Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Well, I got to play the demo for about an hour yesterday:

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by jread, Aug 23, 2010.

1. jread

jread IncGamers Member

Well, I got to play the demo for about an hour yesterday:

I made it out to the Warcraft finals here in Austin yesterday and got to sit down at the D3 demo for a solid hour before they kicked us off. Keep in mind, this is the '09 demo that everyone already knows about, but I just wanted to share my thoughts:

The good:

- It had the "feel" of Diablo that I was hoping for. Very gothic and dark, with plenty of creepy things to look at and fight. I was afraid the 3D graphics would make it look too blocky or "cartoony", but Blizzard did a great job of keeping the characters proportional, etc. Some of the backgrounds and perspectives were really awesome.

- It is definitely a "new" game but has a familiar feel to it. The attributes on the items I picked up were similar to what you find in D2, and the location of the skills, etc. was where I expected. Even most of the hotkeys still did the same things :)

- It is easy to jump in and start playing, just like D1 and D2. Sure, it is complex enough to give you something to learn or something to do constantly, but it is also simple enough that anyone can learn the basics quickly.

The Bad:

The main things I did not like about it were exactly what I was expecting given the move to 3D: it felt slower, and the graphics were not as detailed.

- What I mean by it feeling "slower" is that I'm used to the fast action and frenetic pace of D2, and to me 3D games never "feel" as fast as 2D games. It just seemed to move at a much slower pace and I got kind of bored (hopefully this changes in the final version).

- It seems that the blockiness of 3D graphics, regardless of how nice the textures are that are wrapped around them, always detracts from the overall detail in-game. D2 has some of the most beautiful and detailed 2D graphics ever, but D3 did not really have this and was not as impressive visually. I mean, yeah, the cliffs, mines, etc. in the desert were very cool, and the town (I forgot the name) was extremely well done, but the characters/enemies did not have that "hand drawn" look that I love so much in the current games. This is just my opinion as others may prefer the 3D look (maybe my age is showing).

Overall:

For the most part, I was impressed. D3 looks like it is going to be a great game. I was definitely not "blown away", but then again this is only an early demo and so much is going to change and be improved before the final version anyway. Something that I couldn't ignore the whole time I was playing was that I kept having flashbacks of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II from the PS2 days: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/bgdarkalliance2/index.html

2. narcotix

narcotix IncGamers Member

Re: Well, I got to play the demo for about an hour yesterday:

would love to see more hands on reviews from people and the classes they played. Seems like this is a close as I will get to the game for another year or 2.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i cant wait for the blizzcon hands on, those are gonna be some good reads i think

4. reclinemusic

reclinemusic IncGamers Member

cheers for the shout out to baldur's gate dark alliance. my favorite console game ever. thanks for the writeup.

5. jread

jread IncGamers Member

Forgot to mention that I played the barbarian. The had the skills locked so I didn't really get to try them all out.

6. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

Hey, Jread, in order for me to fully grasp your experience, I would like to ask you some questions, If you don't mind answering: (since I have never played the demo, and I don't think screenshots and movie clips are enough to feel the game).

- Which you consider to be better, in retrospective: D1 or D2?
    - Have you played Torchlight? Did you liked it?
    - In percentages, to which of this three games D3 looks like the most?

7. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I went to the Austin demo too. I didn't get the slow feeling you had. I went in the morning both days and only got to play in 15 minute segments. So, I felt more rushed than anything else.

I played the monk, wizard and witch doctor. I really didn't like the interface. Trying to look through the skills was a pain. They didn't seem to be sorted in any way. It took me a while to figure out how to even assign different skills into the "belt" thing. I don't know why but it just felt wrong to use the number keys instead of the F keys. The whole interface was just so intuitive in D2. I still remember just installing the game and I was off and running. Now it's cluttered and clumsy. Clicking and dragging skills to my belt was not my first idea of how it should work.

I didn't really care for the demo either. I'm not sure if there was a boss somewhere in there but each time I had about enough time to get to some building with captives to be let out. I never figured out where to go in there. It seemed like a dead end every time. Then they'd kick us off.

Each time I was able to gain 1 level and it seemed totally uneventful. Whoopdy doo I get 1 skill point. That's all I get for leveling up? I'm sure my stats changed, but it did not feel rewarding to just get one little skill point and that's it.

Overall I was fairly underwhelmed. I'm hoping that it's just because a demo doesn't really fill the purpose of Diablo games. I identified a few rare items but the didn't tend to fit my character. I think I may have upgraded 2 items over the 3 times I played. Diablo is all about searching for the next best item, but when you don't know what the heck will power does for you and you can't save your character, it all feels a bit moot.

Oh and I wasn't a big fan of the health globes. When I finished off a mob but still ended up with low health there wasn't much to do but throw myself into another pack of enemies to die and refill my life that way. Kinda dumb IMO.

I think I liked the witch doctor the best only because I didn't die. The zombie dogs kept me pretty safe and I just firebombed everything to death. That gameplay would get pretty old though.

8. jread

jread IncGamers Member

Don't mind at all:

- In retrospect, I think D2 is the better one just because there was so much more to do. As far as the "presentation" (creepy mood, music, etc.) I think D1 wins, but as far as just pure enjoyment I have to go with D2 as it is my most favorite game of all time (and I've been playing video games a good 25-years). D2 has just about everything I have ever wanted in a game, and the fact that it is still going strong after 10-years is a testament to just how much lasting value it has.

- I have played Torchlight (the demo) and I do like it. It is a little "cartoony" for my taste, but it is a great game. Again, it's a little too slow for me... I like the arcade-style action of D2.

