Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

West Side Story is Satan says Liberals!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hippie Holocost, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

You're taking O'Reilly's word for what Liberals think??? That's not what I would call fair and balanced news reporting...

From what I got from the first few paragraphs of that transcript... WSS was not performed because it was deemed insulting to a cultural demographic in the area... VM is not... I don't see a problem here.

Edit: So what I get from O'Reilly is that it's ok to perform a play that Hispanics find insulting and degrading but sex is icky and highschool students shouldn't be "exposed" to that... as if they were living in a bubble and unaware of sexual issues.

3. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Strange...I didn't think West Side Story was that offensive.

But of course, high school childen shouldn't hear that evil word "vagina" because their heads might explode otherwise :rolleyes:

4. Hippie Holocost

I posted the transcript merely as a discussion topic, not as fact or evidence of anything. I think that liberals are pushing their agenda here....

And VM was made as an adult play. Of course it is not suited for children as young as 14! WWS is a part of history and is as offensive to (latinos?) as the Godfather is to Italians. It is a given that anyone who stereotypes an ethnic group because of a play is a bafoon.

So you honestly think that VM belongs in a high school?? You don't see using the word **** in front of CHILDREN offensive. Also, the play is about the relatioship between a 16 year old and a 24 year old.... again.... high school is not the place for this....

Edit: have you noticed that the "C" word was bleeped out in this forum?

5. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

The Vagina Monologues were NOT made as adult play. The author feels that it is important that all women get in touch with themselves and their psychosexual psyche and she feels it's important for males to realize that communication with women about their biological and social needs is essential for any relationship.

She feels this is necessary for all ages. I heard her speak at my school. She was weird.

It was a book before a performance piece btw.

6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Anyone who thinks that a 14 year old has never heard the word **** is deluding themselves. I think there's a lot of things that kids that age can learn about sex from that play. It's never too early to start teaching kids about sex. 14 year olds aren't children. They're adolescents and they're as exposed to sexual references as you or I am. They're sexually aware and biologically ready to have sex. I think that qualifies them to learn from other people's experiences.

Schools have to walk a very fine line. I don't care if they ban both plays from highschool. It's their perogative to accomodate the parents. I also don't have a problem with them showing both plays. I think O'Reilly is just complaining to hear the sound of his own voice as usual.

7. Hippie Holocost

I don't think they shouldn't see it because they say vagina, but there are themes in the play that shouldn't be introduced at such a young age....

8. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Hmm...I've never been a follower of the "withhold information from a child" school of thought, but I suppose that is a debate we probably shouldn't get into here.

9. Hippie Holocost

Please put bill O'reilly aside, that was simply where I heard of the story, this wasn't meant to be a no spin zone rant.

There is a difference between sexual education and VM. The standard sexual education worked just fine for most of us. The VM is much more risque and unacceptable than West Side Story... I don't understand why you think otherwise....

10. Hippie Holocost

Well information should be given at the right time...

but lets put it this way.....how come we don't learn about the horrible effects of heroine in kindergarten? They could play "Trainspotting"......

11. thejdawg2

You're comparing Trainspotting to the Vagina Monologues? Have you ever seen it performed? Or read it?

12. Hippie Holocost

I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison, I was trying to make a point about why information should be withheld from children

13. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

So, thse Liberals never actually said that Westside Story was Satan. Is that Bill's emphasis or yours?

The man being interviewed, from some board or other that obviously controls the school to some extent, said that students would require permission from their parents. So no, HH, you're wrong. This information that you deem so scarring is only being introduced to children whose parents want them to see it. The man even admits that he would not like a 12 or 13 year old to see it. However, he also argued that it was not his decision but the parents'. I agree with that one hundred percent.

Where's the controversy, HH? If Joe Sixpack doesn't want little Mary Sue to see the Vagina Monologues, he says she can't go. Whether or not she listens to him is clearly not the school's problem. The school is most certainly not forcing anyone to go see it.

14. Hippie Holocost

No thats my emphasis... wanted to get yall in here AND IT WORKED AAAHAHAHA

the countroversy is the fact that the school said the VM are fine, but WWS was too contraversial to play. Personally, I see this as part of a trend to introduce children to sex at an earlier and earlier age. In my OPNION, that is not a good thing. And the fact that WWS was considered worse than the VM just makes matters worse....

15. thejdawg2

Why is the discussion of a woman's body worse than a play about gangs?

16. Hippie Holocost

Well when worded like that.....nothing, but it is more than the discussion of a womans body and you know that.

17. thejdawg2

It's only "more than that" because somehow the human body is taboo in America. We can show violence to kids and it's ok. We can glorify football and the violence inherently involved with it but once a boob pops out, Armageddon has arrived.

Give me a break. I don't agree with how the human body is somehow wrong in this culture.

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Jdawg took the words out of my mouth. The VM is a play about personal experiences. There's nothing wrong with experiences and there's nothing wrong with introducing young people to the reality of sex at any age, IMO.

19. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

And I would like to point out that HH glossed over the important part of my post.

If a parent disagrees with Anakha or Jdawg, they could simply not give permission for their child to see the play. End of story. Everybody wins. Those parents who think their children are mature enough to handle the VM let them see it. Those parents who want to wait a bit, they get their way too.

20. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Somehow I wonder whether learning about heroin early would cut down on the drug problem they go through in their later years. Mere speculation, perhaps, but then again I've seen enough college freshman who, to show how "grown up" they are, engage in binge drinking and end up the rest of the night in a hospital getting their stomachs pumped out. Strangely enough many international students don't have this problem.