Weapon Block: Can we settle this please

Oniko

Diabloii.Net Member
Weapon Block: Can we settle this please

Howdy,

I read through the FAQ, and even after playing a bit of PvM, I'd still like to know for sure:

Does WB activate when

A) Walking
B) Running
C) Shift-Attacking
D) Attacking

Are there any differences between the way WB operates PvP and PvM

'22'Souljah

Diabloii.Net Member
A)no
B)no
C)yes
D)yes
one of the best ways to see if it works while running is have your ww barb friend whirlwind and you run directly through his path
out of all the times i have done that it didn't blokc once

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
Oniko said:
Howdy,

I read through the FAQ, and even after playing a bit of PvM, I'd still like to know for sure:

Does WB activate when

A) Walking
B) Running
C) Shift-Attacking
D) Attacking

Are there any differences between the way WB operates PvP and PvM
For the sake of completeness, WB also works standing and WWing. (Technically much the same thing as far as the game is concerned.)

Oniko

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks so much for clearing that up!

Hrm, I don't see this listed in the FAQ. Perhaps it should be added.

So if I get you correctly:

Weapon Block only operates when either standing still, or attacking (including shift-attacking). This includes trap-laying and Blade Fury.

When walking or running, WB will not activate.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
When running the block chance is divided by three, capped at 25%. For all other animations you block at the listed percentage.

'22'Souljah

Diabloii.Net Member
RTB said:
When running the block chance is divided by three, capped at 25%. For all other animations you block at the listed percentage.
that's if they use a shield and have 75% blokc

Speederländer

Diabloii.Net Member
HaLoPhReAk said:
holy crap...like 170 views in only 1 day... wow...
The title of this thread is misleading. The issue of claw block blocking while moving was settled early in the first ladder season. The only thing that has changed is that many of the people who locked down the answers are not around and new people are always amazed and don't believe that CB doesn't work while running. Every week someone seems to ask the question somewhere and, after a while, people start to think that the issue isn't actually "settled" after all. People claim to have "blocked while running" and there is nothing you can do to convince them otherwise. These same people can never muster the analysis to counter everything that was done previously. A lot of knowledgeable people spent a lot of time running claw block experiments. I don't know how much of that original work ended up in the FAQ or in stickies. Maybe some, maybe all, maybe just the final results. But the issue isn't an open one in any event.

Oniko

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason I titled my post the way I did is because nowhere in the FAQ is this issue explained. (Unless I missed it, but I'm a pretty thorough reader).

Also, Speederlander, if you have a few spare moments and if you are on USEast, I would appreciate it if you could message me (account *ghop). I'm on my 2nd build of a kicksin, and would be grateful for a bit of training with you.

Thank you.

Speederländer said:
The title of this thread is misleading. The issue of claw block blocking while moving was settled early in the first ladder season. The only thing that has changed is that many of the people who locked down the answers are not around and new people are always amazed and don't believe that CB doesn't work while running. Every week someone seems to ask the question somewhere and, after a while, people start to think that the issue isn't actually "settled" after all. People claim to have "blocked while running" and there is nothing you can do to convince them otherwise. These same people can never muster the analysis to counter everything that was done previously. A lot of knowledgeable people spent a lot of time running claw block experiments. I don't know how much of that original work ended up in the FAQ or in stickies. Maybe some, maybe all, maybe just the final results. But the issue isn't an open one in any event.

Speederländer

Diabloii.Net Member
Oniko said:
The reason I titled my post the way I did is because nowhere in the FAQ is this issue explained. (Unless I missed it, but I'm a pretty thorough reader).

Also, Speederlander, if you have a few spare moments and if you are on USEast, I would appreciate it if you could message me (account *ghop). I'm on my 2nd build of a kicksin, and would be grateful for a bit of training with you.

Thank you.
I'm currently on West ladder. Sorry. If you pull a west ladder char I can still answer questions though.

Oniko

Diabloii.Net Member
Speederländer said:
I'm currently on West ladder. Sorry. If you pull a west ladder char I can still answer questions though.
Very well -- I can do that. Are you on right now?

ilkori

Diabloii.Net Member
Stickied at the top of this page is the FAQ Update thread. You might want to look into it. It contains things which are part of the FAQ, but have not been included yet. If it contradicts the FAQ, then go with the Update thread.

The only appearance of blocking when moving is when turning. For some reason, the game seems to stop you for a frame when doing turns. This is only conjecture on my part - the facts are that it appears to block, makes an animation or "tink" sound when running (usually in circles). That, or you are lagging (think you are moving, but actually are not).