Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weird idea for act 3 mercs

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by batuchka, Jun 27, 2005.

1. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Weird idea for act 3 mercs

I wanted a way to find another use for Act 3 mercs as almost all my chars uses an Act 1 or 2 merc. I have this theory and if it works i can see act 3 mercs being useful for elemental based chars :p If not - well thats where u statistics experts come in hehe. Now then my weird idea:

Merc : Act 3 Lightning
    Weapon : Crescent Moon Cryptic Sword/Phase Blade
    Shield : 'Hel' Medusa Gaze Aegis
    Armor : 15% lighning skill Ormus Robes
    Helm: 'Ral' Andy helm

Idea: With +skills/fcr, -lighning res from CM and +lightning skill from ormus it is hoped that the merc will actually do some damage. Also merc FAQ states that act 3 merc doesn't actually use shield to block so to exploit this a 'Hel' Medusa Gaze aegis is employed. When merc gets hit it has a 10% ctc slvl 7 lower resist curse (-51% all resists/32 secs) In order to equip this heavy shield a hel rune is used and +str from andy helm hopefully will help :p I was thinking this one day while figuring what merc to benefit a rabies-fireclaws druid. A cold merc is also another option using Nightwing, Cold Ormus and Voice Of Reason sword but this is the cheapest i could think of. You guys think this idea viable? Thks in advance for any input :D

2. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Hard times ahead

I can tell you from experience some of this gear is going to be unbelievably difficult for him to wear. Even an ethereal HEL Medusa's Gaze is 178Str, and it takes a normal act three merc into the mid-90s just to wear a phase blade... with help. The merc information on http://www.diabloii.net isn't totally accurate anymore, but should be enough for stats: 123Dex at CLvl98 needing 136, 153Str needing 178. This means you'll need 25Str and 13Dex extra for a CLvl98 Lightning Wolf. The cryptic would be a much better alternative, assuming you can find one and be willing to use the runes for a merc (and assuming the mod works with cast lightning, which I haven't heard to the contrary), but there's still the matter of the Gaze. Even a perfect Visage means you'd need him to hit 94, quite a way just to try this experiment, and that's assuming you have an ethereal Gaze, otherwise you'll need another 9Str.

And that's kind of mean, letting him get hit ten times just to cast Lower Resist once! Don't you realize that by the tenth hit that poor man will be dead? It'd be better just going with a Dream helm/shield combination. I feel sorry for your merc, the abuse he's about to take is unthinkable. I'd gladly hire him away from such a tyrant to prevent this kind of torture!

3. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

I have medusa Blast merc (using 2 soc 35 str Giant skull) - the lower resist is great! Go for it if you can ajust your playing style to it (the merc is not dieng really often).

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Thks for your input :D Yes i did think str req for that shield is gonna be steep and the thought of an act 3 merc taking hits and surviving did worry me. Some dr would have helped and perhaps a shaft for armor would be an option but the str req for the shield would still be a problem :( The most economical way would be the set armor from Griswold's set socketed with 3*p.amethysts to make an armor that gives +50str i guess @ the loss of dmg from ormus. If this is feasible idea a max investment of um rune for CM sword won't be so bad IMO. The double dream idea would serve no purpose as w/o synergy the holy shock aura won't help and i was more thinking of a sort of 'amp damage' for chars with elemental based damage. Not to mention that this calls for the investment of at least 2 jah runes on a merc! The pulse dmg isn't high and he actually has to land a hit for the bulk of that lightning dmg to pay off :( Thks for the stats on an act 3 merc - that was very helpful :D

Edit: Wow thats great news Dad Daniel! I have all the stuff req collecting dust in my mules lol. Geez how did i forget uniq bone visage *slaps forehead* :p

5. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

The str req for an eth, HEL'ed Medusa's is 168.

The lightening wolf at lvl 86 has 138 str, and 111 dex.

Andy's gives +25-30 str.

So, your wolf can use eth Medusa's & a cryptic sword at level 86 with a 30 str andy.

The problem with your wolf setup is that he won't have enough FCR. And the shield is nearly useless to him at all, because he won't get hit very often (or he will have to die), and his improved AR in 1.10 will force him to avoid getting hit as much as he can.

He will need at least 60% FCR to be a reasonable caster (close to 2 casts per sec).

The best setup for him is dual spirit wielding with your ormus and a shako. He gets 90% FCR (=12 frame) with perfect spirit swd/shld, +6 skills, additional dmg from Ormus, and extra resists/life. You'll need to socket helm/armor to give him more +str for the shld.

6. HCTwinJava

Correction: it's 178. Sry. Please just ignore what I wrote about the str req.

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

the only reason to use an a3 merc is have impressive mf:

4 ist shield
    6 ist crystal sword
    etheral ist harle
    ist skulder

8. HCTwinJava

you forgot mentioning that your INSANELY EXPENSIVE merc must use an eth shield, which I have not found since spirit runeword came out. otherwise, he will be at least 1 str short.

my very old nova sorc had a such merc from Norm. she chose an act3 merc only because she did not need any merc (she could tank and kill everything in the game other than MSLEB).

9. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Wouldn't a IstIstIstIst Eth Jeweler's Monarch of Simplicity be light enough for the merc to wear, even without any +str eq?

10. Ax2Grind

But, of course!

And if you plan on using that many perfect gems to reroll a Baal monarch (I have two) be my guest. I, on the other hand, have indeed found three or four ethereal monarchs since I started. One some time ago that I gave to the regular I play with - a paladin using an act three cold merc - but who lost it when he left for some time and the account he had it muled to expired. I gave him another this season on ladder and I believe I have one or two more somewhere. They're not hard to find, a lightning javezon can find one doing cows now and then. Anyone know their trade value? :uhhuh:

11. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

This really INSANELY EXPENSIVE merc would need to kill something to have any use of his mf...

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Yeah, but he'd do well in normal difficulty, trying to find TC3 items.

I'd not let him go up against hell pindle or baal alone, tho. Maybe static field could help him a little bit, or a character which does very little base damage, but have a lot of CB.

13. Ax2Grind

It's the build that counts

Frenzy Barbarian runs down full force to Mephisto, bypassing Bremm and everyone else along the way, and takes both axes to his head until he's down to a sliver. Portalling back to town and switching all of his gear, he then jumps back down, casts Lower Resist from a wand and arms his six-isters with fingers on 16 full juvies. The Ice Wolf will slow Meph down and, eventually with the help of the curse, kill him. Shattering isn't an issue here since the purpose is fast boss running, so horking corpses is irrelevent.

Almost 1700% additional magic-find tends to help those quest drops when you don't talk to Asheara after getting the ring from Ormus. No danger of Iron Maiden, either.

14. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Yeah, yeah... and in the same time a semi bad sorc clvl70 with 300 mf can do 3 runs gaining 2x more uniques... Just 2 things:
    1. Time
    2. Diminishing returns

Btw -I belive Superhall was kidding when he wrote his post... Was you? :uhhuh:

15. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I'm unfamiliar with this here. What does it mean?

BTW, it has never been possible to hork act bosses anyway, so shattering them just makes the first part of that goofy death animation go away.

16. Ax2Grind

For helvete

The first part involves the quest drop. As stated by Blizzard, the first drop for monsters such as Mephisto are enhanced encouraging players to complete quests. Turns out there's a bug that treats all drops as first/quest drops, as either Thrugg or RTB as surmised, if there's still a quest left open in the appropriate act.

When taking into consideration the value of hellforge drops and two skill points, leaving open any quest in act four isn't worth it. Act two is similarly hitched as all quests but the Summoner and Radament are finished if you defeat Duriel. Radament's reward of a Book of Skill is too valuable to leave uncompleted, and the Summoner tends to have decent drops as well as make it difficult to initiate/enter the portal to Canyon of the Magi. The other three acts can withstand a quest being left open until the right time, specifically quest two in act three.

After returning the Gidbinn to Ormus the quest screen tells you to talk to Asheara, then to Ormus again. The second time Ormus will give you the rare ring and the quest will be done, however, you can talk to Ormus that second time without speaking to Asheara and still get the ring. As long as you never talk to her (resurrect your merc through her, for example) the quest will be left open and the quest drop will always occur... that is if the open quest drop bug actually works that way.

With this bug, and the nearly 1700% bonus you should get some fantastic drops. That's also why I use a pure Frenzy build, because I'm using two weapons all the time and there aren't any points into Find Item; no concern, really, for shattering.

I can run down the durance very quickly, and have a much less chance to die compared to a Sorceress (granted she is still faster in that sense). With practice it doesn't take long to get the gear changed and wait while the merc finishes him off. Yes, diminishing returns and all that, but even if it's three times slower I still have nearly six times the chances. If a Sorc was the only type of deccent magic-finder then no one would be playing other builds much.

17. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

This should be easy to test... I frankly think andariel is the only quest dropping boss (all the time, that is), and her bug is activated in quite a different way (by playing normally...).

Well, if meph ever drops gold, potions, ammo or scrolls, it doesn't work.

18. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

yes i was being facetious.