Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

weapon choices for my avenger...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by mamacheddar, Feb 12, 2004.

1. mamacheddar

mamacheddar IncGamers Member

weapon choices for my avenger...

i built my first ever pally, lvl 73 right now.

if i remember correctly, these are my skill points so far(including bonuses from gear):
    vengeance lvl 23
    holy shield lvl 28
    conviction lvl 26
    fire resist lvl 12
    cold resist lvl 12
    lightning resist lvl 12

life is about 1200, defense with holy shield is like 9300. fire and lightning resists are barely decent in hell(>40) but cold is weak(around 12), and poison is just pathetic(-15).

right now im using:

rockstopper helm
    guardian angel
    atlantean
    herald of zakarum
    ravenfrost
    bul kathos wedding band
    rare +skills ammy
    ik belt
    infernostride boots
    magnus's gloves

i totally suck in hell, i know the atlantean is most of my problem when it comes to killing, so im trying to figure out what i should try to trade for as my ultimate avenger weapon.

im going for pure killing ability, i dont plan to mf with this character, i just want to be able to kick *** basically. any suggestions for a weapon? would a schaeffers be good? redeemer? whats the top 3 weapons in your guys opinion? thanks.

2. gzvernon

gzvernon IncGamers Member

1. eth BOTD zerker axe

2. eth razors edge with zod

3. Cresent moon phase blade or zerker axe (phase has more speed)

First if you are very rich,cresent moon if you can swing it would be awesome with the -resistance to liting & static field triggering.

3. Any1

Any1 Banned

The favorite Avenger weapon from 1.09 is still very good, Baranar's Star. It should be easy to find as well. Here are the stats and some other choices:

B'star: 144 Avg Phy; 1-200 Fire; 1-200 Lightning; 1-200 Cold Damage
    Nord's Tenderizer: 144-167 Avg Phy; 205-455 Cold
    Demon Limb: 166-148 Avg Phy; 222-333 Fire
    Gimmershred: 107-127 Avg Phy; 218-483 Fire; 29-501 Lightning;176-397 Cold
    Demon's Arch: 124-149 Avg Phy; 232-323 Fire; 23-333 Lightning
    Djinn Slayer: 104-122 Avg Phy; 250-500 Fire

All these weapons are unique elites but are fairly easy to find and trade. Of the runewords an easy one (as gzvernon said) is Crescent Moon (Shael + Um + Tir).

4. gzvernon

why is the maximum damage lower than the minimum damage?

5. Any1

Any1 Banned

It's a typo, 126-148.

6. pellax

pellax IncGamers Member

Crescent Moon, while overall is a good choice, the -33 to lit aint helpful since conviction does so much more overall.. and for all 3 elements as well as makes ar a non issue.. but the static can be good soo..

peace

7. Antiochous_3

Antiochous_3 IncGamers Member

Personally, i think Botd is really over rated. It has the best dmg your going to find and a few other good stats, but is completely devoid of any unique mods that make other items and runewords great.

I have tried many different weps with my Avenger, including A eth botd zerker, Doom zerker and many others, but so far my favorite has been a Beast Zerker. The lvl 9 fanant is awsome and over all its just a great wep. Also the Only runes that are difficult to get are Ber and Mal and i have found those to be much easier to get than a zod and vex.

No matter what u choose. Best of luck!

Anti

8. gerds77

gerds77 IncGamers Member

If your playing on the ladder try upgrading the Atlantean. I have a level 83 avenger in hell and he is able to drop just about everything with 5 hits or so. He does about 1500-2100 damage per swing with vengance.

I recently swapped out my defiance merc for a holy freeze merc and it has made everthing soo much easier. The subtle slow down is most welcome, especially if you get surrounded.

Hope this helps.

9. gzvernon

thats it for damage on a lv 83 avenger?
    my lv 75 avenger has 2100-2800 damage with nord's tenderizer,he definitly needs a better weapon that that to be in hell.

10. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

The best weapon is a Beast Beserker Axe, hands down.

If you get this weapon, grab highlords amulet, guillame's face and goreriders.
    -186% ED
    -70% CB
    -63% DS
    -35% OW
    -Prevent Monster Heal
    -8 frame attack

The CB will help you take down act bosses even faster.
    The ED and DS will help you leech back mana easily.
    The OW isn't really needed.
    Prevent Monster Heal is always nice.
    8 frame attack - the fastest possible.

With no more IAS needed, you'll have your sockets open to max your resists and you have your gloves open for soul drainer, giving you massive mana leech (and life leech), or dracul's grasp for life tap - which works with elemental damage on vengeance, INSANE.

11. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

What would a good weapon to make beast out of? Try to find a scepter with plus paly skills? or just a fast speed weapon?
    Also, what do you guys think is the best out of redeemer, Astreon's Iron Ward, Schaefer's, and Razor?

12. Malachi

Malachi Banned

Atlantean is one of those weapons that could be nice for upgrade as well, assuming you play ladder. It can have 200-250% ed and that makes it a nice cruel mythical after upgrade with some +skills.

13. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Nubin, i wouldn´t try to get a pally scepter with +skills because that would make the runeword insanely high priced to repair... better go with the berzerker axe, it has range 3, very good 1H dmg and is quite fast...

14. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

Would that be the only reason why not to get the + skills scepter? Or is it just better to get a berserker?

15. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Like he said, better range, same speed, lower repair costs, higher damage. If you want to get 40% off-weapon IAS, its better to go with an Ettin Axe for even better damage (albeit slightly smaller range).

I don't see any reason to go with a +skills cadeceus (only scepter that can get 5 sockets). It doesn't improve anything, except for a few +skills which boosts the repair cost astronomically.

16. mamacheddar

thanks for all the suggestions. i just got a baranars star really cheap, so im using that right now and its already a very big improvement over the atlantean(cant upgrade it, im not on ladder). ill check out the beast runeword, hopefully i can manage to put one together or trade for it.

17. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

FYI, if the caduceus has +salvation or +redemption, it can save you some points and still give you access to those skills. Or, if you are insanely lucky, get one with +3 Veng/+3 Conv/+3 Holy Shield. As for the repair, I do not regard an Ort rune once a while as "astronomical."

18. lucrativelyrics

lucrativelyrics IncGamers Member

i have a lvl 73 avenger as well , and although i dont have a zak i use horizons . with the natural speed and slow , has really helped give me a edge.... i havent died once from act 1 to 4 :)

19. Artegal

Artegal IncGamers Member

Best weapon for Beast

I agree that Beast is a great weapon. Since there appears to be a lot of concern over repair prices, consider this: DURABILITY. I agree that a pally scepter with +skills will cost a shitload more than a zerker. One problem with axes that aren't used for BotD (Indestructable) is their shitty durability. I found out the hard way when I used a zerker to make Famine. Any pally with a high attack rate (especially zealots) will wear out a weapon with low durability in less than 5 minutes (literally). So if you use a zerker axe to make your Beast, the repair costs may be less per repair, but you'll have to repair far more often! Zerker axe (26 durability) vs. Caduceus scepter (70 durability). I would personally go with the scepter in order to have to avoid tping back every few minutes for repairs...and I'll bet that per unit of time it would be more expensive to maintain a zerker axe than it would be to maintain a caduceus scepter. Just my thoughts.

20. mamacheddar

i dont really mind repair costs, worst comes to worst i just hit a baal run or empty cows game and grab and sell a couple of items for 35000 each and i have a ton of gold again.