Well, I finally did it...

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I finally did it...

Bought an engagement ring that is!

It's kind of a weird story. My dad is a full-time pastor, but he's also an antique collector and dealer part-time. This past week, I was home on a break from school to visit my girlfriend (of almost two years) and family.

When I got home, my dad told me he had been at an auction about two weeks ago, and he purchased six antique engagement rings with matching wedding bands.

Long story short, I'm going to put a new stone - about .4 carats - into one of the old settings, all for around $500.00...which is about all I can afford after 6 consecutive years in school.

It's going to be awhile until I propose... I'm thinking early summer of '07, or maybe the spring...

But, I'm happy, and I thought I'd share the news! :jig:

Gertlex

Banned
Congratz on that step!

... question I have though: is it normal for a guy to buy the ring this far in advance? Seems a bit risky.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Risky? If this falls through there is always next time. Just don't tell the woman you bought it so long ago.

Lord Nyax

Banned
No no no. Don't listen to these posers. If (nvm, let me rephrase. When) she says no, tell her this story. Tell her she's breaking your heart, and that you'll never be the same. She'll never be able to live with herself. Guilting people into life-long comittements is way better than actually getting them to go into it voluntarily.
:smug:

yoshiurae

Diabloii.Net Member
No no no. Don't listen to these posers. If (nvm, let me rephrase. When) she says no, tell her this story. Tell her she's breaking your heart, and that you'll never be the same. She'll never be able to live with herself. Guilting people into life-long comittements is way better than actually getting them to go into it voluntarily.
:smug:
This got a good laugh out of me.

I'm going to design the engagement ring myself and probably do my own wedding band. She'll want a tiffany for her wedding band. . .

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
He, well it's not really risky.

We're both committed to each other... we've talked about it several times. The main reason we haven't gotten engaged sooner is money. Translation: I haven't been able to afford a ring. But, now I can :grin:

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
... question I have though: is it normal for a guy to buy the ring this far in advance? Seems a bit risky.
Nyah.

You know you want to use it, and you can always make the minor adjustments - such as the eventual refitting for size, it'd be a pretty surprised if the ring'd be perfect fit.

I'd only take it as a risky business if the future ringbearer would like to definitely choose her own ring, like mine did. But there are a great many girls to my knowledge who would prefer the romantic feeling that lies within a ring bought without their knowledge.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
I have told my girlfriend many times that she isn't getting a diamond because of my personal feelings about the diamond industry. I think it is finally starting to sink in.

Now I just have to find a place to live....

I have told my girlfriend many times that she isn't getting a diamond because of my personal feelings about the diamond industry. I think it is finally starting to sink in.

I know what you mean, I'd rather get a ruby/emerald. But, if it's diamonds baby wants, it's diamonds baby gets.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
No, I am actually pretty adamant about this, and she I am beginning to chip away at the ridiculous concept that an engagement ring has to be a diamond. She is starting to realize how silly that is. The funny thing is, I may end up spending more on an alternative stone (sapphire or something).

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
So... am I to assume you don't actually have an intended yet?

Isn't the ring for her?

No, I am actually pretty adamant about this, and she I am beginning to chip away at the ridiculous concept that an engagement ring has to be a diamond.
LOL, puns.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
The ring may be for her but it is a symbol of both of us, or, rather it may be in the future.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds to me like it's going to be a symbol of one of you nagging the other until they've been beaten around to their way of thinking to me. No offence.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Well that is inevitable with something like this now isn't it. One of us is going to have to concede. Not sure why you think I might take offence to what you said though.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Well that is inevitable with something like this now isn't it.
But given engagement rings are supposed to be all about the recipient I'd have thought that she'd naturally be the one who got her own way.

One of us is going to have to concede. Not sure why you think I might take offence to what you said though.
Well, I am commenting on your personal relationship so I thought I might be stepping over the line.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
I was unaware that engagement rings were supposed to be all about the recipient, so this may be a problem with my own personal thoughts of the concepts involved.

As for you commenting on my personal relationship, if I mention it here, that pretty well puts it up for comment in my view.