Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

We don't have a monopoly on stupid lawsuits!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

We don't have a monopoly on stupid lawsuits!

Somehow it makes me feel better knowing that such stupidity also exists elsewhere.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1076241663623&call_pageid=968256289824&col=968705899037

2. AgentOrange

AgentOrange IncGamers Member

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Dumb ****'s.
    Hah! I bleeped that myself! *taunt forum*

3. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

"That basically affects everything she is going to be doing from now on,"

You know, it's just possible that a few of her teachers mentioned that to her prior to this point. I have trouble working up sympathy in this case.

4. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

kids don't pass..then parents file a lawsuit..hmm...

5. toader

toader Banned

A kid wants to be a teacher, yet cant pass a 10th grade literacy test.....when they are in 12TH GRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me? Go Canada!!

This is the first good thing Ive seen come from there since, damn, um...Celiene?...nah...dang. This is the first good thing ive seen come from Canada!!

I love it!!

The only thing I disagree with, which I think is probably just BS, is that once the test is taken, thats it, no second chance.

I think the test should be tiered by grade, and whatever grade the kid failed on....go back to that grade and start again. I know we would have some 23 year old high school students, but its better than having idiots teaching our childern and performing other graduate related jobs.

6. 220683

220683 IncGamers Member

I don't think it's stupid. Some people may fail miserably at writing essays, analyzing shakespearean text while excel with in other areas. A degree for early childhood education, grade 9 is plenty to teach little children. But she does need them to learn the materials, but in this case it's a bit different. Maybe she passed all other courses, she's just bad at English.

Toader what you said is incredibly inconsiderate, there are plenty of high level jobs that only require a high school level of literacy. Especially in Canada, which so many immigrants that learned their trade in their native language. All they really need is a decent level to communicate with the clients, they don't need to waste their time repeating anything.

7. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

No its not enough. I had stupid elementary teachers and it sucked.

8. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

Ah yes, the Grade 10 Literacy Test. I was in grade 11 when they implemented it, however I was part of the practice session the year prior to do a run-through before they started holding people from graduating... you know, to see if we could pass and all.

Basically, it is just a collection of readings followed by questions to see how well you can understand the material and then respond to it with some good thoughts and arguments. Essay stuff.

I kind of like it and kind of don't. It is good because it catches people who are really suffering in English and gives them ample time to rectify the problem... rather than allowing them to graduate where thier parents sue the board of education for graduating thier illiterate son (refer to the Florida case...). If you get early notification you can better fix the problem.

However, this test is directed mostly toward university-bound students, so it is much more difficult than a standard grade 10 test. This catches a lot of people off guard. This also creates a problem with people who have learning disabilities, most of which would normally go as a high as a high school diploma can no longer achieve that because of this test. Is it right?

It's timing sure is awkward. The people who study all the time pass easily, the people who sit outside the doors during lunch and smoke thier brains out don't, and the people just coasting through classes not knowing how important this time is (academically speaking) barely squeak by... or not. Regardless, this is a wakeup call to all those who aren't cramming in the books to get in gear or else they won't make it into university. The question is do all of them really want to go that far? And if they don't, is it right to prevent them from getting a high school diploma because of it?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the test is pretty much a prep test toward grade 10 students who are aiming at entering an English program at the University of Toronto.

I don't know about anyone else, but in grade 10 I sure as hell wasn't exactly studying my butt off for every test.

9. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

I think the parents should be sued for not previously making any effort to see that their kids knew what they (the parents) knew or should have known was going to be on the test. If I flunked the test that would allow me to graduate which would allow me to enter college which would allow me to maybe get off welfare and have a decent life, my parents would say, "You idiot. Now get your @$$ studying for your GED."

10. toader

toader Banned

Im glad that you agree with me. If you read my post clearer you will see that we feel the same on the matter. Escpecially the part about "only require a highschool education." If you cant pass the 10th grade literacy test in 12th grade, then you dont have a highschool education. So we agree that requiring a highschool education is the proper level of education required for many jobs.

11. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I could sit outside "smoke my brains out" and test circles around you.

12. 220683

220683 IncGamers Member

It should depend on the post secondary education program they're aiming for. Surely, repeating a grade is far too extreme to be beneficial.

13. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Im surprised they dont at least offer some sort of class that may not necessarily be taken in the highschool thats just for this test, or for the people who failed it rather.

14. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

There are always exceptions to every rule. But in my experience, the people who skip class to have a smoke, hotbox in thier beat up rusty car in the parking lot, date prostitots, and spend thier evenings breaking into cars never really faired well on the Literacy Test.

And for the record, you must be one hell of an exception, because I don't know anyone who is smart enough to run circles around anyone in any test while being dumb enough to smoke a pack a day.