Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WD skills coming soon.

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by Flux, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

WD skills coming soon.

Just an FYI, the first skill tree I'm transcribing and first gameplay write up I'm working on are the WD's. Since the WD only had the 11 skills last year, and never gets any love. There were about 35 skills in the blizzcon build, and we'll have the hover text and details on all of them.

Playing the WD was fun, but somewhat limited. the only attack skill enabled to start with was Firebomb, AKA Flaming Skull, so all early combat was just grenade chucking those things while the mongrels aka zombie dogs tanked.

As I leveled up I put a point into plague of toads, and they were fun, but much less effective than in blizzcon last year. they don't home much now, and it's hard to hit anything with more than one toad. They are extremely effective against big targets; dune dervishes were a pain for the wiz but effortless for the WD, since they're so wide that a dozen toads would splat at once.

Firebats was lower level and not enabled this time, and that was the best wd spell last year.

Lots of interesting WD passives early on. One that adds to mana for every point in vit/str/dex. Details soon to come. Check the main page, though I'll try to remember to throw up a link in here when I post.

2. Valmy

Valmy IncGamers Member

Re: WD skills coming soon.

Thx for the preview, and for taking care of WD fans. Nice, excellent job, Flux; as always.
    :thumbup:

I hope this time someone got good screens for spiders and other spells.

3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I too would like to thank you for the tidbits you've provided and for the promise of good WD times to follow!

Looking forward to the screenshots and information on new abilities! :)

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Sweet. We'll finally have something else to talk about other than how crap he looks. :wink:

So, kind of like Teeth only with the ability to have several Teeth hit the same target?

Can't say that I'm surprised. Since we can't control where our stats go Blizz needs to find a way to make up for it. Probably all classes will have skills like this.

5. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

Are you posting them here or on the Wiki? Hows it coming along? Im excited!

6. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

Can't W8!!
    Come onnnn

7. DxAxxxTyriel

DxAxxxTyriel IncGamers Member

Dem Witchdocta's be jammin! come on, release the list... ill help to edit the wiki if necessary...

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

looks like barb will be first, despite my vow here. Leord helped on transcribing the videos, and he got the Barb done first, so I'm adding comments to all the skills right now. it should be up early Thursday. I'll get the WD done by Friday, and then Wiz over the weekend.

big gameplay write ups will be next week, but you guys want the skill info first anyway, and there's a lot of gameplay commentary mixed in with it.

9. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the work you put into this list, Flux! It was worth the wait!

I must say though, I'm somewhat disappointed with all the summons that the Witch Doctor gets, not because they're bad, but because I was hoping for the WD to steer clear from the whole 'summoner' vibe.

On the other hand, I really love his spells which 'create' creatures which aren't really minions, such as Plague of Toads, Corpse Spider, Spirit Barrage, Hex (the impression I get is that the Fetish Caster only lasts 6 seconds), and Pit of Fire. These (along with the other non-summoning spells, like Mass Confusion) are what really excites me, and I hope that one will be able to make a viable WD build without needing to rely on minions to tank for you.

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

11. Hodl Pu

Hodl Pu IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure you don't need minions, necro's didn't have to summon in d2 if they didn't want to.

However, I'm pretty excited about the summoning skills!

12. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Got quite a few initial impressions after seeing the skill list. Having no hands-on experience and seeing that most of the skills aren't implemented yet, you'll have to take some of my opinions with a grain of salt.

First up the WD is pretty two dimensional. You have summons and damage spells. Some utility spells to make these two things more powerful. I was kinda hoping that we could have more variety in the way the character plays. Now you can only be a summoner (provided summons can do enough damage) or you can nuke things from afar. That's it. granted we have a lot of different spells to nuke things, but it all comes down to the same basic playstyle.

Secondly, the summons. This skill tree raises more questions than it answers. What is it with the character level on some of the skills? Why is it fixed? What will this mean in the game? Will we be able to increase that level or are they destined to stay low level? Can we have several different summon types or do we loose the Zombie Dogs if we raise a Gargantuan? How much is an army of Fetishes? Can we increase that number? Do they behave like the Zombie Dogs or more like Plague of Toads? Another part of the summons I find odd is that I don't see the transient playstyle come into play. So far we know that they seem like nothing more than glorified Clay Golems. Useful for tanking, but unable to do any damage. Sacrifice only seems to be worth it at high levels with a huge investment in all things related to summon health. There aren't any other spells that rely on killing your own minions. That would have made the Summoner playstyle much more fun. Wall of Zombies seems useless. Just one rank and no way to boost its life and damage. A completely useless skill.

Thirdly the nuking spells. They seem to be similar to each other. Sure you've got different elements. But it seems like all they do is start with a single target affecting projectile (maybe with DoT or a very low AoE) and end up at skills with a large AoE (maybe with DoT). I don't see why I would want to use the skill lower on the ladder other than as a way to get to the high level tiers.

Finally some general remarks. Seeing that have a few skills that use our attributes I hate the idea of auto-stats even more. The damage on all skills (particularly the summons) seems really low. Either this will get tweaked or we need to invest in all passives to boost a skill to useful proportions. All in all I like the type of summons we are getting but I am disappointed by the lack of depth in the skills.

If people want it I'll make a sticky with the list of all the skills we know so far.

13. Typoko

Typoko IncGamers Member

Hi!

What i'm concerned about is that eaven if you are nuker, you can pick the summoning skills from other trees. This will eventually mean that everyone is running with gargantuan or they are considered noobs. That said in this kind of system the summons should require alot of passives to be put on them and then the summons would be usefull. If not the nuker will just take the best summons and use them as tanks whilst he does the damage more safely. Atm i can't see any reasons why not to take zombie dogs and gargantuan eaven if they are only walking meatshields with no damage boost from passives. The passives need to be somewhat mandatory to eaven have 2 kind of builds in this system.