Well, there goes my tuition

User Name

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, there goes my tuition

Last night, at some point, the sprinkler pipes in the acedemic building (aka the library) exploded due to freezing weather.

This morning, the Penn State Police unlocked the doors to the building to see the entire basement level of the library had 4 feet of water.

The basement of the library contained probably 10,000 books, at least. The basement was basically the place where the archives of magazines were. Such as every monthly edition of National Geographic from 1949 - present, and countless other magazines I've enver heard of. I know one section had some scientific today magazine begining in the 1897.

Along with the books and magazines, was a computer lab with probably 40 computers. Not to mention 2 laser printers and a special laser color printer.

I can only imagine what my tutition is going to be next year.

Suicidal Zebra

Diabloii.Net Member
Dark Matter said:
It was probably insured against fire and flood and shouldn't cost you anything.
Of course, 'probably' and 'actually' are two completely different things. Certainly, were that to happen where I am, I would not be surprised were it not insured.

But then, I am a cynic :).

User Name

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay yes, I am pretty sure it was insured but still

maybe I wont be paying for it with $, but I will not be able to use the library for a while :-D

thejdawg2

Diabloii.Net Member
User Name said:
Okay yes, I am pretty sure it was insured but still

maybe I wont be paying for it with $, but I will not be able to use the library for a while :-D
Not like you should have been using it anyways. :)

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Suicidal Zebra said:
Of course, 'probably' and 'actually' are two completely different things. Certainly, were that to happen where I am, I would not be surprised were it not insured.

But then, I am a cynic :).
I used probably as I am not sure where User Name is located and what statutoty requirements for insurance his state/country might have.

Certainly in the UK any property open to the public is legally required to have full insurance against fire, flood, theft and personal injury etc. I admit that there will be some shops etc. that are not correctly insured, but a school/college/university would not dare take that risk, esp. with the current increase in personal injury claims.

theDave

Diabloii.Net Member
you're an idiot, dude

I go to Behrend too, and it wasn't the Academic building. It was the Science building (yah know, the one on the other end of the campus) that was flooded.

There aren't any books that were hurt, but some computers, yes. Your tuition will not increase because of this. The biggest factor that affects your tuition cost is how much money the state of Pennsylvania gives the university.

Steve_Kow

Banned
theDave said:
I go to Behrend too, and it wasn't the Academic building. It was the Science building (yah know, the one on the other end of the campus) that was flooded.

There aren't any books that were hurt, but some computers, yes. Your tuition will not increase because of this. The biggest factor that affects your tuition cost is how much money the state of Pennsylvania gives the university.
Nice first post--tell me--who did you used to be?