WD hating is driving me nuts...Stop Assuming!

Resented

Diabloii.Net Member
WD hating is driving me nuts...Stop Assuming!

First let me begin by saying this...

Do I like the idea of a WD over a Necromancer? NO, I have always loved necromancers.

Do I firmly believe WD's will have the ability to raise an undead army? YES, If indeed the WD has replaced the Necromancer(which I am willing to bet it has) then I am sure there will be an extensive summoning line of abilities.

What is driving me nuts is that there are tons of people assuming that the WD now has "dogs" instead of skeletons and that in general the WD will be crap compared to a Necromancer.

Here are two things from the gameplay video we know: One of the WD's lowest level summons is an undead dog(Which can be summoned multiple times), the second is that Blizzard HAS PUT MORE TIME INTO PETS. This is clearly shown from the fact the WD can buff his pets with his spells and use them as walking bombs.

Just because the WD's lowest summon are dogs does not mean there wont be zombies/skeletons/horrific undead creatures at the WDs command. My point is this, we have seen a small taste of the WD. In the small taste we were given by Blizzard there was a large emphasis on three things: Summons, Fire spells, and Curses.

Now, all the WD haters can assume Blizzard doesnt know what they are doing and the whole WD summoning line will consist of undead dogs or you can logically see that Blizzard's emphasis on pets and their abilities is greater in D3 than it was in D2. I would rather people just stop assuming, however if people are going to assume then the arrows point to the WD commanding a bigger, badder, and greater army of pets the likes of which all necro fans will drool over.

On a side note, and this is me speculating, I think they went with the Witch Doctor because a Necromancer would have been to close to what I believe will be one of the other 3 classes, an anti-paladin type death knight class.

Mad Mantis Props to you for your WD posts on summons many of those inspired me to go ahead and write this.:thumbup:

Thanks for letting me vent,
Resented

onishin

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: WD hating is driving me nuts...Stop Assuming!

In diablo IV Blizzard will create a new character called "Summoner of dead stuff" and people will say "Bring the WD back, it was a cool character!!"
I don't know what's wrong with internet people, but all they can say is bad things about everything! always complaining and insulting! just check the official forums or even better, YouTube!

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

WD is fine. I was also very sad to see the necromancer being replaced (yes it is a replacement despite what blizzard says unless they still plan to add the necro which is highly doubtful with the witch doctor's presence and concept) but eventually everyone will like him.

His armor just need to be a little more subtle imo, its seem to have come straight from a carnival.

Resented

Diabloii.Net Member

WD is fine. I was also very sad to see the necromancer being replaced (yes it is a replacement despite what blizzard says unless they still plan to add the necro which is highly doubtful with the witch doctor's presence and concept) but eventually everyone will like him.

His armor just need to be a little more subtle imo, its seem to have come straight from a carnival.
agree^

I do wish the clothing was a little toned down, then again maybe there is more realism to how he looks than I am aware.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

Indeed, there is probably a lot of lore behind all those feathers but still... subtely is good so things dont go too much over-the-top. WD is bordering it but its still very acceptable.

I just wish I could see a lv1 WD in motion, its hard to even identify him with his costume. He looks very badass and creepy without armor so Blizz just need to find a good blend between his armor and his non-armor visuals and he will be perfect!

Cant wait to augment my summons with poison and fire, he is certainly my first character.

Btw I dont think anyone here hates the WD, its just that people are very sad to see the necro go and that is the way that people express their feelings. Out of all characters in D2, the necro was the only one who wasnt tossed in some generic role as Archer/mage/warrior/knight. He had many tricks on his sleeve and his gameplay was very smooth. Eventually WD will grow on the community, just give it some time, he came in a difficult spot as replacing one of the community's favourites.

AxlStrife

Diabloii.Net Member

I believe the WD is a replacement to the Necromancer as a playable class, but I can definitely see a necro or two as an "act boss" of sorts.

I love everything about the WD and I can't wait to fire up Doogie Howser.

imjustsomeguy

Diabloii.Net Member

A summoning Necro was by far my favorite D2 char and I can almost gaurantee my first D3 char will be a WD, it's the playstyle I perfer. The skills looked great in the gameplay video. That said I'm really not into the masks and the whole tribal thing. When I'm thinking of super strong demon killing machines Witchdoctors aren't the first thing that pops into my head. The Necro was just sooo much cooler. Still, at least the WD is a dark character class. If the Necro had been replaced by a summoning druid type class I would be really disapointed. WD is no Necro but I'm sure once I get to know him better I'll come around.

Reddimus

Diabloii.Net Member

Do I like the idea of a WD over a Necromancer? NO, I have always loved necromancers.

Do I firmly believe WD's will have the ability to raise an undead army? YES, If indeed the WD has replaced the Necromancer(which I am willing to bet it has) then I am sure there will be an extensive summoning line of abilities.

