Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WhaddooIdoowiddis?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ZappaFan, Feb 2, 2004.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

WhaddooIdoowiddis?

Found a unique spired helm in WS3 this morning on a hell baal run:

Nightwing's Veil
    Defense: 218.5-352 (Base Defense: 114-159)
    Required Level: 67
    Required Strength: 96
    Durability: 40
    +90-120% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +2 To All Skills
    +8-15% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)
    +10-20 To Dexterity (varies)
    +5-9 Cold Absorb (varies)
    Half Freeze Duration
    Requirements -50%

The other unique spired helm was one of the hardest to find worthless pieces of crap in the game iirc. This one looks like it could be useful. -50% req actually brings this down into range for most characters possibly.

What's this thing good for? Yeah, shako is better, but every character can't be wearing a shako as nice as that would be.

2. moby

moby IncGamers Member

Might look nice on my all cold sorc. A socr with a spired helm will at the very least get style points.

-moby

3. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Frost Maiden! Strenght req easily attained with most bow reqs.

Wonder if it would help a HF Merc? Not taht HF damage is all taht great but hell its something!

Of course a Cold sorc maybe.

Wonder if a wind druid would get the cold boost? Avenger?

Hell save it for a rainy day and a new "challenge build" if this ladder season runs to long!

4. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

frostarrow ama cold damage% and dexterity mod fits here.

regards
    jedi

5. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Forget about shako, that is the past, Zappafan you found the most usefull orbmepher's helmet. When i found mine, i started building my mephsorc and by the time she was ready i found ormus robe's. Together they give me + 25% cold dmg. Remember, you do not need mf to run meph! I did about 300 runs now and i find his drops the same as in 1.9.

6. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

Zappa , you and i both are on West ;)

7. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Er...you do need mf.Mf affects boss drops.It was thought not to,but Jamella proved it did,and GFrazier admitted that Jamella was right.

8. ZappaFan

Well I just started a Sorc but wasn't sure what I was going to do with 'er. I was thinking she was going to be a fire sorc so I named her HotMama_HC (HotMama was already taken). Maybe I could still make her cold and have the name be a clever play on words! Yeah! I meant to do that all along!

9. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Too late already.

10. Pezeteros

Pezeteros IncGamers Member

Lucky you. I found the Veil of steel one, and happened to be ethereal too. I guess it makes a happy Emilio since he made the kill either way hehe

11. annr

annr IncGamers Member

i was reading the stats of that helm on the battle.net arreats whatever site and was thinking, thats awesome cool.

nice find

12. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

I'd go with a frostmaiden or an artic blast druid. yah. have a blast getting blasted.

13. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Well, i get kinda the same drops as in 1.9 only this time i have no mf, so, with 400%mf that would make arcaine's drop everytime then or what? I do not understand this.

14. ZappaFan

Whazza frostmaiden? Sorc?

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Frostmaiden is a bow toten Freezing arrow shooting blonde headed wench!

16. annr

annr IncGamers Member

zon that uses the cold bow skill thinger

17. ZappaFan

aka Manaholic!

18. p-ball

p-ball Banned

ahh the never ending mf question...
    with or without mf you can find any item in the game (providing the monsters TC drop is high enough). so for example we'll take hell baal since he can drop anything in the game.

someone from the stats forum is probably going to come and correct me, but this is the jist of how it works...

you finally kill baal...
    calculation #1: it figures out which TC will drop. it tries TC 90. rolls it. if succeeds it goes to calculation 2. if not it tries 87... 84...81 etc. until it succeeds.

#1A i'm not sure if its actually part of #1 or a separate one all together. at some point it has to choose between TC90 weapon and TC90 armor.

calculation #2: it then picks an item from that TC. each TC has a certain number of items in it usually ranging from 6-15 or so. class specific are more rare than all the other items. IIRC it has a 1/3 chance of dropping compared to an item any class can use. thats why nats claw, or any scissors suwayah(sp) for that matter, doesn't drop every 2 seconds. eventually an item is chosen.

the above calculations and rolls have absolutely nothing to do with mf. it is pure luck.

calculation #3: this is the only part that mf affects, which is item quality. because i don't know the exact figures, i'm just arbitrarily choosing some for the sake of explanation. so i'll say on baal's drop its got 70% chance to be magic, 20% to be rare, 7% to be set, and 3% to be unique.
    the calculation begins from the highest and goes to the lowest quality. so with your 400% mf you have a 4 times greater chance of it being unique. so on that first unique roll it now has a 12% chance to be unique. but for the sake of argument that roll fails. now it has a 28% chance to be set. (NOTE: if there is no set or unique for a certain item but the roll succeeds it becomes a rare with double (set) or triple (unique) durability). tries rare then magic and so on. below magic is socketed then superior then normal. i've never seen baal drop an item lower than magic so i didnt include them, but you get the picture. at some point it detemines whether it is eth or not as well during this process.

now to answer the question of why you don't get an arkaine's valor every time. first getting an 80something TC to drop is hard enough, but then for it to select a balrog skin out of that TC and for it to be unique... doesn't seem as likely anymore does it? ;)

thus ends my tutorial on item drops. it may not be exactly right, but for the most part it is close enough.

19. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Basically mf increases the chance of an item being unique/set/rare when it drops.Doesnt affect the item itself,just its quality.I get an average of 2-3 uniques/sets per meph run with 750%mf

20. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

p-ball: Your guide is right to the point and very informative for those who don't know the innermost workings of migaic find. However, the largest "conceptual" error in the breakdown would be that MF scales linearly, while in fact, it does not.

"so with your 400% mf you have a 4 times greater chance of it being unique."

...is not true, because there are (severe) deminishing returns for an item being unique/rare (and set to some extent) when closing in on the higher %'ages of MF worn. With 400% MF, you have a ~2.4 times higher chance for the item to be unique than with 0 MF. With 750% MF, the chance is ~2.8 times higher.

For general drops, the chance of the item being 'magical', is linear to the MF worn, ie, 400% gives a 4 times higher chance, while 750% gives 7.5 times dito. Rares and sets are in between.

The point being: It's not always worth scrificing survivability/speed gear for more MF if it means slower/more dangerous runs!

(This is the old calculations and if they changed something in 1.10 then I might be wrong.)