Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

We're under attack!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by jizus, Apr 8, 2004.

1. jizus

jizus IncGamers Member

We're under attack!

so i haven't played much D2 for a few months and recently started playing a bit. before i left, i wasn't surprised at seeing a spambot pop in and scroll it's line or 2 of spam then leave, but those damn things have gotten immensely worse. those 2 little lines have become 4-5 lines and that one spambot has become 2 at a time, spamming the EXACT same message, briefly filling the game to 8 players only to leave so that other spambots can come in...
    during a long baal run session last night (led by a FAST maphacker no less) we found that making a level requirment for the game completely stopped the bots, in normal anyway...
    at first i thought i was the only one seeing them, because no one complained after seeing wave after wave of the spam onslaught, and figured maybe someone found a way to perm ignore them or something, but later i slowly saw more people complain/acknowledge the spam so obviously some people are just accustomed.

anyway, is it just me or does the spam feel worse now, even worse than .09? at least in .09 they only flooded the chats and there were enough people who never even stayed in them long enough for it to really bother them, but now sometimes it's an all out war from them, in-game. and yes, setting level requirements for the moment might stall some(all?) of them, but not everyone will adapt or like that and even if everyone did, the bots would probably just use higher levels eventually. and that's not to say that blizz might eventually take some of the pain away since they are popping in and out of games faster than pindle bots ever did, for obvious reasons ... but still

who has no chance to survive?
    who should make their time?
    thoughts?

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Press the 'n' button.......

3. jizus

jizus IncGamers Member

oh, i've been using that for a long time now, but that doesn't put an end to the original problem when i still have to press 'n' 2 or 3 times per spambot, and when they sometimes either pop in the same game often or repeatedly pop in at the start of every game, that only lasts around 60 seconds... but ok, whatever

4. viruszero

viruszero IncGamers Member

whats the n button do?

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

Wait till they are done spamming, then press n.
    It makes the chat that is presently showing disappear.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

yea, it'll clear all text off the screen, which helps for any visibility problems but doesn't solve the inherent issue of adbots

7. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

I've gotten pretty guick at squelching people with random names...

8. Smith

Smith Banned

Someone should collect the names of all the bots currently around and create a program that squelches that name.

Then, if someone uses color in their text it adds their name to the squelch on connect list so you don't have to hear them again =o.

9. Moroska

Moroska IncGamers Member

we need a permanent squelch !! :grrr:

10. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

I say we get together a top secret organization, and we find out where these people live....

11. [D]Rui[D]

[D]Rui[D] IncGamers Member

dats why i only play in private games...

they should have this rule of castrating spammers.
    its a mircale one can play in normal game without been spam every minute

12. BuddySativa

BuddySativa IncGamers Member

Blizz could set it up, quite easily I reckon, so that whenever someone joins a game they are automatically squelched and need to be unsquelched by people in the game in order to chat.

That would stop the spamming.

13. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

my buds call me quick draw...lol..na but seriously, the minute some weird named freak comes in the game...*squelch*, usually the bots are lvl 1. They dont even have time to say "hi" before there squelched and out of my way. :thumbsup:

Practice makes perfect!

14. SmokeyTreats

SmokeyTreats IncGamers Member

Seeing that almost all the spambots are under lvl5 wouldn't
    make sense to put a lvl restriction on any public game you create?

Just make sure you turn it off before you create a mule game. :cheesy:

15. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

Last night in NM baal runs I ran into spam bots with levels of 6, 25, 26, 30. I haven't seen one of those in a while. I first thought that somebody had been hacked, but when all they did was enter the game, spam, and then leave i was pretty sure they were bots.

Anybody else seen bots of this level?

16. Unholy_Carnage

Unholy_Carnage IncGamers Member

People turn their retired chars and mules into bots....its not common to see high levels in hell spamming. Tis a pity blizz wont do anything about it...but itll only bother you if you let it. I personally have gotten used to it, i could honestly care less. Of course if youre on hardcore....then its a different story. Spam could kill you.

17. skihard

skihard Banned

I had a level 56 come into my game last night. It seems that they join games with 3 or more people in them. As soon as a third joined Ii had the spam bots join. Once down to me and the mule I was doing a self rush on the bots stopped and they started again when a friend joined. That makes me think the majic number is 3 or more.

18. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I've heard from a person who works as a programmer that the bots are not joining the games in the "usual" way. They come through some kind of back door, and are not physically in the game. That's why they can't be squelched. What I wonder, though, is if creating an account with the bots account name will disable the bot.
    I've also heard that some kind of programs can block the bots, but I don't suggest using them as it in fact is third party stuff and could get you banned.

19. chaka

chaka IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if this had been discussed yet but...

If you hit the invite and uninvite button like a mad man, as in keep hitting that button over and over as fast as you can, you can drop those bots right outta yer game. You'll see the message about how so and so dropped due to time out.

We can only hope that when they get dropped they get put in the 15 minute penalty box.

20. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I thank you a lot for that tip! :drink: