Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

weird freeze problem

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by sensei, May 14, 2005.

1. sensei

sensei IncGamers Member

weird freeze problem

i had diablo2 installed a while ago on my computer, i got bored of it and quit. there were no problems back then. since then i got a new hardrive, faster and bigger. now when i play d2 it freezes once in a while, usally in the worst possible times, like throne with souls.

i alt tab and it takes a good 30 sec for d2 to minimize and then i can go back. sometimes when i go back it has a serious error and i have to restart computer.

when i run in window mode its all good but thats annoying, anyone have any idea as to why its doing this?

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

First off, is this single player or bnet?

generally, sometimes you computer slows down when you don't delete your temporary internet files or defragment it for a long time. Try that first.

3. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Since you said that it slows down at the worst possible times (ie, when there's a fair amount of monsters around, I guess), I think it could be lag. Try to take down your resolution in the game (in the options menu), or playing the game on DirectDraw, instead of 3D (by running VidTest in the installation directory).

Note: If this is the problem, then most likely it's a video issue, not a harddrive.

4. sensei

sensei IncGamers Member

i defrag on a consistant basis so thats good. it doesnt lag at all, im on directdraw or whatever the 2d one is. im on bnet. when i say the worst time like when a guy will give me an unbeliveable trade it freezes.

my compute is running at 1.6ghz with a geforce 4 mx440. so its definatly capable running this addicting game.

and in window mode i never get the freeze but i cant play in window cause im always minimizing it on accident

5. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

I had a similar problem,comp freezed when playing d2,had to hit reset button.turned out,my cpu fan was dead.:hanky:So check that.

Rik

6. zirilion

zirilion IncGamers Member

does that mean your that your cpu was dead as well???
    eg all melty and goowy red hot glowing sort of thing :p
    hihi that happened to my bro he burned his pc down :D XD

7. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

it didnt..It ran for a month with a dead cpu fan,I got a new one & no problems now.Its a p4 2.4.

Few years back i ran my old faithful pentium2 400 sans a working cpu fan for about an year. :yep:

Rik

8. front243

front243 IncGamers Member

Make sure DMA is enabled for your new harddrive:

Go to Device Manager (click Start, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click Hardware tab, then click Device Manager). Click the little plus sign to expand the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Double-click Primary IDE Channel and
    click the Advanced Settings tab. Make sure the transfer mode for both
    the Device 0 and Device 1 is set to "DMA if available". Then repeat
    for Secondary IDE Channel...

edit: offcourse I shouldn't assume you use Windows XP. If not I can't help you but try to search google for setting DMA on your OS.