Werewolf barb questions

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Werewolf barb questions

I'm planning to build dual-wielding barbarian werewolf with beast as one of his weapons. So my questions are: should I use beast as a main weapon or an off-hand weapon? And which weapon I should use with it?

I'm playing vanilla so grief, death and alike aren’t an option for me, I have almost all unique weapons except death cleaver, astreon's Iron Ward and fleshripper and I have the runes to upgrade weapons to elite if needed.

Thanks for your help

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Werewolf barb questions

The Wereform attacks with only his main IIRC even when dual-wielding.

Assuming you're talking about a 'Beast' Berserker Axe, putting it as your main lets you hit 7fpa Feral Rage. I'm not sure what you're going to do for the off-hand weapon in this case, Wizard Spike (+75 All Res) comes into mind right away, 'Heart of the Oak' (+3 Skills, +30 to 40 All Res) as well, maybe Suicude Branch (+1 Skill, +10 All Res, +40 Life).

If 'Beast' is your off-hand, and since you don't have RWM, then:

6fpa Feral Rage
Runemaster
Baranar's Star
Nord's Tenderizer
Stormlash
Heaven's Light
'Kingslayer' Phase Blade

5fpa Feral Rage
Azurewrath

3fpa Feral Rage
Griswold's Redemption

I don't suppose you have a 'Breath of the Dying'? :d

mir

Diabloii.Net Member

No I don't have BotD yet :)…but I really like the wizard spike idea, it will leave the armor slot open for customization, my first thought was beast & doombringer for the life bonus but your idea is better.

If I use beast as a secondary weapon I won't get its bonuses (CB & OW) right?

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member

No you won't, unfortunately. Doombringer could also work, same with The Grandfather for +20 Stats and 80 Life. :)

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

Four-Shael grizwold's redemption for sure. 3fpa is 'ludicrous speed', as per Spaceballs.

If you are a pure werewolf-barb and not some wolf/bear-barb hybrid then I would suggest dropping the beast and going either two-handed with a Tomb Reaver or grabbing a Storm Shield.

mir

Diabloii.Net Member

Tomb reaver is a great weapon, but one of the reasons I made beast in the first place was as weapon for wolf-barb, so no tomb reaver here. As for the storm shield, I thought that blocks will interrupt feral rage attacks so I decided to go dual-wielding instead.

jdkerr

Diabloii.Net Member

SlowMG said:
Assuming you're talking about a 'Beast' Berserker Axe, putting it as your main lets you hit 7fpa Feral Rage. [...]

6fpa Feral Rage
Runemaster
Baranar's Star
Nord's Tenderizer
Stormlash
Heaven's Light
'Kingslayer' Phase Blade

5fpa Feral Rage
Azurewrath

3fpa Feral Rage
Griswold's Redemption
According to the Wereform Calculator, I am coming up with much different results.

9fpa Feral
'Beast" Berserker Axe
'Kingslayer' Phase Blade
Heaven's Light (Shael)

8fpa Feral
Baranar's Star (Shael)
Nord's Tenderizer (Shael)
Stormlash (Shael)
Rune Master (3x Shael)

6fpa Feral
Rune Master (5x Shael)
Azurewrath (Shael)

4fpa Feral
Griswold's Redemption (4x Shael)

mir said:
If I use beast as a secondary weapon I won't get its bonuses (CB & OW) right?
Correct, but you will get the increased damage (186%) and attack rating (80%) from the fanaticism aura. That would be the primary reason to wield it -- so slow for a primary weapon, in my opinion, but a nice damage boost as an off-hand weapon. You will find that the biggest weakness of wolfbarbs is their overall damage, so this might be a good idea.

mir said:
Tomb reaver is a great weapon, but one of the reasons I made beast in the first place was as weapon for wolf-barb, so no tomb reaver here. As for the storm shield, I thought that blocks will interrupt feral rage attacks so I decided to go dual-wielding instead.
Storm Shield blocks at 6 frames; with a Shael it blocks at 5 frames. If you have a slow attack (putting "Beast" in the primary hand, for example), perhaps interruptions will be a worry, but I don't think it would be an issue with a faster attack.