- This is a tough one because it really isn't like any of them, but I will try (this is if we are totaling 100%): D1: 35%, D2: 45%, Torchlight: 20%

Honestly, though, look up the game I mentioned in my first post (Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II). D3, at least the demo, is A LOT like that game (which is a great game, btw)... I'd say it's closer to that game than any of the ones above. You should give it a shot if you want to get the "feel" of the D3 demo. Here's a gameplay video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_MN9op-Zdo

9. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

Thanks for answering, it really improves my perspective over the game.

Regarding Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, I don't have a Playstation and I haven't bought a console since the snes (besides the psp, which I bought to play snes roms with an emulator, and now I'm stuck with an unhackable handheld), so I can't really check it out. Still, the gameplay and visuals of the game (from the video you provided) are indeed very similar to D3's footage.

10. jread

jread IncGamers Member

Maybe it's because I played a barbarian for the entire hour and didn't have any of the "cool" skills... it just felt slow to me.

The interface seemed ok to me (maybe because I've played WoW and it reminded me of its interface), though I never did figure out how in the hell to add skills to my belt. I kept trying to add my health potions but it wouldn't let me.

Yep! I rescued all the captives in the town and then there was absolutely nowhere to go from there, and no new quests. I just went back out into the desert and started killing things again. I eventually found a dungeon where there was a "timer" counting down until it collapsed. I went through the whole thing and got every treasure chest, but then there was no way back out. It collapsed on me and I died, then that's about when they started kicking us off. I think that with it being a demo, they don't really give you any more than that because they don't expect you to play that long.

Yeah, I was also bummed that I didn't get to do more with leveling. I really wanted to check out more of the barbarian's skills but it seemed like they were all locked down.

You're right... I mean, to me I could tell I was playing a Diablo game of some sort, but at the same time it was some entirely different game. Enough of it was "familiar" to me that I got the hang of it quickly, and I recognized a lot of the items/stats, but it is hard to compare it to any of the previous Diablo games because the demo is nothing like them. I still can't stop thinking about the Baldur's Gate game, lol.

Agree 100%. It felt like it was very hard to stay alive (those "whirling dervish" things were tearing me apart). Again, I think this was by design to keep people from sitting and playing the demo too long.

I also got bored after awhile. I kept playing just because they hadn't made me leave and I was wanting to see everything I possibly could, but it was honestly getting to be very monotonous.

I'm interested to see what they add to the game during its development and then make my final judgement. I'm sure D2 was crappy at the early demo stage as well. Still, they definitely have A LOT of work to do on D3 and they need to not lose sight of what makes a Diablo game if they want it to be successful. I had my fears of what was going to happen given that the original Diablo team is not a part of this game, and honestly I'm starting to get a little worried. It is going to be a good game but I'm not sure if it's going to win over the hardcore fans who have been playing Diablo since the beginning.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  11. Mackan

Mackan IncGamers Member

Sometimes the developers forget what made the previous game(s) so great. As you say, this is a new team, so I am also a bit worried as well what the end product will be. When I first saw the art style, I felt like "****, looks nice... but not Diablo".

12. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Although i didn't play any D3 demo, i have been expecting a huge disappointment as some forum readers are aware. These demo reviews look like the signs of what's coming.

13. themo

themo IncGamers Member

From what I have read, It seems nobody is really satisfied with the demo, nobody really likes the low detailed, bad graphics also.

Diablo 3 might be a huge failure, probably it will not be as good as Grim Dawn, Dungeon Siege 3 and even Torchlight 2.

14. oscarolim

oscarolim IncGamers Member

Just compare the early demos of Diablo 2 with the final version. Do you really think the D3 demo is any sample of how the final version will look?

15. djfriesen

djfriesen IncGamers Member

qft. without a release date even hinted at (beyond "when it's done"), i think any conclusions about the final product are premature. i have to hope that things are improved during iteration, but beyond that assumption, i can't say much else about what the game will be like when it hits the shelves.

that being said, i hope the devs are paying some attention to what the fans are saying about the "feel" of the game. i would venture to say that there are diehard fans that know the diablo franchise better than this team of developers does. so who better to look to for constructive criticism? shoot, blizzard wouldn't even have to pay them.

16. jread

jread IncGamers Member

That is what is keeping me going. There is still a lot of time and, as you said, I'm sure the early D2 demos weren't any better. I'm looking forward to seeing how much has changed at the Blizzcon demo.

17. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Good to see that we had similar impressions. Makes me think it wasn't just me.

Sounds like we both went in with different mindsets and ended up at the same place too. I went in really excited expecting to be blown away.

I agree that it's not worth it to try to draw any conclusions about the final product from the demo, but my excitement factor has definitely decreased. I'm sure that they've already polished the game up quite a bit since this is an older demo anyway.

Also I feel so much better that there was nothing to do in that area with the captives. lol I kept thinking I must be an idiot for not figuring out where I was supposed to go.

18. acjohnso

acjohnso IncGamers Member

i would guess that polishing the game will be toward the final stages of development. they want to finish the content first. then they make it pretty and run smoother. then they balance the mechanics. thats just my guess. either way, i'm pretty sure they are a long way from the "polishing" stage.

from what i've read, the chance to drop health globes at a monster's death is very high. so you should have been seeing more globes drop as you finish off a group of monsters. regardless, this is a valid concern, and will most certainly be balanced... eventually

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  19. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

does health regenerate over time at all? i am guessing no. what about anyone in town giving you a free heal?

20. Nuri

Nuri IncGamers Member

I trust Blizzard will solve the health matter, if they haven't already. Likely much has changed since the '09 build.