Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Well....it's time to walk away....sorta

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by rev129, Jan 31, 2004.

1. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

Well....it's time to walk away....sorta

I'm not gonna sit here and lie to you or myself and say I'm quiting for good. But, I can say with clear mind, I'm walking away. As I remember back to many years ago, I clearly remember the first time I ever played Diablo. I was about 3 hours into the bata test for Diablo(I) and I remember my girlfriend, now wife walking in and saying, "Whats this?" I replied, "Oh nothing, a game I downloaded." (At that time I had just "quit" MechWarrior) She then said, "Is this gonna be like MechWarrior?" I replied, "Oh no, it's a good game so far but I don't see myself playing it to long." Well, here we are today and I'll step away for now. After getting the 3 classes I play (Zon,Barb,Assassin) to lev 90+ in SC, I picked up HC and managed to get an Assassin to lev 73 before she died today. It was a said time. I sat there in front of my computer and did one of those reflecting moments. Thats when it hit me. time to walk away. So, I then cleared out 2 accounts full of mid-high level sets, runes, uniques and rares. I'd open a game with an inviting name and empty out a char, start another game, empty out another. It felt really good. I wouldn't be surprised if someone reading this post got something from me today. The reason I did this was because in the past, I always came back to keep my accounts active but this time I'm making that temptation a nonfactor. The 3 high lev charaters I have are no more. I gave the best gear to peps on my FL, then deleted them. So, for now, I'll walk away. But, I'll proubly be back with the next patch, new ladder season. So, God Speed, good bye......for now.

PS. My first charater name in Diablo was REV12_9, for years people have asked my what it ment. I always told them, read your Bible. most the time I got flamed for that answer. So, here it is, here is where I got it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

REV12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

2. iamscottbowdown

iamscottbowdown IncGamers Member

I have heard that quote in a song before, its kinda creepy. However, good luck on whatever you shall do now. I have left diablo twice, only to return again as passionantly as before.

3. Deadbolt13

Deadbolt13 IncGamers Member

Well it really is in the bible. Strange people would flame you for that.

4. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

It sounds to me like you got burned out from playing a little too much. I've been gaming for 20+ years now and I know the feeling. Just think of it as taking a little "vacation".

This is a great game for addicts like me; it's free to play and it keeps me from buying a dozen new games every month.

If you do come back next ladder season, it'll be a whole new game again (almost). It's amazing how much fun the game can be when you play it without relying on 10 accounts of mules with every item imaginable at your disposal. I doubt you'll ever regret giving all your stuff away.

Good luck with whatever you do Rev and keep in touch with us on the boards. :)

5. DarkeSlayer

DarkeSlayer IncGamers Member

There must always be a time that you must decide when to walk away from a game. Personally I did that with Everquest and came over to this game. But like Everquest, this game is starting to tire me out - though I have set my eyes on Lord of Everquest - maybe I will give it a try... Good luck on what you do next.....

:xirish:

6. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I tried to leave d2 once, but I couldn't do it (well - I didn't really wanna quit as I loved and still love this game). There is something with this game... some kind of mental caffein. Only people who are really into the game can understand it. I tried to explain to my mother why her 27 year old son is stuck with this game (and skip the reading of those university books), and because of that sometimes never catch a glimpse of daylight. It was impossible. Good enough I don't live with my parents anymore - I could never play as much as I do if I did...
    So, rev129, I know what you're trying to leave behind. And I wish you the best of luck. One of my friends had to break the cd in pieces to stop playing....

7. ch33s3 m4st3r

ch33s3 m4st3r IncGamers Member

You'll be back, they always come back.

Edit: I tried the whole deleting my characters and giving away all my items thing twice, and that didn't stop me from playing. :/ Being poor and starting over is actually kinda fun.

8. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

its the promise of something better, just as in gambeling..you cant quit..just when you think..."ahh hell with this" out pops sigons armor for your new barb, or a rare +2 necro shield...OMG..this will do for now till I get a Homo!

I love starting over, but I also hate getting to lvl 99..casue I feel finished..I mean what the hell you gonna do with a lvl 99 character..you cant really mf, casue your mf sorc you made does that..and much faster..so what the hell good is it other than stay logged on in the lobby just to show, "hey, I got a lvl 99 necro".

a double edge sword...I love and hate this game.

"just when I think I'm done, it pulls me back in!"

