Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weapon Socketing 1.13

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by FaintSmile, Oct 18, 2010.

1. FaintSmile

FaintSmile Diabloii.Net Member

Weapon Socketing 1.13

well, I'm trying to make Call to arms in SP (d2 lod 1.13c), well I read some Thread here suggesting "Crystal Sword" or "Flail" could be an option. Anyway I try to socket those item to Larzuk (backup my .d2) so I can do it over and over again however the maximum socket I get for those are only 3.

So, is there 1h weapon available for CtA ?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. Shaigon

Shaigon Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Weapon Socketing 1.13

Crystal sword and flail are the best options generally, because of low requirements and easy resale (although that doesn't matter in SP).

The reason it's only getting 3 sockets is you likely found it somewhere early in the game where 5 sockets is not yet available in that weapon type. For example a crystal sword found in A2 normal will not get max amount of sockets because of the item level.

Remember Larzuk will always give max number of sockets to white items, so you if you find a white crystal sword in hell don't get him to socket it, as it will end up with 6 sockets. I believe 5 is max for a Flail so if you found a white flail that would be ok.

3. FaintSmile

yeah! that's what happened when your not playing d2 for the last 3 years.... you forgot tiny details....

anyway...

:thankyou:

4. enginekid

enginekid Diabloii.Net Member

you can make a runeword in a "white" item?

5. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

You can have larzuk put sockets in a white item. Then you make the runeword.

I recently made CtA. I pored over my stash of items trying to decide what to make it in, whether style points were worth the cost of a socket quest.... I eventually made it in a superior crystal sword that already had 5 sockets. A few days later I found an ethereal cs with 5 sockets. :dizzy:

6. enginekid

enginekid Diabloii.Net Member

i read that runewords only work in grey weapons and armor.

read these from the wiki. They both say only GREY items will work:

To Make a Runeword (http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Runewords)

Items used for Runewords must be grey text items, normal, exceptional, or Elite. Low Quality, Superior, and Ethereal can be used, but you can not use magical, Rare, Set, Crafted, or Unique items, even if they have the correct number of sockets.
    The item must be of the correct type.
    The item must have exactly the correct number of sockets -- no more.
    You must socket the Runes in the correct order.

How do I make a RuneWord? (http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Rune_FAQ)

To make a runeword, you must be sure you follow all of these steps exactly:
    The item must be a low quality, normal, or superior normal item. The name should be in grey. You can not use Set, Unique, Rare, or Magical items, even if they have the correct number of sockets!
    The item must be of the correct type. If the recipe says "swords only" it means it! Maces, axes, etc won't work.
    The item must have exactly the correct number of sockets. This means no more and no less than the number of Runes. You can't put a three-socket RuneWord into a 5 socket item, it won't work, you'll just get the bonuses from the individual Runes.
    You must insert the Runes in the correct sequence.
    You must use a recipe that works for the realm, ladder, or single player mode, depending on which you are playing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, well....

white = plain, no sockets, no magic modifiers (but it can have "superior" enhanced damage or durability)
    grey = has sockets OR is ethereal, but has no other modifiers (aside from superior)
    blue/yellow/gold/orange = magical

You can only make runewords in non-magical items with sockets; such an item will also have a grey colored name, but not all grey named items have sockets. You can take a white named item and convert it to grey named by putting sockets in it (either by Larzuk or by the h-cube).

Edit: Notice how the info you cited gives no information on how to acquire grey named items. You can make them from white named items.

BTW: In most of the subforums, it's frowned upon to make two consecutive posts. You can edit the first post rather than making a new one.

8. Shaigon

Shaigon Diabloii.Net Member

White item + socket quest = grey item.

9. Knarlfist

Knarlfist Diabloii.Net Member

In plainer English:

After Larzuk pounds some sockets in your White item, it turns Grey because it now has sockets!

Now it is available for a runeword, just as according to the rules you listed.

10. FaintSmile

anyway, I read about the runewords "Dream" and its for Helm and shield... question, do I get lvl 30 Holy shock aura (15 on helm and 15 in shield)?

11. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones Diabloii.Net Member

Yes. 10 chars