Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Werepuppy druid weapon question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Harrid, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Werepuppy druid weapon question

After getting into a discussion yesterday on the druid forum about making a viable werewolf, I started a Fury/Fireclaws druid (for some reason, I have about two to four times as many druids at various points in the game than any other character class <_<). Anyway, skill point distribution is along the lines of:

1 Werewolf
    1 Lycanthropy
    20 Fireclaws
    20 Fury
    +4 prereqs
    1 in everything down the middle of the summons tree (4 points)
    1 Oak Sage
    20 Firestorm
    20 Molten Boulder

Any extra points will go to either Lycanthropy or summons (I would like to make a build that uses HoW because it looks so much cooler than Oak Sage, but I doubt this one will have the spare points for it either *sigh*).

Anyway, getting to the point of this thread. One weapon switch will be a 110 IAS Phase Blade + Stormshield (and I do intend to have max block). I was looking through what I have available for a Fury weapon, and it basically comes down to these (assume socketing is purely plain IAS jewels, except where Shaels would make a difference):

Windhammer: Nice damage and a beefy +50% CB, but I already have another werewolf with this. Plus having >200 str and >200 dex does not leave a lot for vit.

Immortal King's Stone Crusher: Essentially surpasses Windhammer's damage (lower base, but with bonus damage against demons and undead), and I can add in the IK set gloves and belt. Less CB than the other maul, though, and the same complaints about its stat requirements (although I believe IK gloves have a nice +30 or so str off the top of my head, I like to meet equipment requirements with my naked stats).

Bonehew: Well, BIG damage for one thing, and it gives me Corpse Explosion (which I would likely never end up actually using, but I would not mind having the option >_>). Requires somewhat less strength than the mauls (though 195 is still higher than I would like), and the dex is no issue I will be going max block anyway, but no useful procs (I sincerely doubt that unsynergized Bone Spears are going to impress me <_<).

Witchwild String: Marginally slower (9/5 with 2x Shael as opposed to everything above reaching 8/5), but has Deadly Strike and Amp Damage (at a lower CtC than I would like, but I would imagine that it goes off more often than one might expect given the attack rate of Fury). Reaching the stat requirements will be no problem on account of what I need for Stormshield anyway, but I think I will have to burn my lone Pul to up it to get anything resembling good damage (I do have more than one WWS, though, and the upped version can be useful for a number of ranged characters, so it might not be that big of a deal. My only other potentially 'up-worthy' weapons are Hone Sundan and Butcher's Pupil, if it matters.).

I think I am leaning towards the WWS, just because it seems like the odd-ball choice of the bunch. I am interested to hear what some of the furry vets might have to say about it, though.

2. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

If your looking for just damage on the Fury side, you should look into Ribbie. One similar to this:

Ribcracker
    Stalagmite
    'Shael'
    Two-Hand Damage: 328 to 490
    Durability: 129 of 130
    Required Dexterity: 35
    Required Strength: 63
    Required Level: 56
    Staff Class - Fastest Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 59
    Fingerprint: 0x1991515d
    +15 to Dexterity
    +100% Enhanced Defense
    +298% Enhanced Damage
    +30 to Minimum Damage
    +65 to Maximum Damage
    +100 Defense
    +100 Maximum Durability
    Required Level +7
    70% Increased Attack Speed
    50% Faster Hit Recovery
    150% Damage to Undead
    50% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

The damage is solid, has plenty of CB, and the reqs are retardedly low. I'm not up on the BPs on any weapon/charicter, but I think you'll have a pretty fast attack rate if you sheal it.

{edit} I have a lesser non-upped ribby I could donate if you'd like. I am RWM/RRM

3. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

I was hoping to pick a weapon that I already have in my stashes, though <_<. Else, yeah, Ribcracker would be great (and I think upping it would be a better use of my Pul than WWS), likely edging out Buriza and maybe even Tomb Reaver due to the high CB. Not that I horribly mind doing more and more MFing until I eventually get one (I have a psychotically awesome Hell Meph map for my hammerdin, after all), but it would be simpler to let that come on its own accord.

4. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I am by no means a shifter expert (although I could comment on Wind druids).

Regarding the WWS:
    Which could be a problem.

Of the weapons you listed, it looks like the 3 piece IK set will give you the most damage. The loss of 10% CB compared to Windhammer is compensated by the added fire and lightning damage, a total of 65% IAS, +45 str, +20 dex, 25% FHR, lightning and fire resist, +% damage to demons and undead, and +75 to AR.

I think to make a fair comparison, we have to know what the gloves and belt options are going to be if you end up using Windhammer or Bonehew. Of these two, I prefer Windhammer. Even though it does less damage than Bonehew, it has a massive 50% CB, and the CtC slvl 22 Twister is more useful for the stun than Bonehew's CtC Bone Spear.

How are you going to deal with such a short duration when shifted? I think I would find it really annoying if I had to keep shifting back to a WW every minute or so with only 1 hard point in Lycanthropy.

I also understand the need to max Firestorm and Molten Boulder, but with maxed Fury and FC's too, you won't be able to max HoW (10 hard points at clvl 90, after maxing the other skills and pre-reqs). That's a shame, since a maxed HoW will help with your damage and AR when Fury'ing.

5. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Gib c0mm3nt5? :laugh:

Yeah, I was a touch concerned with this. This would my first time using a bow on a shifter. I do recall Nightfish playing a dual Fleshripper WW barb to guardian, though, and while I am likely neither as item-rich nor as skillful as him, I would see range as being more important to that build than to a Fury wolf. With Buriza-wolves not being unheard of, and with there being a guide by Keifer for a witchywolf, I would imagine that it is far from insurmountable, but likely it would be annoying, yes.

Windhammer is fun :laugh:

Ahem, I had not thought too much on my other gear, to be honest. I am using Bloodfist right now, which I might very well stick with since I will not need OIAS and I have little love for Dracul's. Lavagout is another potential option for the CtC Enchant to lighten whatever AR issues I might have, though I intend to bypass such problems with (double) angelic combo anyway. Beltwise, I have little in the way of uniques, so likely that will be something that I pick up along the way (looking for a +resists 4-row belt of the +life/+regen). For further gear, I am thinking Shako, The Spirit Shroud (if I can find the runes, swap for 'Duress' runeword), angelic jewelry, a leech ring (if I need more AR, swap Shako for Vamp's lustful Gaze and double up the angel fingers), and either Natalya's or Aldur's boots. As usual, charms will fill in resists and then add AR/+max damage. Yeah, I know it is far from the best gear for a shifter, but I do not trade and it is about the best that I have found thus far.

It really is not that big of a problem. I shift/deshift on a regular basis when I use shifters because I would rather have to recharge Rage/Maul than deshift in the middle of a fight (and because I am a self-buff whore <_<). Plus, Fireclaws is the main mode of murder, so I will not be counting on leeching much life except against fire immunes to begin with.

Such as I thought *sigh*. I guess a Shockwavin' summoner with HoW will be my next druid project. So many druids :shocked: .

You have given me some good points to think about, though. Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the offer, Ashmer, but I do not accept hand outs. I simply prefer to know 100% for sure that my items have not been tampered with (no offense meant to you, as it is simply my general policy on trading/gifting).

6. IronCrown

IronCrown IncGamers Member

As you are going with the SS and max block, you will spend a lot of stat points in dex, with not a lot to invested in vit. Pushing Lycanthropy up with a couple of point will give you an invaluable life boost in addition with extending your ww form.

Edit: imo all points invested in spirit and summons can go to lycanthropy, without maxing & synergising summons they will not last long.

If you really want to try the bow (range 1) it is definately doable. I have a wolf using a Nords wich have a very low range as well (I just love the freezing on it.)You just have to get straight in there (click past the target and when you are ON TOP of it fury.) It takes some getting used to but with good life leech you can stand toe to toe with anyone.

You should pat one of those wolfs & definately extra style pts for a bow-wolf:wink3:

IC

7. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Yup, I agree. When my Windy had 1 hard point (and slvl 10-ish) down the middle of the summon tree, the wolves and bear were being eaten alive, even at lower players setting. Granted that they are a nice distraction, but they really don't last very long. When I dumped the remaining 16-ish hard skill points into Grizzly, the bear virtually never died, and could kill to boot. And made a fantastic tank.

I guess if all you need is a distraction, and don't mind constantly re-summoning, then it wouldn't be an issue. (I got to the stage of cursing my 1 point Dire Wolves for being so crap, I spent more time re-summoning them than Tornado'ing).

8. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Hmmm, interesting. I tend to like having even just a 1 point Grizzly, because with my playing style, I usually only rely on druid summons to create a quick diversion whilst I get into position for destruction (unless I am using my summoner, of course <_<). I usually do not bother resummoning against the same pack of monsters unless they are particularly dangerous. On the other hand, I have never made a max block shifter before (my windy is my only blocking druid), and I could see some HP issues with such light Lycanthropy with that.

Also, while summons do fit in with the image of my "wolf pack leader" werewolf, I do want this one to be more of a swift assassin (hence the aim for a 3k+ FC at 5 fps). Yeah, I think I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Ressurrecting this thread instead of making a new one as I have some related questions of my own :smiley:

I'm also going to make a Fury Druid but I'm not sure where to stick my points, I will go 1 WW, 20 Lycan, 20 Oak Sage 20 Fury but I'm not sure where to go from there. I need something to deal with IM, I will use OW and Decrep from a Reapers for the Phys Immunes.

Also, I'm unsure on which weapon to use, I have no high end Ribbies to upgrade, and I'm trying to decide between an IK Maul and an Oath Champion Axe. I think I would get style points for the Oath but I'm not sure if losing out on the CB from the IK Maul is worth it.

10. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Get Grizzly and put points in Dire Wolves for the life boost. IK set minus the helm is quite nice for a Fury WW. Patted one some time ago (Fury @ 5 fpa with 5 pts in WW & 'ShaelEth' IK Maul).

11. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I was thinking about using partial IK set, I'm currently minus the armor though, hopefully Pindle will cough on up before the end of the Pindlethon.

12. LoneBarb

LoneBarb IncGamers Member

thats best non-RW weapon.
    and sth strange - the usual stalagmite is one of the best elite weapons. It has the same stats as Ogre Maul :)