Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weapon advice for defiance merc

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Wolv, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Weapon advice for defiance merc

I've been using either Ariochs or Bonehew...thoughts on which is better? Thoughts on better weaps?

Also, duriels shell and crown of thieves seems to work well for armor. Guillames is nice to boost strength to use weaps, plus critical and crushing blow. Any thoughts on better setups?

2. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I'd say Reaper's toll is even better (good lifesteal!). The chance to cast decrepify is really high (33% I think), and that curse slows the enemies as well as reduces their physical resist. Immune to physical-enemies aren't immune anymore either. Try to get an ethereal one.
    My mercs use Reaper's, upgraded Duriel's and Tals mask (for the resist on lower levels). But when the merc reaches level 75-80 or something I think Crown of thieves, which you mentioned, is a better choice.

3. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Yeah good weapon!
    Or an Eth Tomb Reaver, bit more expensive though.

4. Valind

Valind IncGamers Member

Nope, the best weapon for a Defiance Merc is an Ethereal DOOM Cryptic Axe.

It's hard to beat having BOTH Holy Freeze and Defiance active at the SAME time!

5. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

PFFFT

My Defiance merc use:
    3.5-3.6k def armor
    Veil of Steel resists str etc to use armor so i have max resists etc
    Ethereal Botd War pike

O_O

ITs awesome.....

Gives my paladin about 16k def
    Gives my merc about 16k def

We never die....

Merc does 14k damage

I do about 10k damage Hammers

And we all happy ^_^

6. Daemonaz

Too bad that most people on ladder won't ever be able to afford the runes in there tho.

7. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

If you look at the rune chart/table you will notice that Cham and Ber runes are just bellow the top.

Ber gives 20% Chance of Crushing Blow on weapons
    Cham gives Cannot Be Frozen on Armor

Blizzard has valued these runes in the right way. And they surely deserve the position they are now. Why? IMO Efficiency is the key.

If you have a mercenary that deals average damage 1.5k is he of any help if he is frozen. Many monsters in hell deal cold damage or have additional freeze attack/hit. So in many occasions you will see your mercenary in a blue mode (frozen), helpless to do anything much. In these situations how much damage could he deliver? He can barely approach your enemy and do few hits. In the meanwhile he has a good chance of being hit heavily. In 1.10 all monsters in Hell are much faster and therefore have an initiative to hit him first and stun him (he goes in a fast hit recovery mode) with a good chance that he will be stun locked and die slowly with no chance of hitting back and use his life stealing modifiers. You will see him melting slowly even though he has 10k defense.

Efficiency can be tested only on the hardest/toughest monster in the game. And that’s of course Baal. Equip your merc with 200k damage/defense (as it is suggested from above) and then give him what I suggest to you:

Hone Sundan (45% Chance of Crushing Blow, put at least 2 sheal runes, if you have Ber that will be perfect as a third rune)
    Duriel’s Shell (Cannot Be Frozen, ok resistance and life and has average defense)
    Blackhorn’s face (Prevent monster heal, slows target 20%, great lightning resistance/absorption)

Let’s measure on a clock who will take him down more quickly. Solo one on one. You will be surprised :surprise: . Though crushing blow is not that much good when monsters life goes bellow ~15% from his starting HP (this is the area were those uber/godly mercenaries with 200k damage are kings). Note that life stealing is not of any help in hell because in 1.10 you have 1/3 penalty/reduction, so you need a lot of life stealing and great physical damage to deal to be worth of having it. All of my suggested equipment is exceptional and they are not to hard to find, low price on trading and you can start to equip your mercenaries from level 37-41 (low level requirement).

Sorry for any spell mistakes, English is not my mother language :howdy:

8. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Guess I shoulda specified non-runeword weaps, as I'll never be able to afford runewords....

Sounds like Reaper's Toll and Tomb Reaver are the way to go.....

9. Daemonaz

Wolv,

Don't forget about the Bonehew. It's by far the cheapest of the three weapons and a very good one to use until you find or can afford a Reaper's Toll or Tomb Reaver. Especially an Eth Bonehew is nice.

I don't agree with this. Lifesteal certainly helps your merc, you just need lots. My hireling uses an Eth Bonehew with 2 Amns and an etherial Crown of Thieves and he steals some seriously life I can tell you that.

10. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Agreed. In fact bonehew is what my merc uses right now. The prevent monster heal skill is an added bonus.

Good call on the 2x amn....