Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Well that didn't take long...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MadMachine, Sep 19, 2006.

1. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

Well that didn't take long...

As some of you know, I told you about how my dad bought a new Dell computer. After about a week and a half of having his new system, I get a call this morning from him telling me that the computer doesn't work.

This is where I roll my eyes and wonder where the surprise is.

Apparently the thing suffers a 'fatal system error' and ends up hanging before the OS even starts. I assume he called the Dell people either last night or before me, but they're no help, they do some things on their end of the phone and tell him that there's nothing they can do, all his data is lost. Well my dad's pissed about the new computer and has no more faith in Dell. It took care of my faith in them too.

Needless to say - I told him he should either try to Google the system error to find out if there's anything they can do. Other than that, take out the hard drive and plug it into another computer to see if there's anything that can be saved.

From the sound of it, he starts it up and then the computer makes a little buzz and then stops. I think the HD is shot, but I'm no expert.

The Dell rep also told him that they would be sending him a survey to his email account for him to tell them how the call went. And to have a nice day.

2. skihard

skihard Banned

My dell at home is 4 years old and going strong, the dell's the guy's here at work have purchased recently for home are all having problems. they like to come get advice from me and our tech guy depending on the problem. network they come to me system they go to him, anyhow lot's of problems in the dell world.

I'm holding off on a new system till Vista is released then I'm building me a sweet machine that can play Hellgate and anything else that might be coming out in the next 2 years.

3. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

You'll be having to wait a while for semi-decent dx10 cards to come out then. That and possibly a physics card if physics are to be implemented succesfully into games.

4. skihard

skihard Banned

Ghost Recon is doing a pretty good job with physics, and there are a couple dx10 cards being tested already according to G4 show I saw the other day. I know I have at least 6 months to wait but I think I can get another 8 or 9 moths out of my current box so I'm prepared to wait.

5. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Should have bought a quality low-end computer like an e-machine.

6. P-Unit

P-Unit IncGamers Member

The original video card fried in my Dell computer and by the time we got a semidecent one we had been to 3-4 different countries, 8 hours on the phone and about 2 weeks. Just to get a card that isnt even as good as the original.

7. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Make your own machine. It's not hard, in fact it's dead easy. Warranties aren't an issue since most individual parts come with them now anyway. I can imagine a mass-producing company being able to produce a low- to medium-spec machine for a little less than you could buy the parts for but IMO choosing and knowing exactly what's in your machine, and what isn't, is worth any small extra cost.

8. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Is it Dell that's the problem, or one of the part manufacturers?

9. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Get an abacus.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

OMG, beads froze.