Whacked out teacher thread #3148

Anakha1

Banned
Whacked out teacher thread #3148

ORAN, Missouri (AP) -- A teacher resigned last month after duct-taping a misbehaving seventh-grader to his desk and covering his mouth with tape, the school superintendent said Wednesday.

The parents of 14-year-old Tommy Brindley said the boy nearly suffocated before freeing himself about 15 minutes later.

It happened February 19 at the elementary-middle school in Oran, a town of about 1,000 residents 120 miles south of St. Louis.

Tommy was in detention for being late to school three times, said his father, Larry Brindley. He began acting up during detention.

"He has attention deficit disorder, and he was misbehaving," Brindley said. "He had some kind of a sponge and was throwing it. He wasn't being mean. He was just being ornery."

The teacher, a 21-year veteran of the district, "just kind of snapped," Brindley said.

Superintendent Tom Anderson said the teacher, whose name was not released, directed two other students to help her tape Tommy to his desk.

The family is still considering pursuing criminal charges and a lawsuit, Brindley said. Police did not immediately return a call.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/03/03/taped.to.desk.ap/index.html

Although I think she deserves whatever punishment she gets for endangering the kid's life like that, secretly I can't really blame her. I couldn't do that job. With the kids today, I'd snap like that about 10 times an hour.

Silvermyst

Diabloii.Net Member
On the whacked out teacher scale, this ranks top with the teacher who caged some misbehaving kids.

But yeah, teaching anything but university must be hell.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
teaching at a university you get to deal with ****in psycho college students who want to know how they could possibly not get an A on their damn paper because they friggin get A's on everything *murder*

hmm, I wonder what I should do with my life, what can you do as a History Major besides teach History?

Anakha1

Banned
Ash Housewares said:
teaching at a university you get to deal with ****in psycho college students who want to know how they could possibly not get an A on their damn paper because they friggin get A's on everything *murder*

hmm, I wonder what I should do with my life, what can you do as a History Major besides teach History?

Get a job on TLC or the History channel?

According to the U of Ottawa website on a history major:

Most common career opportunities
Archivist
Author
Document retriever
Historian
Journalist
Librarian
Library technician
Political consultant
Research officer
Research assistant
Teacher

Work Fields
Administration
Art
Communication
Geography
Journalism
Museology
Politic
Religion
Research
Rights
Teaching

Work Places
Archives
Governments
Libraries
Museums
Non-retail art galleries
Printing companies
Private organizations
Production companies
Publishing companies
Research agencies
Teaching establishments

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
eh you weren't sposed to answer, they have a career center for that crap, they gave me a handout, atleast I'm not a philosophy major, phew

spose I'll go write a book about something

Anakha1

Banned
Career Prospects in Philosophy

Art critic
Ethics consultant
Journalist
Political critic
Press agent
Public servant
Research officer
Speech and content analyst
Teacher
We're just kidding, you can't do **** all with a degree in philosophy. Go join a cult.

Work Fields
Administration
Communications
Correctional services
Counselling
Critical analysis
History
Law
Literature
Politics
Politics and programs
Psychology
Religion
Research
Social services
Social work
Socio-economic inequities
Sociology
Teaching
Writing

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm scared of libraries and museums make me sick, I spose that doesn't help

wait.... I forgot!... I'm an ***hole, I can still teach thank God, too bad I'm lazy and stupid, oh well :yawn: :sleep: :drool:

Suicidal Zebra

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
Career Prospects in Philosophy

We're just kidding, you can't do **** all with a degree in philosophy. Go join a cult.
:lol: :lol:

Thank Basil I am doing a Maths Degree.

Silvermyst

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:

lol, point taken. I've only just started university, so I can't say I've encountered the scum of uni society yet :p

Jigga-Scrooge

Diabloii.Net Member
if i were to teach, it would have to be in high school or higher so you can atleast have a somewhat intelligent conversation.

thejdawg2

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think students in college still expect to get As on everything once you get out of 100 level courses. I've seen other students complain about their grades on papers, and Imore than teachers I've see care I've seen teachers that have laughed in their face.

"You think you deserve an A? I've been teaching this class for X amount of years, graded hundreds, if not thousands of similar papers, have my doctorate, and you think you deserve an A?"

But yeah, I doubt this kid almost suffocated. The teacher was definitely over the line, but I bet the kid's a flaming douchebag.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Presses charges? She should be given a frickin' medal. Maybe my highschool experience would have better back in the day had more of my teachers "snapped" on some of the idiots.

Mister 4

Diabloii.Net Member
Almost suffocated?

Should've breathed through his nose.

A teacher wouldn't tape a student to a chair, and shut them up with the same tape without good reason.

toader

Banned
Ash Housewares said:
spose I'll go write a book about something
Ash? Are you sure you have enough to say to write a book? Sometimes your a little short on words or dont wanna speak up.
:drool:

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
I think teaching university classes could be pretty cool. I just had a midterm yesterday and I showed up about 2 hours early to study. I ran into the professor at the study lounge. He pulled up a chair and just chilled with us. Pretty cool to see a guy in his late 30's telling jokes to a bunch of 1st years.

Sergeant

Diabloii.Net Member
Now, I don't condone what that teacher did but, at the same time, I bet that kid had it coming. Problem is, there's no authority for teachers anymore to discipline children. Used to be growing up if I got out of line in class, the teacher yelled, if I kept at it I got my butt hauled to the office, forcibly. Nowadays, teachers TOUCH a kid and they're gone, kid claiming assault or some other nonsense, whether it was or not.

Problem is kids don't respect teachers or other adults for the most part cause most kids know what they can do to adults if they get the better of them.

If that teacher had been in the business for 21 years, I seriously doubt what this kid was doing was minor. Like someone else said, I bet this kid is a flaming douchebag and had it coming.