Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WF Sux

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Sorgath, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Sorgath

Sorgath IncGamers Member

WF Sux

Well.. Since I started posting (2 posts with no replies..) I have made 2 new amazon chars. The first one totally sucked with windforce, - and I had upgraded her wrong too, since I had 150 stat points in vitality. So I use Mavina gear on her instead now.

So I started a new char. This time it was all about the DEX. Atm she is lvl 83. I have 400 Dex, (Without Raven Frosts) and base MANA/Vitality. Her strength is 170 or something (I use items which gives me more strength).

I have maxed out Guided Arrow, Strafe, Critical Strike and Penetrate. And I have some points in evade and those skills. I have no points in Penetrate. I was thinking of using that pierce belt..im not sure. I can still give penetrate some points though, I do have some skill points left. Is penetrate of such importance?

Well.. My gear is:
    -Windforce 40% IAS
    -Lionheart Armor(Great Hauberk)
    -Andariels Visage with 15% IAS jewel = 35% IAS
    -Highlords Wrath 20% IAS
    -Marrowwalk boots (Gives 17 DEX and 13 Strength I think)
    -Goldwrap 10% IAS
    -Ring 1: Dual leech (7/6%) and some resistances on it
    -Ring 2: Dwarf Star
    -Gloves: 20% IAS, 27% lightning resistance and +25 dex
    = 125% IAS.

My strafe dmg is: 168-2442
    My GA dmg is: 224-3230

When I play in single player, in hell.. she just isn't any good at all! It takes so damn much time to kill everything compared to my javazon. I have not tried her so much in PvP, - but I guess she sux there as well.. What is she good for? Nothing.

WF - The best weapon in the game - or.. oh well.. At least one of the best. And it sucks so much ?? :scratch:

Is my gear really that bad? What am I doing wrong? Do I need lots of poison charms? Would a Raven Frost make any difference? (Well, I know that ring wouldn't make a difference).. Btw.. I maxed out GA because I thought this was a good PvP skill.

2. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

You mean Pierce, right?

I don't see your problem. My wf zon has not maxed GA, but instead maxed Valk, and has a fair amount invested in passives (9/6/1 respectively). She absolutely slaughters everything. WTF?

3. MrPipes

MrPipes IncGamers Member

I've got a lvl 76 amazon, who uses act 2 blessed aim mercenary. my build is as follows:

Mav's Helm
    Windforce
    Laying Of Hands
    Waterwalks (going to get some War Travs)
    Goldwrap
    Life Leech Ring with Great Resists
    Ravenfrost
    Atma's Scarab
    Wealth Armor (right now, I'd like to get a Skullders or something)

She's mainly used for running the Pit. Her skills are as follows:

Strafe: 20
    Freezing Arrow: 20
    Cold Arrow: 3
    Evade/Dodge/Decoy: 2
    Critical Strike/Penetrate/Pierce: 1
    Valkyrie: 20 (well, as of now it's only 14 but I'm on my way to maxing it)

I'm confuseed as to why people would put any more than the prerequisite of 1 for Critical Strike or 1 for Pierce for that matter. In my opinion, Pierce is not that big of a deal, unless you're doing something like Cowing or something (with Multi). Again, these are my thoughts. My Blessed Aim gives me sufficient attack rating to have a 90% to hit rating against anything in the Pit. Freezing Arrow is my back up, just in case. Valk and Merc also come in handy as I never get hit.

I feel your maxed Penetrate and Critical Strike could have gone somewhere more useful. This is my input. My zon has no problem killing.

The only problem she has is finding something good. I don't find much in the Pits...oh well, keep running them and something is bound to drop.

(by the way; things like +350% Damage to Demon's from Laying of Hands and the Atma's Scarab really go a long way in killing things)

4. tl998

tl998 Banned

Well first off you must realize that Javazons are completely overpowered. This is like complaining that a Daggermancer doesn't kill as quickly as a Hammerdin can.

Second of all, with base vitality, no wonder you're sucking. This isn't 1.09.

Thirdly, if you think that a WF sucks, please, donate it to me. I'd be happy to take that 'sucky' weapon out of your hands.

5. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

my 84 strafe zon does fine with a wf, the only problems i had were attack ratting, but once i fixed that she does great for what i built her for, flayer and pit runs

you probly need a might merc, with mine, i do 3200 strafe dmg, wich is plent to mow most things down in a few shots

and you need wayyy more vit, my base stats are just enough str for skulders, just enough dex for wf, then the rest into vit, base energy

6. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

well you have wqay to little life you wasted points into critical strike.

if you meant that you maxed it...

whats your valk at?

basicly a zon dont need more then 134 str max for windforce about 70-120 vita and then the rest in dex.

for a strafezon its fairly simple to put out the points too.

a example could be

9 critical strike

20 strafe

17 valk

8 pierce(if you use razortail you then have 98% pierce)

enough in the avoid, dogde, evade skills to feel confortable myself i leave them at 1 point.

and as i like to hit the monsters i max penetrate but thats optional.

also more or less all bowazons want a raven frost.

and what about your merc??

and your damage seems way to low to me heck i nearly do the damage you do with a upgraded lycanders when i strafe.

my damage is 575-1622 with help of my poison and fine small charms count in my might merc and i do 687-2129

so i want to know how the heck i can outdamage your little zon while i strafe with a upgraded lycanders.

max pierce is by the way a total waste.

