Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Welcome back to me... and two questions?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pär, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back to me... and two questions?

Hey. Used to hang out in the diabloii.net SPF waaaaay back when (2002-2004?). So long ago I don't even remember what handle I used. Played Strafeazon, Zealot, used ATMA, beat the game with a Necro (meh, too easy) and never played anything other than HC since the computer I started playing on was already HC-enabled and me not having a clue what hardcore meant when I started.

Since then I got into and out of WoW a bunch, was semi-famous for a bit (feral druid raiding videos at coldbear.wordpress.com) and now I'm back and have finally figured out how to get D2 to look semi-decent on my iMac - had to adjust resolution and some other stuff.

Q: Just to make sure I'm not going crazy - the only way to reset a map on SP is after you've beaten the game on Normal, correct? Runewords are kinda fun and I'd love to just hang out and run Countess on Normal for a bit.

Q: ATMA no work on Mac - what's the preferred Mac alternative?

Cheers.

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Welcome back to me... and two questions?

Welcome back!

A: You could just delete the map file and have the game respawn a new one iirc, or just go to TCP/IP --> Host Game/Join Game, and it'll reset as well.

A: GoMule. It's in the stickies.

Enjoy your stay!

3. zarqu

zarqu Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome !

So, as an ex wow player, I checked your cat druid site. Strolled to "Guide: How to Feral DPS". Well, brain injury. I had heard rumours about the massively complicated, meticulous and all in all ridiculous feral rotation (there's no rotation ! first come, first serve!). Seeing it in action made shadow priest (my class in tbc) look like a hammerdin.

CB07... Do it ! Bring it back !

Anyways, have fun in game and in forums.

4. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Haha! I loved that Paxton movie.

Thanks for the tip on the map file and the TCP/IP stuff. Indeed I had found GoMule in the stickies, then this site went down.

Gosh, I need to figure out what my old handle was.

EDIT: Might have been same handle? Or not. Anyways, glad to see some of the old crew are still active. Well, lone_wolf anyway. I went to the oldest posts I could find here, seem to remember some Greybeard drama, Elly (went to work for Blizz?), AlterEgo and some other names I vaguely remember.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  5. Corrupted

Corrupted Diabloii.Net Member

Hey, you can't welcome yourself back. That's just now how it works.

To elaborate on omg's map answer: You can't just delete the map files, your map depends on the seed which is stored in the character file, the map files only tell you how much you explored. (afaik)

6. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

I deleted the <character name>.map file while logged out from that character (game still open), logged the char back in and the maps were brand new ready to be explored, so it does work.

7. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Umm ...this is kinda stupid but turns out you can just close and save the game, then re-open and you're back in town and all monsters have re-spawned. No need to mess with files or whatnot.

8. Chairnick

Chairnick Diabloii.Net Member

Umm, yeah?
    You thought that once the area is clear it stays clear forever? :D
    It stays clean only until you save & exit. ;)

9. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Yes, thats the way it is.

Can you imagine me when D2 was launched: An active Nethack player saving the game and noticing that not all of the game state was saved. I used to leave the game runnig when I went to sleep so that I don't have to kill all those monsters again.

Nowadays I either just clear the mobs from the last WP to the new area or run without killing if it's a single pass character.

I know, from NetHack, that keeping the full state information does enlargen the save file. But it's never larger than the state of the game while playing. The state on the other hand is kept on disk except the current level. Items in NetHack don't degenerate and are almost(1) always found where they were left. Nethack on the other hand has a random monster regeneration, so that allready cleared levels are not always empty.

So Nethack has a way to generate infinite items by the random monster generation(2), where as Diablo 2 uses the spawn all the maps with new monsters(3) when you load approach.

(1) All the time you are walking a level monsters can pick up items left behind and when you change level to a previously visited level, the monsters there are given number of free moves based on the time last visited minus current time.

(2) There are extinction levels for monsters in Nethack after witch they won't be generated anymore. There is though an exception to this: On the quest levels the quest monsters spawn unlimited time.

(3) And containers. Not only the monsters are renewed but every chest, log, stone, bouldre, corpse, skeleton and whatever are primed for new drops. Furthermore the shopkeepers renew their inventories even faster.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. Death_Dealer

Death_Dealer Diabloii.Net Member

This is true but to expand on what others have said, you can also change your game seed. In other words you can change the placement of items in the maps until you get a favorable layout.

You accomplish this by loading a different difficulty for that character. If you wish to change your NM seed simply load a game in Normal then save and exit and go back to your Nightmare game.

It's random each time but you can get lucky and get a layout where the pad is near your objective. Usefull for people who want to run a boss repeatedly.

WB to me btw :thumbup:

11. Asmodeous

Asmodeous Diabloii.Net Member

Heya and welcome to the SPF!

Your handle doesn't ring any bells for me, so probably another name back then. Any scandles or famous quotes you where known by back then another oldy like me may rmember your old handle by? Where you in the old SPTN?

Not that it really matters but hey, gives us something to talk about perhaps!

12. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Nope, not really famous. I never really traded at all.

All I remember from the old diabloii.net was some drama with some respected dude named one of: Greybeard/Jarulf?/Gannulf or something like that.

13. Asmodeous

Asmodeous Diabloii.Net Member

All good.

I checked out your post history which turned into a bit of a nostalgia trip for me, here if you don't know how to find it. There are a couple of names in that thread that bring back some memories like Shivan!

You may not recall, but the last forum crash was in june 2003 hence why nobody has a join date prior to that. There was another forum crash earlier than that, march or may 2001 from memory. Quite a few posters made name changes after the crashes as everything was lost. Everybody had to re register and start again.

Yes, your memory serves you correctly there. Greybeard is the name you'd remember in the SPF and yes, it was a big drama back then!

14. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Blast from the past that was! Oh dude, thanks a ton for that!

15. Grisu

Grisu Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back!

BTW, deleting your map files only leads to an undiscovered automap. The map itself will stay the same though. As others have pointed out, you need to switch difficulties or log in to a TCP/IP game to change the map itself.

*Travels back in time to see what everyone is talking about*