Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weaponless Tournament: restart?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JohnnyBravo, Apr 2, 2004.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

Weaponless Tournament: restart?

I ran a tournament a while back and there was limited interest in it. I was just wondering if there would be more interest now with fewer tournaments running and a few new members. I would like to restart this tournament if I can get more interest in it.

Here are the rules we played by last time. Please post if you are interested or have questions/comments on the rules.

1: You must play HC.

2: You must do full clears. You can however skip areas and return to them later.

3: You can not repeat any areas.

4: No weapons are allowed (see 11 for exceptions)

5: You may use any other equipment you see fit (see 11 for exceptions)

6: Any players setting may be used and you can change it at any time.

7: You can not mule anything onto your character.

8: You can choose your class and may assign stat and skill points as you see fit. (see 11 for exceptions)

9: You may use any merc at any time in any way you see fit, but they must go weaponless also.

10: You can not esc/save & exit to avoid death

11: Exceptions

A: The line of thrown potions may be used.

B: If you are playing assassin and using the kick line of skills you may not
    use boots.

C: Charms and jewels are allowed, and recommended, to increase your damage.

D: Skills will be limited in the following ways:

Amazon: None

Assassin: Trap Tree is not allowed

Barbarian: Warcry is not to be use to intentionally kill.

Druid: Elemental Tree is not allowed. Cyclone Armor is allowed. The Druid and Necromancer will be limited to only one minion cast at a time. (You can put points in and use all of them, but only have one cast)

Paladin: Holy Shock, Holy Fire, Blessed Hammer, Fist of the Heavens and Smite is not allowed. Holy Freeze should not be used to kill.

Necromancer: See Druid. Poison Dagger bug may be used. (Using Poison Dagger without a dagger gives you the AR bonus of Poison Dagger) Corpse and Poison Explosion, Teeth one point is allowed. Bone Spear and Spirit and Poison Nova are not allowed.

Sorceress: Are limited to Warmth, Enchant, Fire Mastery, Static Field, Teleport, Frost Nova and the line of cold armors. One point in telekinesis is allowed as a prerequisite. Static field can not be used until NM except against Act bosses (Cow King included), Izual, Hephasto, Nihlathak and The Ancients and Frost Nova should not be used to kill.

E: All prerequisite are allowed one point only and, of course, is not allowed to be used.

12: If your character dies within the first act you may restart your character or begin a new character. This can only be used once.

2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I am still in this, I hope. It´s just that I am involved in so many tournaments that Isorion the Necromancer is still in Kurast Docks. But I have not given up on him. No way! I really want to see how far a reflective damage Golemancer can make it in 1.10.

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Q: Does this mean "wandless" as well? Since, technically, a wand IS a weapon.

4. JohnnyBravo

Class-Specific items may be used only if they are not weapons. They can give you plus to restricted or banned skills. Restricted skills can be used with plus from equipment however, of course, banned skills can never be used.

5. GooberGrape

I'm interested in joining. This sounds HARD, so I've got a few more Q's.

Q: The assassin martial arts line involves a TON of damage dealing, pseudo-sorceress stuff. Is that legal?

Q: The druid has Rabies and Fiery Paws or whatever to deal damage. Also legal?

Q: Say I get a big pile of +x to Corpse Explosion, a restricted skill. I can then use it as a main skill, provided I only put 1 base point into it?

I'm totally stoked, just want to clarify before I spend all my free time on an illegal build.

GG

6. JohnnyBravo

GG: Per the rules on the first run the answer to the first two questions would be yes. Remember that even thought you are in were form your weapon damage is added to your damage. Weapons being illegal will lower your damage somewhat. I don't think I will restrict any more skills. It depends on how much interest I can get.

As for your third question the old rules says that you can, but this might change depending on how many points you can add to this or any restricted skill. I don't know how many can be added. I might have to put a cap on plus skills on restricted skills.

Everyone else: I am still confused on the lack of interest in this tournemant. I though it was a good idea and there are still plenty of skills that add to damage. Yes it may be hard but atleast two characters in the last run made it to NM. Is there any resrtictions/bans that you think I should do away with? I made it so that all classes need to use thier bare fist and pretty balanced. IMO.

7. GooberGrape

Hefty the Necromancer is born!

In response to your query, I think more people would play if you allowed non-weapon damage, such as Shield or Boot damage. It's not really an amazing amount of damage, but it becomes a feasible strategy. Keep in mind that once you take away the Grand Scepter of +3 everything, you have nerfed most of the Paladin's Smite-o-matic power. I like everything else about the rules.

Having said that, I'm going Iron Maiden/Blood Golem. Wish me luck.

GG

8. GooberGrape

Hefty is now level 14 at the Dark Wood WP. Currently using Clay Golem and Amp Damage since Normal monsters don't deal enough damage to IM themselves to death on /players 8.

Going weaponless isn't so bad, it's not much different from a regular Golemancer. Getting those first few levels is tough, after that you don't even notice. I think a lot of builds are viable once you get to level X and start pumping your main skill...Enchantress, Martial Artist, Werebear/Werewolf, Conversion/Thorns Pally, even a maxed Valk zon would be awesome...

I hope more people join up. It's hard, but very rewarding.

