Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WF Bowazon, IAS and skills question

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by C Elegans, Mar 28, 2004.

1. C Elegans

C Elegans IncGamers Member

WF Bowazon, IAS and skills question

A Windforce just dropped off an Oblivion Knight in Chaos Sanctuary :), so now I am building my first 1.10 Bowazon. Are the IAS breakpoints the same as in 1.09 or have they changed? And what about Strafe/Multi in 1.10? Since the Bowie is not as popular now in 1.10, I can't find any updated guides.

Thanks in advance!

2. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Go for strafe, aim for 120% IAS - Highlords/Cat's Eye, IAS Gloves, ED/Min WF, and 60 IAS armor

Thats what I'm at and it works great. If you want amulet or gloves flexibility, shael the WF.

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Maybe i am insane here but i would advocate getting some armor for defensive purposes instead of some armor with 60% ias. A 3 frame strafe (90% ias) is still sufficient considering the obscene physical damage of a windforce and it will allow your armor to have useful defensive things. An ideal choice would be lionheart (huge boost to stats, life and damage, make it in light elite armor) or chains of honor if you are "rich". People may flame me and say "but a bowazon never gets hit NOOB!", and i will say that you are living in 1.09. In 1.10 monsters are faster and some powerful stray elemental or physical shot that bypasses your valk can one hit KO you if your resists and life are crap. Just a suggestion from personal experience.

4. C Elegans

Thanks for you advice, Vajar and Omikron :)

I will go for Strafe then and try out both 90 and 120 IAS. I very well understand what Omikron means, I mostly play sorc and in 1.09 I always played no vita or almost no vita, now I have 2 sorcs with 700 life...it's simply too risky to solo otherwise.

What equipment do you people suggest? I have both Cat's eye and Highlords, IAS gloves - is Mavinas diadem worth to use for the 30 IAS? (I'm not "rich" enough for Chains of Honour since I never trade for runes, but I have quite good items muled.)

EDIT: Oh, and is the breaking points 120/90 IAS including or excluding the 20 IAS on the WF itself?

5. Omikron8

the 20% ias on the wf counts towards the 90% needed for a 3 frame strafe
    so you need 70% more

6. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

i have to take the bar a little lower:

I also recently acquired a WF and made a strafer to run the pit (to see if she was faster than my lvl90 hdin - she is!). I am also new to bowies and all this IAS malarky so i also asked here and was told "90 min, 120 better".

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with your zon but mine owns 8 player games solo almost anywhere - pits - chaos - tunnels - river of flame - anywhere there aren't PI's (even tho a might merc with a reapers soon sorts this problems out).

My point is she has 30 IAS - 20 from wf and 10 from goldwrap (so she breaks the 22ias bp iirc). The wf does silly amounts of damage so the need to fire off an extra strafe or two is minimal as you kill most enemies in the first strafe - depending on how many targets the 10 arrows are spilt between. Killing is even quicker once your merc has decrepified the pants of everything with his reapers - you are doing ~ 300-3100 damage - i do 700-3700 as i have some psn dmg sc's - and the merc has decrepifed the targets making your damage even more effective. (50% more effective iirc - plus slower targets with weaker attacks - a must imho) :D.
    On a side note i am yet to find a PI who is still PI once he has been "reapered" by the merc.

For the smaller damage bows IAS is important as you will need many strafes to kill, with a wf 2 strafes will kill very nicely so you can, should you wish, lower your IAS right down and load up on the mf (or other things - like res's / life etc).

As the strafe build has so mant spare stat points maxing valk and penetrate (valk synergy + AR boost) really means that your valk, with merc's might aura, is a serious tank on her own.

I am sure i'll get flamed again for this opinion, but seriously there is no real need for speed with a wf. Yes you could fire your strafes faster but when the first strafe has killed 95% of the baddies there is little benefit in getting that second strafe those few frames quicker. Ofc you may prefer that extra speed, but i am just posting to point out that imho IAS isn't the make or break mod of a strafer that 90% of poster in this zon forum seem to think.

Also fyi the 6-8 ML on the wf is more than enough ml, and i keep the red ball filled with 6LL from a rare ring, so no need to get anymore leech in your gear than this.

7. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

@Shanksie1337:

Don't worry about getting flamed. I agree completely. The IAS breakpoints are something you might want to aim for, when attempting to create a perfect char. Although I have reached the 120 breakpoint the increase is not extremely evident. The advantage I have over another player with less IAS is hardly noticeable. So: Make sure you have some IAS, but don't go overboard. For strafe it is not vital to survival.

-Backdoor Bandit

8. C Elegans

Thanks for your input, everybody :)

What Shanksie writes about IAS is very interesting, obviously it's worthwhile for me to try out different IAS breakpoints and see what I think. I had not planned to make the WF Bowazon an MF-char (have a lvl 90 MF sorc), but it sounds possible to let her have 2-300 MF without sacrificing too much killing speed?

