Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

We're gonna need Godzilla on our side for this one

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

We're gonna need Godzilla on our side for this one

Scientists are drilling through the crust of the Earth. What could possibly go wrong?

2. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead Diabloii.Net Member

They will drill right into hell! Plus, all that oceanic crust formation is BS because we all know that earth was created 6000 years ago :lol:

3. Jimi-

Jimi- Diabloii.Net Member

i hope they meet satan along the way, and then he'll show em how stupid they were to actually try this

4. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok Diabloii.Net Member

well we do need more people to wage war against, i guess its the mole people this time.

5. djIgneo

djIgneo Diabloii.Net Member

Drilling through the crust of the earth? This is news to me. What are they trying to do?

So if they did drill right into hell and burned to death, where would they go?

6. raffster

raffster Diabloii.Net Member

For some weird reason this post brings back some good old childhood memories. I remember seeing a Sesame Street movie special where Big Bird is in China with this Chinese girl who was in a mission to see (or save?) the phoenix bird. Then in one of the scenes Oscar the Grouch pops out from a garbage can, saying he dug a hole from the US all the way to China (or something to that effect.)

It looks like they're finally going to make traveling from pole to pole much quicker and faster. I wonder what type of vehicle could survive that kind of heat. That would be cool, zipping through "middle earth" from one point to another via a hole dug from end pole to another end pole.

Here's a question, when they reach the other side, how is that they won't "fall out"? Kind of weird thinking about this.

7. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

What seems to be the problem? They're scientists, doing research, not terrorists trying to open up a new volcano and take over the Earth.

It's not like they can drill through to China, either. You can get down only so far and due to the high pressure, rock behaves like plastic and the hole fills up from the sides.

8. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ Diabloii.Net Member

If only those scientists studied how to prevent an astroid/comet ending all life on earth instead sealing our doom. =/

9. djIgneo

djIgneo Diabloii.Net Member

...8000 mile straightaway? m'kay it seems like it'd be a real trick to keep the speed constant due to gravity.

10. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

I KNEW IT!!..I knew there was something to explain all these earthquakes and volcanoes this past year. I bet these people were like.."omg..another went off today"..."quick, cover the drill!".

Seriously tho..they could be the casue of plates moving right?

11. UserMathias

UserMathias Diabloii.Net Member

Gravity?

Ever wondered what happened to the people who were designing anti-nuclear warhead defenses during the cold war? Well, now they're designing anti-meteor defenses that use nuclear warheads.

12. DrunkPotHead

There is another problem with traveling through the earth. As you get closer to the center of the earth, gravity will increase (you will weigh a little bit more in a valley than on a mountain) eventually crushing you.

13. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

This knowledge, as far as I can tell, is unknown anywhere outside of your own mind.

If anything, the effects of gravity will decrease as you travel toward the center of a sphere. Theoretically, the gravity effects at the center of the Earth amount to zero, or weightlessness.
    The pressure, however, will increase, and eventually, crush you.

14. DrunkPotHead

First link that i found on google. I love proving people wrong. :thumbsup:

15. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ Diabloii.Net Member

Ah neat. But wasnt it already proven enough times that a means to stop a meteor from hitting Earth or even just nudging it a bit can not be done with nuclear warheads? Its been awhile I saw this show on Discovery I think it was about the astroids/meteors. They were refering to how the movie Armageddon gave the American population a sense of fear and the research in the technology increased dramatically. They tried to do the samething with The day after tomorrow, but failed.

16. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I'm seeing apples and oranges here. You haven't proven anything, just introduced a seperate issue. Sure, if you're standing on a mountain, your weight will increase negligibly due to the additional mass of the mountain beneath you, and also lessen negligibly due to the increased distance from the center of the Earth.
    The value of Earth's gravity, however, does not increase as you near the core. If anything, the effect will lessen until it reaches zero at the center, because all the gravity is around and above you now, gravifying (new word, ok?) you equally from all directions.

Then the pressure of the billions of tons of rock above your head will kill you.

Edit: Here. Another link from the same place:
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/env99/env002.htm

17. SilentMagik

SilentMagik Diabloii.Net Member

Actually gravity is whats causing the pressure. Without gravity, no pressure. At the center the gravitational effecs are the greatest and so is the presure. There is no need to distinguish between the two because they are essentially the same thing. At the center of the Earth your're not weightless. Its just that the gravitational forces are directed at the same focal point, balancing on eachother. You're weighting tons in all directions at once. Thats how I understand it anyway.

18. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

But there really wouldn't be any rock over your head to crush you..not like water. I mean..its a hole, with daylight on one end, and a ball of hot stuff on the other. I just see a man jumping in a hole...eventually hitting bottom, or cathcing fire somewhere down there, and burning up.

I think if you dug a hole straight thru..it would take more than a day possible to fall thru...meaning you may fall forever...reach a certain point, and fall back the other way.
    Or just kinda bounce of the walls and end up in the middle somehow...casue the Earth turned on its side from your point in the center. Ya thats the ticket I think.

19. DrunkPotHead

Obviously, at the center, the total force of gravity acting on you would be zero. However, as you approach the center, the effect of gravity on you would be strong and stronger. You know that whole gravity is proportional to the square of the distance crap?

20. UserMathias

UserMathias Diabloii.Net Member

The energy from a 100 MegaTon nuclear bomb (achievable by the Tsar Bomba) is about 4 * 10^17 Joules.

An asteroid of, say, a 1 km radius, will have about 10^19 Joules' worth of kinetic energy.

Or in other words, they're currently able to chip off 1% of it. Hey, they wouldn't be employed right now if they had a bomb strong enough to do the job, eh?