just to get items , transfer them to your real character and then discard. Why do i see so many MF builds here and not any actuall pvm ones?

2. Why are most of the guides using uniques and set items instead of the random godly rares that classic is suppose to be all about?

3. What version of the game...um...*focuses* most on having your best items for any build be rares?

4. I don't mind D2 in 640x480 , i can stand that , since all the higher resolutions do (imo) is just make everything smaller and further away from the screen - but is there anything that smoothes out the pixels/edges of what i see ingame?

5. Doesn't a patch like 1.13 add runewords and uniques to classic , thus slightly defeating it's purpose even if it's not directly LOD? (haven't been playing for half a decade , so i really don't know)

Thanks in advance.

2. earthrug

earthrug IncGamers Member

Re: What am i looking for?

1. Have you seen the guide sticky here? Some good PVM builds there.

2. IDK but guesstimate that because the uniques and set are easily found and work well for PvM that they are used as base equipment for guides.

3. IMO high level duels are where GG rares come into play the most.

4. IDK

5. 1.13 patch did not add any runewords or new uniques to classic.

Hope these thoughts help somewhat. Have fun playing!

3. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Since Earthrug already answered the other questions far better then I could have, I'll just answer question 4 :
    As far as I know, there is no (legal) method to smooth pixels or edges in Diablo 2.
    And if there is a illegal(by way of a third party program, plugin or dll) method, it is not allowed to be discussed here.
    Personally, I find the pixelation adds to the charm of Diablo. Since Diablo 2 uses cardboards, the graphics are in Diablo at that resolution, so 'smoothing' them(if it where possible) would only blur everything you see(blur-o-vision).

4. Groggery

Groggery IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answers to 2 , 4 and 5. Good explanation about the graphics , didn't know that.

Edit: well i managed to get the other answers from elsewhere. Now all i need to know is - are the current WW barb builds intended for 1.13 classic?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Actually it is possible to smooth pixelation without blur but might need some low level graphics driver or something to do it legit i guess? Nintendo emulators use this to good effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art_scaling_algorithms

6. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

The WW builds have not really changed troughout all patches.

7. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Become few people seem to PvM nowadays; after spending the time to get the "good" items, they try to build PvP chars.
    Especially since we have learned that hell CS is the only place to score 'best' items.

I disagree.
    Id rather say that most guides recommend the same equipment...

Im not sure if you know, but when you install LOD, you can play classic (just uncheck "expansion char") and have 800:600 resolution.
    Also, if you want to smoothen the pixels, maybe just set up your driver not to stretch the screen... but everything will be small then.

no, the patch doesnt add anything to classic
    they have weakened lightning sorcs (and I think some other build), which balances them a bit in LOD, but makes them even worse in classic (where they were weak and now even weaker)

8. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

As of final 1.13 release, light skills haven't been changed. That was temporarily on beta realm.