GG

9. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

My golemancer is waiting in Kurast Docks for your golemancer. Then we can have a tandem race and catch that elusive druid Almis... :D I´m going Iron Maiden + Iron Golem, with Clay and Fire as emergency backup. I was pleasantly surprised how useful a weaponless Prayer merc with a Fiery Circlet is and have decided to keep him until NM act 3.

10. Online

Online IncGamers Member

JohnyBravo , can you post standings update ? Just wanna know how far you guys got.. And that name Almis reminds me something.... Looks like i have a friend named Almantas...

11. kramph

kramph IncGamers Member

I think it would be loads of fun to try to smite your way through the game. It would be interesting to see if it is feasible. :scratch:

12. SuperSavage

SuperSavage IncGamers Member

The problem right now is that, there is the Skillz Tournament, Team Battles Tournament, SCL, HCL, Fashion Plates Tournament, and a few people in the 3 way dance. So I think you should wait on this. I will definently play in this, but too busy with my Tournament and HCL. I can play HCL and one thing at a time. :thumbsup:

13. JohnnyBravo

In my defense I was only trying to see if I can gather up more interest than last time.

@Online: I am at work ATM, but when I get home I will post an standings of the last run.

@Goobergrape: I agree that there are many builds that one can use and not have a weapon. My character (Enchantress) made it easily into NM.

@Kramph: The Smite skill is not allowed. Although it is a viable build.

There will be no time limit on this tourney or entrance period. Join when you can and play till you die. This is not a race!

14. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

ill get around to starting sometime today i hope (think) i plan on making an enchantress, which seems to be the most viable, as at 20/20/20 warmth firemastery enchant it adds something like 2000 fire damage and godly AR

15. JohnnyBravo

I just had a thought. So I went to the old weaponless tourney and copied the last update. Here is where everyone got the last time around. There were a few MIA's because their character was not being updated.

Indemaijinj
    ChickenofPower
    PowerPoultry - Paladin - Lvl 15 - Act 1 N - Dark Woods - MIA

jiansonz
    Isorion - Necromancer - Lvl 28 - Act 3 N – Kurast Docks

JohnnyBravo
    Mika - Sorceress - Lvl 18+ - Act 1 N - Catacombs – RIP (LE Shaman pack)
    Mia – Sorceress – Lvl 45 – Act 1 NM – Stony Field - RIP (2 Extra Fast Boss packs)

DuesNox
    Drunken boxer - Barbarian - Lvl 14 - Act 1 N – Dark Woods - MIA

Kickflipper - Assasin - Lvl 18 - Act 1 N - Barracks - RIP (Extra Fast Ghost Pack)

AlterEgo
    Tyson II - Barbarian - Lvl 27 - Act 3 N - Flayer Jungle

K_brax
    Spikester - Paladin - MIA

Dinnin Darkblade
    Ashyana - Assasin - lvl 12+ - Act 1 N - Forgotten Tower - MIA (Accidental Delete)

Lemon
    Almis - Druid - lvl 60 - Act 4 NM – Outter Steppes

16. GooberGrape

Hefty the Necromancer is now level 17 at the Act 1 Jail WP.

So far, so good. Let's see if I can best Andariel, or if I end up taking my mulligan! RL is cutting into my playtime, but I haven't lost hope yet. Weaponless is TOUGH. Finally, a tourney that rewards player skill instead of item/build strength. I love it!

GG

17. JohnnyBravo

GG: Here is a hint. The thrown potions help a lot. especially the posion ones.

I am still inteested in running this tourney if anyone is interested. By the looks of it the other tourneys are running down. If you are intersted please post your characters name, build and go play. Good luck eveyone.

P.S. I plan to redo the standings. Anyone that wants to use there old character in the last run can. Or you can restart the character or make a new one.

18. DevontheGnomey

DevontheGnomey IncGamers Member

i could take the easy route as necromancer but i will go assassin and join up, no name chosen yet

19. JohnnyBravo

I chose assasin as well. I plan to center around Martial Arts and Shadow Warrior. with an empasis on Tiger Strike and Dragon Tail. Her name (now don't flame me) agonyofdefeat. :lol:

She has so far made it up to the Cold Plains. She still needs to do the cave, but Blood Raven has been defeated.... :lol:

It was been reletively easy so far. The only problem is I run out of mana very quickly... I have half of my inventory filled up with mana potions.

It's time for bed now... we'll see what tomorrow has in store for me.

20. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Ok, I was in the mood to take Tyson back out yesyterday, so I guess I'm back in :)

He managed to complete the rest of the act over a couple sessions. Players3 all the way, except Mephisto. No real serious problems in the Bazaar levels. His cold mage merc is doing an amazing job - far better than I expected. In normal, cold damage is excellent. Tyson tanks, and his sidekick blasts from afar.

The various temples were fun, and Travincal & the Council were quickly checked off. The Durance was no problem, and even Bremm didn't offer too much resistance. Mephy was a challenge. He's rather tough to punch to death! But as long as Tyson tanked properly, his merc just kept pummeling Meph from a distance. So on to Act4.

This is my second go at a punch-barb. The first was in a 1.09 tourney, where he was not allowed a merc. He was killed by the Council in A3, so this is all new territory for me!

Tyson II - Punch Barb - lvl29 - A4