But I tell ya, I aint giving away ****! I found it/traded for it...I'm going down with it!..mumuhahaa

9. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

Someone randomly got this game for me one day and I had liked the first diablo but didn't expect to get hooked like i did. From the very beginning I was confused as to what the real point was in this game and i've been playing it for a little less than a year now and I still don't know what the point is, but I've come to the conclusion that games don't have to have a point to be fun. Does that make any sense?

10. wedoz

wedoz IncGamers Member

bought the game because 2 other dudes i played online games with had it.

man talk about the noobie days. i can remember giving arreats away for a pgem because i needed the p gem for my sword :scratch:

11. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I've walked away from the game twice. The second time, it was almost for good. But the itch never completely went away. It's kind of like how it is with Jordan. You just know he's gonna come back when he's 45.

12. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

i stopped playing for quite a long time as well, when i went through a phase of counterstrike (actually getting quite good) i lost all my stuff because my accounts got deleted.

But then i came back and in half the time that i spent on d2 before i quit i had MUCH better stuff (i mean id never even dreamed of having a wf before, then i got 2) and now id consider myself pretty good at the game. Im finding it hard making my way in ladder though!!

13. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

ya I've done that also..come back stronger than ever...I think its becasue you've alrdy went thru the noobish stage, now its time for the talent to shine thru.
    Its like this week...well I'll take ya back 1st.

My barb House_ofPain, he used to be so weak in 1.9, mainly due to crappy items..and in a game once, hell cows I died very wimpy, while the other barb right next to me survived no problem..I thought this is BullS., I gotta do something to get this character stronger..I mean hes my best one!
    So like a friend told me, he said"stop working on like 5-6 characters at a time, work with one till hes complete or until your happy".
    Hmm, I thought to myself..dang never thought about that, I usually get bored and start working on another character every like 4-5 days...which meant alot of my items were spread thin..,.but this time I would stick to one.

2 weeks later

He wore damn near every godly item in the game. And became my most awesome character, and my favorite...took alot of trading/begging and pleading..but he came thru......and all went great for awhile, until 1.0 came around...he wasnt weak in 1.0, but he had a unfortunate accident which lost me my GF/Storm in one death! My valor was taken my the rust storm, but I figured on that. But my other 2 weapons...noooo!
    I somehow managed to pick up a weapon, and its was a eth maul, I didnt noticed it, left the game casue I couldnt retrieve my body, and the game recorded the maul over my other wepons somehow? I'm not sure how it happned, but it happened.
    And as of now, I've been working on a awesome pvp barb, that I love, and a concentrate barb. And everyone is telling me, get a storm, get a storm.....so once again, I turned on the hot light..and attempt what seems impossible to trade now....

I bought 3 SS's..2 days ago. And a rare sword that I think is as good as a GF.

so once again...heeeee's baaack!.:)

so to those who think that theres noway of returning the power you once had....trust me, I'm am far, far from being rich. I'm called noob by those kinda of people, ..but yet I always seem to find or join into what is going to be a great deal. It always works like that, you lose big, you win big....just hope the latter happens more.:)

14. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

i quit once before in the last 3 years, but not cause i wanted too. just so happens, right when the patch came out, my d*mn comp decided to start screwing up, gateway crap (its actually been a descent comp), so what happens? my mother board is going out, so i have to take it in to gateway, but wait, all the FREAKEN gateways are out of business in a 300 mile radius! so i take it up to OK, were my now wife was at the time, leave it at a gateway there, 6 hours away, course it takes them a week to get the new board, so when my girl comes back to see me, she can't bring it, thats one week lost on the patch... next time she i'm gonna see her is 2 weeks away... so no d 2 for what ends up being over a month..

so what do you do when u don't play diablo for ever free hour daily? well, lets just say you have A LOT of free time. i found myself watching hours of tv, and let me say, TV sucks arse! nothing but crap on tv, other than csi and a few other descent shows, but what it comes down to, is i'd much rather waste my time playing D ii over tv any day.

15. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

o man i know how u feel

i used to watch TV but it sucks sooo much compared to computer!!

the way i see it computer games are like watching the TV, but you get to decide the story (i can use this on my parents too - "but mum i dont think when i watch TV, diablo makes me use my brain!!")

lol it may not work but hey!!

16. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

just say hey mom, this helps my hand eye cordination, my reading skills, my typing skills, and i get to interact with people all over the world, even if half of them are a holes and dishonest SOBs(the majority of b net users)
    :D