I think that if I were making this character, I would do the 4x Shael Griswold's Redemption in the primary hand for the 4fpa attack and the 'Beast' BA in the off-hand for the damage, AR, and style points. ;) Especially without Fortitude, you are going to be looking for all the damage you can get. Furthermore, defense is not a huge issue for a wolfbarb. You have natural resists to help you against elemental damage, you have a very high life leech rate to help you gain back whatever you lose, and you have an enormous life pool to help you survive any kind of damage.

Griswold's Redemption vs Azurewrath: the former is faster and has more physical damage (for leeching); the latter is 50% slower but has some elemental damage and the sanctuary aura, so you have a built-in PI solution. Although I recommended Griswold's Redemption, the aura on the Azurewrath might tip the scales in that direction for you.

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member

According to the Wereform Calculator, I am coming up with much different results.

9fpa Feral
'Beast" Berserker Axe
'Kingslayer' Phase Blade
Heaven's Light (Shael)

8fpa Feral
Baranar's Star (Shael)
Nord's Tenderizer (Shael)
Stormlash (Shael)
Rune Master (3x Shael)

6fpa Feral
Rune Master (5x Shael)
Azurewrath (Shael)

4fpa Feral
Griswold's Redemption (4x Shael)
I'm not sure why I answer to the likes of "SlowMG" and "Loser Boy", but I guess it's slowly becoming a forum standard, so why not.

Are you setting SIAS = 29 (from 'Beast') and Werewolf Level = ~6-9?

Pavel

Diabloii.Net Member

"Please Note: I haven't quite figured out Feral Rage for 1.10 so any calculations for that are approximations."

Shouldn't one use standard attack instead of feral rage for wolfbarbs? Imo it looks like feral rage attack speed applies between succesful attacks and standard attack speed after missed attack.

mir

Diabloii.Net Member

I have tried the griswold's weapon & beast combination and I must say that it's hard to go back, so fast...is griswold's redemtion is the only option for 4fpa feral? how about upped Crainte Vomir (+ shael), will it reach 4fpa?

jdkerr

Diabloii.Net Member

@Omg: I was using werewolf level 10, but I don't think that should make a difference. I wasn't using any SIAS, because I was under the impression that it had no effect. I would be glad if I were mistaken about that, though.

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

Inaccurate speedcalc is inaccurate. ;)

Use Titanseal's new calculator, found here, or in the stickies.

Grizwold's redemtion with 4 Shael's gives 3fpa feral rage on a wolf-barb assuming at least level 1 werewolf, which is in fact mandatory for you to be using feral rage in the first place. :thumbup:

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member

"Please Note: I haven't quite figured out Feral Rage for 1.10 so any calculations for that are approximations."

Shouldn't one use standard attack instead of feral rage for wolfbarbs? Imo it looks like feral rage attack speed applies between succesful attacks and standard attack speed after missed attack.
See Pyro's post for Titan Seal's awesome IAS Calculator. Perhaps you are right on point #2 though.

I have tried the griswold's weapon & beast combination and I must say that it's hard to go back, so fast...is griswold's redemtion is the only option for 4fpa feral? how about upped Crainte Vomir (+ shael), will it reach 4fpa?
Griswold's does hit 3 as far as I know, and Crainte Vomir will hit 5 fpa Feral Rage.

@Omg: I was using werewolf level 10, but I don't think that should make a difference. I wasn't using any SIAS, because I was under the impression that it had no effect. I would be glad if I were mistaken about that, though.
SIAS does have an effect if WW is pretty low. :p Once you hit around ~15/16 WW, then yeah, no point.

Inaccurate speedcalc is inaccurate. ;)
Dragoon Central's Wereform Calculator isn't inaccurate, it's soft and cuddly. >_>

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

Dragoon Central's Wereform Calculator isn't inaccurate, it's soft and cuddly. >_>
I'll agree that it is soft and cuddly. It was also the best wereform speed calculator back in 1.09 and an indispensable resource. It was updated for 1.10 and I believe that it remains accurate for druids but over time new information has been uncovered for wereforms of other classes.

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

I've never seen it disagree with TitanSeal's numbers though. :p
It seems to agree with TitanSeal's calc to me too. I probably jumped to conclusions after contradictory evidence was posted. I do remember a time earlier in the 1.10 era when it was inaccurate but it seems to have been well updated since then.