Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weapon advice for charger in Hell

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nesjan, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Nesjan

Nesjan Diabloii.Net Member

I just completed Nightmare players 8 with my Charger build Pally, i am level 81 and i am moving in to Hell now with my weapon a big 2 handed Bonehew Ogre Axe. My primary Aura is Salvation for resistances so i do not have any boost to my attack other than the charge bonus. I currently due 1920-9762 DMG. The kicker is i have not socketted it yet! Im just wondering what some would suggest. I have some Eth runes for -25% enemy defense, through my travels i have also collected some jewels one 39% enhanced damage, one 32% ED with 2-10 Cold, one 1-75 Light
    ning, and one 5-13 Cold. Should i socket with 2 of what i currently have? or should i travel Hell looking for better? *NOTE*- i do not have any high level runes ie the ones that due crushing blow and deadly strike etc would be great i know, but playing legit single player they are extremely rare~!

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Too bad, this could have been a good opportunity to make the awesome ChamBer "runeword".

I would go for the %ed jewels. Charge already adds lots of AR, so -%def might have less of an effect than expected. If you have the choice, I suggest to use %ed jewels with a suffix which you cannot get that easily from charms and other gear. Elemental damage can come from charms as well and you usually need just a bit cold and poison damage. Versus PIs, I would use Gimmershreds or whatever deals a lot of elemental or magical damage while having a low dex req, together with zeal. You just need it at skill level 4, for 5 attacks.

3. Nesjan

I was thinking the same thing, the two Ed Jewels will add 61% Ed with a little cold damage which is always good for chargers. My only worry is I know once you enter hell your chance to find higher level, much better items greatly increases, I dont want to get the pits and find something far superior to my current stash and have no sockets left. Thx for your input. What is this Cham+Ber runeword you speak of I cant seem to find it.

4. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

There isn’t an actual Runeword that is just Cham and Ber, but in a weapon like Bonehew with 2 sockets a Cham would give “freeze target” and the Ber would give 20% crushing blow. Ber Runes are not that easy to come by and Chams are even rarer so I couldn’t bring myself to use them for that particular weapon. They would make it an awesome weapon though.

5. OldSoldier

OldSoldier Diabloii.Net Member

I'd try to get some deadly strike. If you have a Pierre Tombale Couant you could upgrade it and socket it with your 39% ED jewel. If you want to stick with the Bonehew (a good choice BTW) I'd insert the ED jewels you have now and try to find some deadly strike elsewhere, like with a Highlord's Wrath or a Blood Helm or Guillaume's Face or Gore Rider boots. I think deadly strike with a high damage weapon with a high ED skill like Charge is more effective than crushing blow.

6. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

Why not put two Eld runes in to stay true to the name? Its bonehew after all :cool:

In my experience not even charge's huge AR bonus is good enough on its own in hell so the Eth runes sounds like a very sensible option, freeing up other item slots from the need to provide as much attack rating. It will also be great to let you use other attacks than charge if you have to, like vengeance against physically immunes.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

ChamBer was just a (rune)word play, as chamber is an actual word. Another is HelLo. Both would be rather good socketings, although a bit of a waste when used in a Bonehew.

8. Nesjan

Thanks for all your input, quick question does anyone know or have an opinion where the Bonehew ranks in the best 2 handed weapons, is it in the top 5, top 10, 10-20 or further down? Im almost positive this will not be my end game weapon but just wondering

9. Nesjan

Thanks for all your input, quick question does anyone know or have an opinion where the Bonehew ranks in the best 2 handed weapons, is it in the top 5, top 10, 10-20 or further down? Im almost positive this will not be my end game weapon but just wondering

10. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

Probably in the 10 to 20 range. It is definitely serviceable, the two sockets and inherent ias plus huge base damage are all positive factors. Most people just fill the sockets with Shaels or Amns for attack speed and life leach, respectively.

For Physical Immunes that are Undead, change your aura to Sanctuary. This will set their physical resistance to 0.