Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

We're all going to die!!! Chicken Little & the flu ifr

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, Jun 3, 2005.

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

2. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Scary thoughts indeed. And totally likely to happen one day. Maybe not with one of the disease's that are around now but more likely with something new we've yet to see imo. The vacinations for what we know about are in place are they not?

*grabs shotgun and tinned food*

*goes into hiding*

KnightFall

3. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I think this is all hype.

Someone told me about this once and I was quite shocked, but now I constantly see "flu pandemic" in the headlines and Im quite positive its all b/s propaganda. Who knows what for.

4. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

If I read the article properly, the vaccines are hardly prepared in the numbers that would be required to deal with a real pandemic, even if they are effective. That was the part about the '1 egg per human & 6 months to prepare'...

I've got my case of MRE's and Coleman fuel cannisters in the basement. But I'm not far from a nuclear power plant, so by the time the roving gangs of morlocks appear I'll have acquired sufficient (additional) mutations to be able to deal with them...

5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, why do you think it's crap? The part about the WW1 pandemic is true (I don't recall the exact numbers). It certainly seems a more likely problem than Ozone depletion, global warming, water shortages, et. al. And as for the global terrorism boogeyman, what could be a better primitive weapon than a naturally occurring, virulent disease like the flu?

6. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Had to laugh at this paragraph from the story...

I think your right about there not being enough supplies of antidote layed in yet actually, I heard that somewhere else too.

It was in the story... ^^ So the worlds governments only think 14% of us are worth saving eh?

KnightFall

7. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Im already at the top of that list anyways so bring it on.

*continues to wash his hands anyways*

8. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I used to love Chicken Littles

nowadays they've got those KFC Snackers but it's just not quite the same

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Will this be like SARS "epidemic" that had a death rate of something like 1% among anyone not old and already infirm? Despite that the common flu has a higher death rate?

10. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I am less and less worried about these big epidemics as our population grows. In the early past, such as the 1300's when the plague swept through the land, our population was low enough that no buffer zone existed. Now with 6 billion people and growing, people are being born faster than disease can kill them. Even an epidemic that kills 100 million in 5 years... will do nothing to decrease the population, considering that in those 5 years, about a billion will be born.

What scares me is outstripping the food supply, which unlike humans, won't increase exponentially to match us and will also lose ground to our increasing numbers encroaching upon farm space. Methinks famine will get us in the end, not disease.

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, the AIDS epidemic has naysayers too, as can be seen here, but that hardly means it isn't a reality. I tend to think that media & gov't are far too self-absorbed, and in the media's case, fickle. So it is hardly surprising that SARS or Bovine Encephalytis (sp?) are trumpeted from every speaker, while the far more deadly flu during WW1 is practically unknown.

By the same token, did anyone much care about bio/chem warfare before 9/11? The capabilities are well-known, and the U.S. had its own relatively clinical tests back in the 1950's. We just tend to stick our heads in the sand too often...

12. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I really did not need to ponder such a weighty topic today.

:(

Too much other heavy stuff going on in my head I suppose.

I'll just have to hope for the best.

13. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

I freely admit that I've been generally ignoring these stories in the news but I'm wondering when the flu got so deadly? I realize its trouble in underdeveloped areas but I'm thinking that if the entire population of Toronto got it at the same time we wouldn't really lose anyone other than a few greybeards. I mean, its the flu we are talking about isn't it? Barf some, crap like a demon (a diarrhea demon that is, and everyone knows diarrhea demons crap like rhinos!) for a few days and then you're good to go again.

How did we get to scenarios of tumbleweeds and empty grocery stores?

Dutch

14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

My understanding is that different strains have differing levels of 'potency', and that there's greater death tolls with more dangerous strains. In other words, not just a few greybeards.

Many of the vaccines we get currently are against known strains, and come from existing stocks. The recent panic was more than likely just that - a media-generated panic. I don't much believe in this as a Bush-bashing issue, or a Clinton-should-rot one for that matter. The premise of the article is simply that enough vaccination material can't be generated to deal with a fast-moving outbreak of a strain we've not seen before.

15. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Millions of deaths? Ha, that would barely put a dent in some populations, unless it was very localized.

16. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I'm not going to worry about a potential bird flu pandemic. Neverless I have taken the time to plan a route of evacuation away from anywhere any pandemic is likely to go.

If some sort of pandemic strikes you'll find me a couple of weeks later in some tiny fishing village on the Mexican coast. Sitting in the shade, fishing pole out in the water, Anjeho in my hand...

17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

20-40 million in the 1918 influenza pandemic, Jmerv. If my memory serves. I'm too lazy to actually look up the numbers.

If anything, the SARS scare of a couple years ago showed that governments and the WHO are pretty quick to put the quaratine down on places where virulent and deadly strains of influenza (or whatever). And if you want to play the game where Captain Trips somehow makes it through the dragnet, we're boned anyway; so why worry?

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

My parents both work at a hospital so they get vaccinations as soon as they come out, since I live with them I can request it and get it the next day. I get the flu vaccine every year and this year my mom had me get a vaccine for some weird rash that makes your skin get really thin.

So I don't really have anything to worry about :p

19. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

So, let's see...that means we can take care of the U.S. and about 200 million other people who are either our good buddies, or can pay the asking price for the vaccine. Perfect.

20. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I believe that even in 1918 most of the people who died were very young or very old--there isn't necessarily a 'need' to vaccinate everyone. I'm 22 years old and in good health and physical condition. I'd say my chances of surviving even a potent flu is high.