Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Werebear Druid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Feceset, May 25, 2005.

1. Feceset

Feceset IncGamers Member

Werebear Druid

I've never made a Werebear druid before. I have no idea what would be a fun Werebear build.

I have a few questions about them:

What's a fun Werebear build?
    What's a good order of investing my skills? I've heard different things about the order of things.
    Will this really be worth it in the end?

2. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I'd check out the Druid forum and/or check out the SPF build guides stickied at the top of the SPF.

There are a couple of things to wrap your head around when playing a shifter druid whether wolf or bear. It's quite a bit of fun though.

My only druid has been a fury/rabies wolf - partially because I love the idea of rabies poison (and because I wanted to use CarrionWind) and also because i've always wanted to upgrade my Ribcracker to a Stalagmite.

I'm going to try a fireclaws Bear someday. Crazy damage it would seem. Give it a go.

3. Tutatis

Tutatis IncGamers Member

the skills: Werebear, lycantrophy, maul, and a spirit, I advise you to get the ar/dmg one, it spears you alot of dex points and you will have enought life from lycantrophy.

4. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

The Dragoon's werebear guide has detailed answers to your questions.
    I have a mauler in hell actII, I dont know much about FC bears.
    As for the mauler, i think that char has a lot of style to him that compensates for the somewhat monotoneus bashing. On the practical side of things, you can expect a lot of crowd cotrol (shockwave rocks, even at 1 point + items. seriously), high defense, lot of phys dam, very nice hp, so i would say it is not a hard character to play...unless it comes to...PIs. Now that is a problem.
    There is a few ways you can deal with them. Using an elemental damage weapon (baranar's) is one, berserking with a passion weapon is another (actually, not sure if i charge up maul and switch to berserk it will help me any...probably not), or using a merc who can cast some curse upon striking (ww string rogue, reaper's toll actII merc). With all that said, PIs are probably the biggest problem that character has to face.
    On skill distribution, your best bet is the dragoon's guide, the way i did it:
    (after putting 1 point in each skill i wanted) lycantrophy ==> 5 maul ==> 5
    werebear ==> max, lyca ==> max, how ==> 10, and from there on 1 point into maul and how every 2 levels. (reason: you don't need lyca's extra hp until mid-NM or so, maul gives more dam than how, but maul needs to be charged up, so i value the two about the same. early game it would be too hard to keep a high lvl maul constantly charged unless you have enough mana leech)
    All in all, i really love that char a lot. Though some places (arcane sanctuary bleh) gave me a truly hard time, i had a lot of fun with him.

5. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

I haven't tried yet, but I don't believe that would work. Being shapeshifted blocks the use of most non-passive skills (whether from items or otherwise), so I'm pretty sure you can't use things like Vengeance from Kingslayer or Berserk from Passion. I'd advise against Passion, though- even if you can use Berserk, the 'causes target to flee' will mean you'll be chasing ghosts, etc all over the place, which would be highly annoying. Unless you can get Amp/Decrepify going, the best bet is a really fast elemental/magic damage weapon. Gimmershred sounds like a pretty good choice, because it does all three types (so you can damage dual immunes) and is pretty fast (especially for a druid).
    Nothing to prevent you from using agear with chance to cast Amp Damage/Decrepify. In addition to magic/rage weapons with the 'of Amplify Damage' affix, you've got Reaper's Toll, Cranium Basher (I just found my first about a half hour ago, yay), Fetid Sprinkler, Atma's Scarab, Gavel of Pain, and whatever ones I've forgotten to mention.

6. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

A Fire Claws (FC) werebear is worthwhile and quite a bit of fun.

Pros: High Fire Damage, High life, High AR, Shock wave stuns most
    adversaries. Overall a safe, quick individual monster killer.

Cons: Low physical damage, Fire Immunes, Lots of + Skills are where
    high damage comes from. Resists can be difficult. Mana burners can be
    tough. No damaging area of effect skill.

Layout: 110 IAS Phase Blade for 4-frame FC attack. IIRC Azure Wrath can
    get to a 6-frame attack with OIAS (see TheDragoon's site - linked to in the
    Druid Forum) and is nice for FIs and mana burn undead. Shield - Storm
    Shield (Moser's is an option for more resists). Best gloves for the build -
    Dracul's Grasp. Helm - Jalal's Mane. Armor - go + Skills here: Arkaine's
    Valor. Boots - Goblin Toe or Gore Rider. Belt and jewelry - some leeway
    (just make sure you have CBF - preferably a Ravenfrost).

Skills: 1-20 Lycanthropy (recommend 20; I went with 1); 20 Fire Claws;
    1-5 Shock Wave. Rest in Fire Claws synergies (I went with Maxed Volcano
    and Boulder which was okay for FIs in NM but not Hell - too few + Skills).
    I used spare points (those not taken in Lycanthropy) for a level 1 (before
    + Skills) Armageddon.

7. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I've got a plain mauler bear going right now. Max'd shockwave first. 16 seconds of stun is very nice. :) Other than that I'll max werebear, lycan and maul, one point goes to grizzly. Pretty straightforward build. Reaper's toll for PIs is recommended.

8. Feceset

Feceset IncGamers Member

I decided to go with a Maul Bear. I'm getting tired of using elemental damage.

Right now, he's level 44 and on his way to Baal.

Now, I have no idea what my end game weapon could be.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: The link to TheDragoon's Werebear guide doesn't seem to work. That's why I made this thread. I forgot to mention that earlier. Does anyone have a link to it that works?

9. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Upgraded Ribcracker. Other than that basically anything with decent physical damage. The possibilities are endless.