Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

We were Soldiers

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DougTheHead2, May 3, 2005.

1. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

We were Soldiers

Another MP group! Basically, I really enjoyed role-playing my gunslinging paladin in 1.09, but only got to about level 20-ish as I quit soon after. He used lots of elemental charms and had a deputy rogue to assist him, and he filled his enemies with much lead-tipped bolts.

So, what I would like to do is get a group together who want to roleplay a company of soldiers going through this D2 wasteland. Builds would be limited to using only Crossbows and no mercs, and would likely be filled with paladins. I am unsure of other classes, but the main thing would be no summons help, or amazons (too much pwnage, its supposed to be hard!). So, a band of paladins with lots of useful auras, who can be classifed like sniper (blessed aim), heavy gunner (fanaticism), etc etc with conviction, concentrate, etc.

Anyone liking the sound of this? I am kinda flying by the seat of my pants here, as the idea hasn't fully developed in my head, but its been sitting there for too long and needs out! Who wants in the company? Right now, lets just see who wants to play/available times, and see if we can't get a working organization to get this sucker off the ground.

EDITS:

Just thinking about other classes. A good Sarge would be a barb, yelling at the men. A grenadier could easily be accomlished by an assassin with her fire bombs. A targeter could be a necro, painting targets with Amp damage.

We could have a lot of fun with this, and probably figure out how to keep close in levels/quest. When we finish, just post how far we got, and during downtime people who missed or are just lagging can MP with others Soldiers who may be a little farther but want to go back and help a comrade. Just to set a starting point for the next round of playtime would help alot to keep everyone together. Also, we don't need to set an arbitrary number of participants, just whoever can make it whenever we play so as to try and keep our player numbers high. Too many players is a good thing!

A last edit: My post a couple down originates the idea of setting objectives for a time period, that way we can have multiple time zones/members able to be a part of our army. Read there for more detail.

2. Nibiru-

Nibiru- IncGamers Member

I am so in. I like to take a break from the normal old D2 style and do something crazy with the game. Just tell me when the games will be played.

my email is [email protected], go ahead and add me to msn if you have it

3. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Sounds like a really neat idea. I might join in if times / timezones work out for me.

Though there can only ever be one 'sarge' in the group. :)

4. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Twinky? No twinky?

If twinky I'm in, depends on the play time, play a demon machine enchantess as heavy artillary, fragile, exploading long ranged projectile, sounds right. :D

5. DougTheHead2

Definitely twinky. Gots to get them elemental damage charms on so I see the enemies blood go out in decent sized spurts.

Time Zones: I think, maybe we'll just set weeky objectives, I like how those have been working. Whenever anyone feels like hosting a game, everyone who hasn't made it there yet can join up and level/quest up to where we will meet at. Just having one official time/group doesn't sound like it has much a chance of success, and this way we would get lots of games/members to join up and feel part of the group.

6. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

I may be overcommitting myself, but i think I'll join in on this one. Demon machines for everyone!

I'll play a venom sin, just so I can get some use out of my 11 Shadow skillers.

7. DougTheHead2

I don't think we'll set the pace to fast, just to make sure we can all keep up. I am really liking the objectives idea. For example, on Sunday, I put out a new mission: get through the first two acts of Normal in one standard week. Soldiers can host throughout the week, getting levels and characters up to the point where they can receive a new mission. At first, it would be easy, but I imagine saying "obtain the Khalim relics" in Hell taking a week for everyone to get the time/MP to accomplish it.

8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I think a set time would be better though, since it's unlikely even with 8 people when one wants to host, others will be there.

One or two hour per week is probably good, since more time will probably juse make people not showing up. Weekend is probably better to accomdate people in different timezones.

9. DougTheHead2

Yes, a set time for a main body of our army will be in place, but the thread will be a great place for people to meet and catch up if they missed any action (hence me talking about multiple games during the week).

10. deathsguard666

deathsguard666 IncGamers Member

i'm in. i want to be a necro using the pus spitter :teeth:

11. DougTheHead2

Alright, so far we have lined up

Doug
    Nibiru
    Starving_Poet
    shermo
    NSX
    deathsguard666

That's a good start. To people teetering on the edge of joining, remember: the format makes it very easy to stay up with us, so if the prospect of being at every play time is scary, fear not! We need all the bodies our army can get.

12. Slothman

Slothman IncGamers Member

Cool idea Doug! :thumbsup:
    im very intersted yet live in australia so may not be able to make set times..
    thinking along the lines of a freezadin using a Buriza-Do Kyanon :uhhuh:

13. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

we "could" even have non-quest related missions. Kill the infamous "black hack" for example. Then there'd be a ranking system that went along with it. So many missions to be promoted to "title" (I know nothing of army ranks)

We're going to have to have the 3 paladins (conc, conviction, fanat) so if nobody takes those, I'll play one.

14. Gabriel74

Gabriel74 IncGamers Member

I won't have the time to play, but in keeping with the theme, you may want to have a 'medic' (cleric).

15. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Great Idea!

You could even let the soldiers use the same type of body armor and helmet, so they really look like an army!

Give medic's and squad leaders something different to wear so they pop out! (like Sigon's :rolleyes: )

I know that a pala with a buriza can kill in hell so don't be suprised if this could keep on going!

when u get some veterans, they can even train rookie's (imagine ur hard boiled buriza pala - veteran off many battles - leading a group of rookies to Andy to teach them how to engage from room to room!

I like to join also, however I play a lot on Bnet these days, so maybe i'll be a rookie 4 ever ;)

Anyway, cool idea!

16. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Good idea indeed. I'd like to see what a army of pally's with crossbows in the same uniform looks like.
    Oh, and the leader should wear the IK set, that'll make them stand out!
    I'd like to join, but only if i get to be a pally, because they sound like most fun.:)
    Oh, and i can host if needed. As for when you'd be playing, i think you need to set at least 1 time per week when everyone tries to play together, rather than ranodmly during the week someone offers to host, and probably not get more than 2 people join. because then some will end up playing it all MP and be fine, while others end up always having to play it in SP if they miss one of the random games.

17. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

I'm in.....

I hope I got this post in soon enough.

- Masher

Demon machine enchantress

or

Pali with Windforce + Aura

Oh yea. I can host but not on Mondays. I'm in the Scurvy HC pirate group that day

18. chicagofan51

chicagofan51 IncGamers Member

This sounds like fun, though I've never MP'd before. I have DSL, so theoretically, I could host games.

I always wanted to try a Cleric (Medic) out, but it seemed too tough to just play solo. So if you need a good medic, I'll enilist :thumbsup: . Just tell me when basic training starts.

Semper Fi

19. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Sorry guys, got to pull out. I have way to much D2 groups / tourneys / projects and college stuff to do (exams coming up, lots of revision and sucky things like that)

20. DougTheHead2

Alright, even more interested members. Fantastic! Let's start talking times. I would enjoy a Sunday play time, but am pretty open. Let's each post a general range of normally available times and see if we can hit one we are all free :yearight:.

Medic, sounds great! Windforce, against the rules (xbows only ;)).