Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weather Manipulator Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thirty-Thirty, May 12, 2005.

1. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

Weather Manipulator Questions

Ahoy,

I'm thinking of building a weather manipulator (Tri-elemental Sorceress). Stats will look much like a Meteorb. Skills will include maxed Meteor, Frozen Orb and Thunderstorm, one into each of the usefuls, and one on each mastery. I'll put the remaining points towards maxing a synergy. I have a Meteorb, so (for variety) I'd rather my main attack was Blizzard. Shall I max Glacial Spike? Perhaps Ice Blast instead, since it will get the damage bonus from Blizzard?

More importantly, I'm thinking about her gear. Since the skills will be a bit underpowered, I reckon an Eschuta's Temper and Ormus' Robes will do a lot to help. (I have a +3 Blizzard Robe.) Are there other options? And what are the best ways of working around resists? Double diamond Moser's Circle? Kira's Guardian? As in previous posts, I'm not too rich...

Thanks in advance,
    30-30

2. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

Just about maxing Thunderstorm with only 1 point in Lightning Mastery. You could maximize your damage with those 21 points by only putting 14 into TS and then 7 into LM. You average damage would then be 400.5 as opposed to 366.5, if you don't mind recasting, as your duration would be decreased to 136 seconds from 184 seconds. The time between lightning strikes will also be increased to 1.92 from 1.64. Also, this is without +skills, with +skills these numbers would change.

3. Mordalles

Mordalles IncGamers Member

when i read this topic i thought theres an actual weather manipulator. notihng to do with a build. haha. i feel like such a noob.

4. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Weather Manipulator? In the old days the build was called the weather girl, unless you are worried about sexism, but the Sorceress is a girl.

BFD Where did you get the timer details of thunderstorm? I have often wondered if the timing has changed from v1.09 to v1.10. The numbers you have quoted would suggest they have.

Btw, you realise that 400.5 @ 1.92 seconds = 208.6 per second and 366.5 @ 1.64 seconds = 223.5 per second so over time, you get more damage with a higher level thunderstorm. It was this way in v1.09 as well.

5. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I think a weather girl maxes the 3 weather skills, blizzard, meteor and Tstorm.

With regards to Tstorm, its best to max it first to increase the no. of strikes per cast. There's a table of Tstorm data up to lvl 50 on the sorc forum.

Since you're tri-elemental, look for +skills obviously, shako, SoJ etc. Top up resists with your charms.

For synergies, I think maxing iceblast or fireball gives you a good spamming spell between timers. Iceblast will hold the monsters in place, fireball has a blast radius.

6. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

Yes, you said frozen orb, but weather manipulator uses blizzard not orb. Just FYI.

7. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

Hmm...not much experiance in SP here, but aren't tri-elemental Sorceresses fairly weak?

Anyways...

I can't really help you in the skills department, as I have never played a tri-elementalist. As for equipment however, {Diamond} {Diamond} Moser's Blessed Circle would work well, as well as Stormshield if it is available to you and you have the requisite strength. You could use {Diamond} The Ward if you're really strapped on equipment, netting you some nice resists. Kira's Guardian is good, however an {Um} Harlequin Crest would probably be better (again, if you happen to possess one). Also, a Wizardspike could instantly solve you're resist problems, though dexterity could be an issue.

8. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

If by 'weak' you mean 'cannot clear p8 Hell without breaking a sweat' then yes, they're weak. If, however, you mean 'not hell viable' then no, Archmagi are definitely Hell viable (at least up to p4), and some combinations have been found to be quite strong. The most promising combination I've come up with is CL/FO/FW with full Tal's set, and I think this is the one I'll get through Hell.

That being said, the weathergirl (Blizz/Met/TS) looks a bit on the weak side to me even by archmage standards. Do you plan on keeping to the spirit of the build and using Meteor (ie not Fireball)? I recommend finding a skill calculator to maximise your damage for whatever +skills you decide to get. I think you might find that +all skills would do you more good than an Ormus (Arkaine's Valor, CoH, upped Vipermagi). Death's Fathom would have a more drastic effect than Eschuta's I believe. Remember Snowclash belt can give you +Blizzard. Nightwing's Veil is another source of extra cold damage and +skill. You might also consider full Tal's set for good benefit to all trees. If you need a shield, remember there's Viscerataunt which has +skill and high block percentage, especially when upped.

When I get home I might try finding a good skillpoint spread. I'm thinking max Blizzard and max CM is enough to make it a viable main attack even without synergy.

9. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

I got the numbers for thunderstorm from a stickied guide in the sorceress forum.

No I never thought to calculate the actual damage per second averages. Thanks for catching that. It looks like I have some misallocated skill points on my Firewall/Tstorm sorc, oops.

10. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

That was stupid. Yes, I meant Blizzard. My bad. And I only called her a Weather Manipulator because I didn't know the catchier name of the build.

11. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Hmm, I think I've underestimated this build, it's not so weak as I thought. Try something like...

20 Meteor
    10 FM
    20 Blizzard
    10 CM
    20 TS
    04 LM

With gear like...
    Nightwing's Veil
    Death's Fathom
    CoH
    Snowclash
    Mara's
    Magefist
    2xSoJ/BK

And you'll get...
    Blizzard~ 2-3k (not including CM)
    Meteor~ 5-6K
    TS~ 1K
    Fireball~ 1-2k

And that's without charms and facets and such. Of course, getting gear like that together might not be easy for everyone. But then, IMO Archmagi shouldn't be attempted unless you have excellent equipment... unless you're the type of person who can beat back the tides of hell with a wooden leg or something.

12. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Sorceress Guide Library in the Sorceress Forum. There are a couple guides in there about Archmages. I believe one of them describes The Weather Manipulator. The author's name starts with a Z. :)