EDIT: and whats your ar?

myself i have 9000+ with strafe and 15000+ with magic arrow

i have 95% chance to hit when i run the pit

mayby something you should look into

EDIT: not 15000+ with ma its 14644 to be exact

7. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

First off: The Windforce does not suck. I don't care what your argument is, this bow is the best in the game. (Excluding possible runewords etc...)

Then...you said you maxed guided arrow...now why would you do that? And base vitality? Geez....why could you be dieing? :scratch:

Sorry for getting a little worked up but a lot of your statements aren't founded on solid arguments.

Try following guides and threads discussing important things to consider when making a 1.10 char.

-Backdoor Bandit

8. Sorgath

Sorgath IncGamers Member

Hm! Many replies

Ill try to answer you all here:

My attack rating is 7000. (It's the same with Guided Arrow)

I have no points in vitality because I read some guide that said it was good to have as much dex as possible (1.09 guide prolly then, hehe). I have asked some friends and other players, and they all say I should max out CS - so I did. They also said I should MAX out penetrate, - and put 10 points in Pierce (I have not put any points in pierce yet)

Hm I wanted a good PvP player too, so I maxed out Guided Arrow (the best PvP skill they claim).. I have 2 points in my Valkyrie I think..

I don't have any merc! A friend of mine told me if I bought an offensive merc in nightmare, I could get twice the dmg if I upgraded him.

Seems like I have to make yet another amazon char,*lol*.

Say.. Is it possible to build a hybrid-zon? I would like to do pit runs with her, and I would also like to do some PvP with her. I could need some suggestions on good mf equipment for pit runs - and what equipment I should use for PvP.

Also: When I do pit runs with my javazon, - I do them alone with 7 other players on the server. No problems for her there, really. But would an amazon with WF (like the one im going to build - again) kill QUICKLY and have no problems there at all?

Thanks for your replies! :clap:

9. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

Maxing out guided arrow is clearly a waste of points. The damage bonus you get is minimal, one point that is boosted with +skill items is plenty. Also, try to get your valc to slvl 17. I find that she is most effective then, mainly because of the sexy weapon she gets :clap:

Perhaps you should get a holy freeze merc to gain more crowd control or a might merc to dramatically increase your dmg. And yes, my bowazon tears through the pits with no problems at all :thumbsup:

-Backdoor Bandit

10. zei_incarnate

zei_incarnate IncGamers Member

It could just be a matter that your playing style doesn't match your build. WF is a very good bow, no doubt about it, but it is also very slow (slowest possible base speed for a bow).

If you're used to playing characters who are fast, or watching other bowazons mowing down monsters with great speed, perhaps your zon isn't living up to your expectations.

A bow with faster base speed can achieve those fast attack speeds without dedicating all gear to ias (which you would pretty much have to do with WF). You can devote your gear to other cool things like chance to cast amp dmg, resists, or whatever you like.

I personally use a cruel matriarchal bow. I need a total of 75% ias to reach 8/2 speed. A WF would need 147% total ias for the same speed (minus the 20% ias already built into it). Not everyone needs to shoot that fast, but I prefer it by far.

For pvm, I would recommend a few points into multi-shot. It can clear areas like the chaos sancuary or the cow level faster than any other bow skill. I like using both strafe and multi, and I use lvl 1 guided vs certain bosses.

BTW, base vitality is fine in 1.10. Zons need life less than any other class. Mine has 350 life and is never in danger of dying in hell. Most of time, monsters should be dead before they get a chance to attack you.

11. hittitian

hittitian IncGamers Member

I'd say your problem would come from your char level. The power of WF kicks in around level +90 when you're level is high enough to hit monsters even with fairly low attack rating. This will synergize with the level-depend increased dmg of WF, and you zon will do fairly good job in hell.

Probably, you may have not noticed your zon actually doesn't hit that many unless you carefully checked how much mana and life she leeches from monsters. You could say level 83 is enough, but I'd say it is not enough. Whatever the math for the chance to hit monster is, unless you get to +90, your zon may not be able to work fully as a WF zon you have imagined.

However, the truth is that bowazons are not any longer that much powerful, and regardless what kind of build we try, we can never get back those golden days of zons armed with cheap burritos and cruels butchering cows like nothing. If you played 1.09 with a WF, don't expect that much killing power now. There are other classes that would do better jobs who had been under the shadows of nerfing in 1.09.

12. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

13. Gx_Eternal

Gx_Eternal IncGamers Member

As ive never had the joy of owning a wf i cant really comment on your idea of it sucking. But its deffinetly something new to hear.

personaly ive always been partial to xbows myself. I have a lvl 76 bowazon now and she has a 198% buriza and a hellcast. And i do fairly good with thats.

14. tl998

tl998 Banned

Like I said, I'll still that WF from ya if you don't want it. You are expecting way too much from your characters.

15. BT-LightDash

BT-LightDash IncGamers Member

For pvp u must max out guided arrow
    And wf is the best bow and can only be matched by godly rares which would probably drop when diablo 3 is out =)

16. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Wake up people THIS ISN'T 1.09!!! Base vitality will get you killed quite quickly by something as small as a stray shot from a fanat or might ranged monster. Unless you want to pack on mass life charms (far better spent on damage and elemental charms), get your vitality up to at least 70 or 80 base. Monsters pack a wallop and you will die awfully often as a bowazon at high levels with base vitaliy unless you have some insane gear and micromanagement skills.