The WF I found is 8ml, and I have plenty of ll rings, so that leaves a lot of space for both IAS and MF...socketing the WF with an ED/min (why min, why not max?) jewel also sounds attractive...

If anyones has suggestions for equipment, I'd be happy to read it. :)

9. Shanksie1337

my wf zon wears:

wf 7%ml - 36 ED plain jewel (as i said - no IAS for me - plus ED/IAS on ladder are FAR from cheap!)
    Shako "pt"
    Skullders "pt"
    WT's 45%
    Goldwrap Upgr
    Mara's 27%
    Chancies 35%
    Raven 20/23x
    Rare 8LL 10 dex 4 min 10 mana bla bla ring.

Anni 13/10/10
    P&M skiller
    B&XB Skiller
    about 400 in poison damage sc's
    Life and mf sc's

700-3800 strafe damage using a lvl 87 might merc with: reapers toll "amn", eth shako "pt" & upg duriels "pt"

about 350 mf and as already stated kills well solo anywhere in an 8 man game.

low res's in hell - about -30 all, but this hasn't been a problem yet, bar doing anya quest, but that's a horrible area for any char imho.

I keep meaning to add more IAS to her to see what more IAS plays like, but i simply cba as i haven't found it needed. Why change what isn't broken :D

hope this helps :D

10. java_spirit

java_spirit IncGamers Member

I realy dont understand how 300-3700 dam owns any 8ppl game.
    I have strafezon with uped buriza, that does 400-2000 dam, and in 8ppl game in act1 it takes about 20 min to do pits, does doubling damage matters that much? maybe i ll do better but not as far as owning...

11. Omikron8

Yes double damage in the form of critical strike and deadly strike makes a huge difference in killing speed. My witchwild string only does 1400 strafe damage max with might merc but the near 100% double damage makes things die within seconds in the pit, even on 8 player.

12. xFullenex

xFullenex IncGamers Member

I got a lvl 75 Zon w/ WF and i ahve 125 stat points... what do i do.. dump em all into Dex? or some into vit and rest into dex... In other words how much life/vit do ur WFZons have?

13. Shanksie1337

Well, as i do 1700 more max damage than you, and with 10 arrows each of my strafes could do 17000 more damage than yours.

Or an average damage of 2k as opposed to your 1200. = 8000 more average damage per strafe.

Plus a might merc with a reapers = 33% to cast lvl 1 decrep = 33% chance of 50% less phy resists on the monsters i hit. Teamed with ~50% Crit Strike means lots of damage, often multiplied by either Decrep or Crit = dead monsters

Just checked her stats - with pdmg sc's & merc she does ~700-3800, but as i already did the maths on her old stats i cba doing them again as they should prove why she kills 8 man games.

@xFullenex - my wf zon wears shako - so that obviously adds 130 life / mana but she has ~ 880 life / 350 mana (120 vita with gear, str for items [~134 for wf] and rest dex).

14. Kager22

Kager22 IncGamers Member

i'm sorry , but what is an IAS ???

15. Dabadonut

Dabadonut Banned

Increased Attack Speed

16. powerteo

powerteo IncGamers Member

i notice that strafe shoot fast arrows out (at its constant speed)....don seems to take effect from ias...its based on my observation....
    From what everyone says, ias will increase the speed of arrows fired from strafe?

Sorry, me just started my LF/strafe zon... lv 74....going to equip hellrack (socket hel x 2). just a noob querying..

17. hittitian

hittitian IncGamers Member

Spend sometime in leveling. When you hit level around 90, you will notice hugh difference. One disadvange WF has compared to other exceptional and elite bows is its lack of attack rating bonus often compensated by +skills/added % AR bonus in other unique bows. This means u need to raise your attack rating by equipments/charms/jeweleries/pumping dex. However, all those slots may be taken +str/dex/res for leveling or by mf equips for pure MFing purpose. And, you may not get higher dex because of insane str req of hydra bow in your early level. So, the best way would be simply leveling your chars to hit level 90 (well, 89 is ok) so that she could hit more than when she did around level 80. This will raise your bow dmg as well, which means level around 90 is actually when the power of WF kicks in.

18. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

I have a lvl 82 strafer. She uses;

WF shealed - 40% IAS
    Cats Eye - 20%
    upgraded twitch with 40/15 - 35%
    Ik glove/boots combo - 25%
    Nosferatu coil - 10%

for a grande total of 130% IAS

I use crown of thieves with the above setup. I also have
    m'avinas helm (30% IAS) & armour , so i can play with what i use somewhat. She is A super fast killer! I love SPEED!!!!!:yep:

all i need is a reaper toll polearm for my merc...... :clap:

19. Omikron8

Strafe arrow speed is VERY much dependent on IAS just like multishot. Look in the Amazon FAQ for the appropriate speed tables for each base speed type.

20. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

so WHERE IS THIS MYTHICAL ZON FAQ??????????.....LOL its sure not on the 1st page of this forum................ :rant: :rant: :rant: