Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Werewolf Coughing Up Blood

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mojotales, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Mojotales

Mojotales IncGamers Member

Werewolf Coughing Up Blood

I'm new to Diablo and have played a number of characters, always trying new ones but never getting but just into Nightmare. As such, I'm obviously missing a few "overview" bits of knowledge when trying to move even slightly farther ahead in Nightmare.

My Fury Druid, for instance, was a blast to play. Good equipment, good sense of the very basic nature, and when I hit even simple NM I hit a wall. My F Rage would pump me back up in life during a draining fight, my Fury added in did wonders. Even a little lower level Rabies would help as a dash in the mixture.

In Nightmare, I'm hit by two or three and my life is down 60% before i get in a swing and there's no blip on the red side as I keep hitting as there would be before. Possibly I'm getting hit so many times and am stationary or losing from such a low point.

I'm using a Maul with things like 100 pts poison, a rune for fire damage and a rune for lightning damage. Stealth on a tad iffish defense level has worked well, other items are pretty good since I don't have any kind of backstock to draw from, really.

Probably 17 on Fury, 14 on Werewolf and 8 or so on Lycan. Everything else +1 from an amulet and ok stats. Tried changing to an Act 3 Merc cold to keep things off me a bit longer which does work ok while my bear summon helps. I dropped the # of players form 8 to minimum and still I'm crushed. Perhaps a 240 armor with a socket by game character and something in there to help? Adjusted stats, alas, but not sure it did anything other than get my Fury up well and life a bit higher than it was.

Anyway, I'm wondering things like shield with one hander? That doesn't seem smart. Lots of life via leveling as well as items? Wolver for more damage or Oak Sage for life? Back to my AP enhancing merc? I like it when it's firing on all cylinders, and I hate to just walk away from it but it may be a necessary thing.

Thanks for ideas in surviving NM in general and a Fury Druid in particular.

Mojo

2. Vodnik

Vodnik Banned

Re: Werewolf Coughing Up Blood

It sounds to me like your skill points are too spread out. That works just fine for normal, but once you get to Nightmare and Hell, your build needs to focus on one skill tree.(Most of the time.)

3. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

It's probably a gear issue. List your gear, skills, and stats so we can see what we're workin' with.

4. Mojotales

Excuse if this is too much or not the right info, some names or top talents

Str 100
    Dex 36
    Defense 432
    Vital 128 (Life 476)
    Energy 40
    Mana 179
    Fire, Cold, Poison -30 (just beginning Nightmare)

Weapon: Maul 5-30 Fire, 1-60 lightning, 100 Poison
    Chaos Eye Amulet +1 Druid 26 Lightning Resist 26 Poison resist
    Armor: Stealth Def 82 or Blessed Ancient 362 def, 1 socket (empty)
    Cleglaws Pinchers Slows Target 25%, Knockback
    Antlers 3 Summon Dire Wolves 3 Heart of Wolver, 2 Fissure
    Rings: 7% life steal, 2% mana steal
    Boots: Thrads of Cthon 30% walk run, 40%to Defense, 12 Defense, 50 Def vs Missle, 10 life
    Belt 80 to Life

Fury 17
    Werewolf 17
    Lycan 11
    2 Feral Rage
    2 Rabies
    2 in Summoning basics
    2 Oak Sage
    4 In H of Wolverine (These #'s all include with + talent items)
    2 bird
    2 Spirit Wolf
    2 Dire Wolf
    2 Grizzly

Not sure if all that helps. I'm going by what I find. After things wouldn't trudge a bit I dropped 2nd Act Merc for 3rd Act Cold who seems to work ok and does indeed stop groupings quickly.

Thanks! Please let me know if there's another way you want all that stuff or if something's missing. And most of all please accept my thanks.

Mojo

5. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

You'll probably want to get a weapon with higher physical (not fire/lite/poison) damage to take advantage of your strength and skills (which look good).

You've invested a lot of your stat points in strength so your life isn't all that high ... try to get some more items with + life and resists.

I'm not really an expert on Druid stuff, though. Just have fun. ^^

6. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

skillwise, respec so that you concentrate on lycan and fury 1st. get werewolf to at least level 10 with +skills. 1 point in grizzly is fine. and spirit of choice (how for more dmg, oak for more life).

gearwise, weapon definitely needs to change. find exceptional weapons with +ias and decent/high ed. that *should* suffice for nm. as for shields, not recommended since it may leave you block locked.

lastly, get resists to at least positive levels. once you find a lum rune, make sure it goes to smoke runeword.

as for playstyle, go more conservative. keep summons going especially ravens. allow them to blind the targets 1st then start attacking. also keep using grizzly to take any heat off of you.

7. Mojotales

Thanks to all who are helping. In this particular reply, IAS? high ed? I'm dumb/new enough to have no idea, I'm afraid.

I had a 3 socketed heavier duty Maul that I build my strength up to make use of -- only I had a major brain fart using ATMA and then closed without saving. The small batch of runes and the Maul were launched into the Twilight Zone, it seems.

About weapon, though -- I noticed a sword (1 hand, probably 2 handed) were so much faster than the Maul I have been using. Not sure why I even decided a Maul was somehow the great werewolf weapon. With the above in mind and the smartness of a 2 hander (really helps clarify what is a thing I didn't know but I'm sure all players of more than a short time know! Thanks! :) ) can you help a moment to break down what we're talking about with a Fury as the best way to start? Sword? Axe? Hammer? Go, as was said above to bigger physical damage by increasing, say, physical damage done by an attack with the particular weapon?

This is SO kind. Don't have the chance to redo the build right now, I just screwed up yesterday when the change hadn't worked well and reset the talents, blowing that chance >.<

Mojo

8. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

IAS is Increased attack speed, very important to keep your swing rate up. Especially with Mauls and other slow weapons.

ED is enhanced damage, which increases the physical damage of the weapon and so you get more life and mana from leeching for example.

You can go either sword, axe or hammer as long as it is a weapon with good base damage and the two traits mentioned (ED, IAS) :)

9. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Check the save folder for Atma backups. They are always *.org. rename the backup and open it in Atma. retrieve what you lost.

Run dupe detector afterwards to check that you didn't pickup anything that you already had.

10. corax

corax IncGamers Member

ALWAYS cast your bear between you and the enemy mobs. then you don't take damage

11. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

If I remember right, druids are faster with two handed hammers, polearms and axes. Increased attack speed on the weapon is very important, as is Enchanced damage. Attack rating is a plus aswell, since it makes you hit more often(hover the mouse over attack rating in character screen to see your chance to hit) You can ignore elemental damage.

As for armor: Ignore defense. Use items with resistances instead. Most monsters in nightmare have elemental damage, even the melee ones. Another important mod is Faster Hit Recovery. You can get a belt with 24 FHR and resistances by gambling. Boots and gloves are also good sources of resistances. Cleglaws gloves are nice though, especially if you find Blackhorns helm.

Lycantrophy is very good for you since it gives you more life when shifted. Also, put lots of points into vitality.

12. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

As i recall crossbows are viable options as well. I remeber using an upgraded Buriza for Hell on a wolf, with good results!

peace!
    /iomanip

13. Mojotales

One moment -- rename the folder by adding, let's say, TEST but leave .org the same? Tried that but can't find any way to open the thing or show it in a directory. There seem to be perhaps 9 different .org files in there, but lol I'd be happy to get one to work!

14. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

It's a gear issue that you have. One thought is that you would do well by magic finding Andariel for a Ribcracker (with a Shael or IAS jewel you'd be rocking). Even a Shaeled Bonesnap would be better. Cleglaw's gloves are a poor choice because Knockback will ruin your Fury. Say, you knockback a monster with your first hit and then miss the next 4 hits in the Fury cycle because the monster is out of range. In that span you won't be leeching and will be getting hit. Try to craft some blood gloves.

15. Mojotales

Ok, this is ALL helping, feel free to stick with me a bit you've got an eager student!

I did have a Lum and went Smoke and brought all the resists up. I switched and am using a 2 h axe that gives me 100% to damage as well as 118 attack rating and 7% mana leech which will free up a lesser ring slot for more resist or whatever.

With the new armor and more "tuned" weapon, the suggestion to make sure to throw the bear in between me and the enemy, get rid of knockback on the gloves (duh, I should have seen that coming) plus other pointers made a HUGE difference today when, after outfitting everything, I started back again where I'd left off.

I know most of this stuff you're teaching me is light years below where you guys/gals are and hopefully seeing improvements here give you some kind of pleasing reward there!

I'm not worrying about the minimal problem with ATMA, things are going far better. I've recently gotten into the runeword basics and it wonderful to pick up more. Again, small things you think of will make a big difference in my world, rest assured.

Mojo

16. roshen

roshen IncGamers Member

Updates? If you've respecced, how is your skill distribution looking now?

Bloodfist gloves are very decent, very cheap gloves to use.

"Black" is a cheap runeword to use, if you've got an Io rune on you and a 3 socket flail. The 40% crushing blow will really help for a fast hitting toon.

If I think of anything else, I'll post some more.

17. roshen

roshen IncGamers Member

edit: sorry, double posted. :badteeth:

18. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Yes, the Druid has a unique attack speed calculation. 2 handed poleaxes, axes, and mauls swing much faster with a druid. Also, the IAS on the weapon itself (WIAS) has a much larger impact on wereform attack speed than IAS from other items (OIAS). This is unique to the shapeshifting druid. The only crossbow that works for a Druid is the Buriza, and that's only because of the ridiculous on-weapon 80% IAS (a Shael takes it to 100%).

If you are having issues with leech, I suggest you invest the prereqs for a point in Hunger. I found that if your leech is getting overwhelmed, a quick hotkey switch to Hunger fills your bulb in 2-4 hits.

Some good mid-range weapons for a Druid are Hwanin's Justice (set Bill), Ribcracker (unique Quarterstaff), Steeldriver, or a good rare Poleaxe, 2H Aze or Mace with good ED and 30-40% IAS. An Athena's Wrath (unique Battle Scythe) is a VERY handy Druid-specific poleaxe that, if it rolls +3 Druid Skills, is useful not only for a mid-level weapon, but a summons casting weapon switch. A Battlebranch probably would be much better than your current weapon, and a Meat Scraper would be even better.