Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weird Battle Net Message: What Does it Mean?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by CmdrKikass, Oct 4, 2006.

1. CmdrKikass

CmdrKikass IncGamers Member

Weird Battle Net Message: What Does it Mean?

"Your connection has been temporarily restricted from this Realm. Please try to log in at another time."

What the heck does this mean?

I just completed a trade for a Sur rune from someone.

My most obvious thought is that it was a dupe, but what gives? Why can't I play?

2. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

means you got realm down possibly from joining too many games or changing chars too quickly.

re the rune: yes probably a dupe but thats not the reason you got r/d

3. CmdrKikass

Oh I've gotten Realm Down before.

I've never gotten this message before. Course, I just started playing again so, this is the new "Realm Down" text?

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Yes, this is just the new R/D text.

5. CmdrKikass

Sexy.

Time to go play with my Sur before it poofs.

Bramble anyone? :D

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

No, that's not the realm down text. It's the bnet temp ban text which is shown when you switch characters too fast or create games in a too rapid succession. Waiting for some time or (if you don't have a static IP address) a router reset will fix it.

The realm down text is "realm down" :azn: It means the realm is down :laugh: Seriously, it means that the realm is unavailable for anybody.

7. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Really? In the "old" days, whenever I would get a realm down message, I would log onto Open and could see all my friends still online and laughing at me.

8. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Actually this is how blizzard is dealing with bots. Anytime you do anything bliz interprets as bot-like activity (quickly creating games, accessing characters, spamming chat, even certain repetitive in game actions) can get you such a "temp" IP ban. It's important to take a break when such a ban occurs, since attempting to log back in "too quickly" can drastically extend the ban. 15 minutes from the initial ban should always be sufficient.

9. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

I've been meaning to ask if trying to login again really does lengthen the ban. Seems like a read on the bnet forums that they suggested you try and log in every hour until you get through. I got a temp ban for mfing key running too fast a coupld of weeks ago and tried like mad to get back on evey so often (12 hours till I was back up). Then a couple nights ago I temp banned from muling (weak!!). I went to bed and tried in the morning 9 hours later (still down). But right after 12 hours I was back up. Don't know what programmer at Bnet hates me, though, to give me 12 hour bans ^_^
    It seems like it'd be really sadistic to penalize people for just trying to get back online and play some more. Has anyone done any research on this?

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm not sure, of course, but I think a "realm down" message is produced when a "connection refused" error or a timeout occurs. In the first case, somebody or something deliberately decided not to allow a connection or some bnet component currently isn't available while in the second case, it might mean anything, although I guess the "open port xxxx in your firewall" message will appear in that case.