What is driving me nuts is that there are tons of people assuming that the WD now has "dogs" instead of skeletons and that in general the WD will be crap compared to a Necromancer.

Here are two things from the gameplay video we know: One of the WD's lowest level summons is an undead dog(Which can be summoned multiple times), the second is that Blizzard HAS PUT MORE TIME INTO PETS. This is clearly shown from the fact the WD can buff his pets with his spells and use them as walking bombs.

Just because the WD's lowest summon are dogs does not mean there wont be zombies/skeletons/horrific undead creatures at the WDs command. My point is this, we have seen a small taste of the WD. In the small taste we were given by Blizzard there was a large emphasis on three things: Summons, Fire spells, and Curses.

Now, all the WD haters can assume Blizzard doesnt know what they are doing and the whole WD summoning line will consist of undead dogs or you can logically see that Blizzard's emphasis on pets and their abilities is greater in D3 than it was in D2. I would rather people just stop assuming, however if people are going to assume then the arrows point to the WD commanding a bigger, badder, and greater army of pets the likes of which all necro fans will drool over.

On a side note, and this is me speculating, I think they went with the Witch Doctor because a Necromancer would have been to close to what I believe will be one of the other 3 classes, an anti-paladin type death knight class.

Mad Mantis Props to you for your WD posts on summons many of those inspired me to go ahead and write this.:thumbup:

Resented
Stop assuming they're going to be better than what we actually know about them! :p

Resented

Diabloii.Net Member

Stop assuming they're going to be better than what we actually know about them! :p
Apparently you cant read, I pointed out the facts of the gameplay video and stated not to assume, but if you are going to assume, then go by the facts:

"I would rather people just stop assuming, however if people are going to assume then the arrows point to the WD commanding a bigger, badder, and greater army of pets the likes of which all necro fans will drool over."

Read before you comment next time. It will give your comments a degree of intelligence that would warrant peoples attention.

ill logic

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree that Blizz has wonderfully spent more time w/ pets. As it is, those dogs already look more useful in PvP than skeletons ever were--poison AND instabombs (which move damn fast compared to LATER summons as noted by the commentator, and req. no bodies = better against bosses)? Awesome. Before we even learn about any offensive curses, we already have a variety of choices to make. I hope that their appearance changes w/ more points in the skill, or a summoning mastery if there is one. Prima facie, those dogs don't look as cool as skeletons equipped w/ everything from flails to maces and spiked shields.

And that's the problem isn't it? Cool factor. The "Daddy, I wanna grow up and be a Necromancer some day" just isn't there for them w/ the WD. I think this first summon's look as "undead animal" spurred on comments that WD is a blend of Druid and Nec. The Diablo wiki said mixed w/ Sorc too (I don't see that but w/e).

I welcome it, because we haven't seen WDs done justice in many games as a PC. You have a scant few references in WoW and elsewhere to WD and that's it. While as a D2er I'd like to see Golems done well, esp. Fire Golems...God they sucked even when they blew..., Necros have had their time to shine already. They've been done to death. No use wishing they'd be revived along w/ Barbarians. With WD, we're sure to get that "alchemy" feel that Blizz wants to go for and avoid the poison/bone dichotomy that seems to plague Necs (get it...haha, no? ok then...). Like WW and shouts for Barbs, PnB is iconic for Necs. Hell, even alchemy ipso facto embraces a wide variety of effects and damage types...not just poison and magic bone spells. An "alchemy tree" could have curses and DD.

P.S. Hammerhead zombies are cool

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

Resented
For the record, he summons zombie dogs, not plain dogs.

Reddimus

Diabloii.Net Member

Apparently you cant read, I pointed out the facts of the gameplay video and stated not to assume, but if you are going to assume, then go by the facts:

"I would rather people just stop assuming, however if people are going to assume then the arrows point to the WD commanding a bigger, badder, and greater army of pets the likes of which all necro fans will drool over."

Read before you comment next time. It will give your comments a degree of intelligence that would warrant peoples attention.
Assumption and speculation as if yours is more important than anyone else's. Bye.

Resented

Diabloii.Net Member

Originally Posted by Resented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resented

Assumption and speculation as if yours is more important than anyone else's. Bye.
For me to speculate about the other three classes has nothing to do with my original post hence the "On a side note". I really dont care if people guess what the other 3 classes are thats not what my post is about. My post is about WD assumptions not speculation of what the last 3 classes may be. Again, you have proven you just dont read. The point of the post was for people to judge the WD by the video facts not pessimistic doomsayer assumptions and yes there is video proof on what the WD is capable of as well as the time Blizzard has put into pets. If there was video proof on what the other three classes were I wouldnt be speculating in my "side note", but there is no proof so one is left with just speculation. I think it may be over your head to grasp the idea that there is a difference between speculation given the lack of proof and choosing to assume when there is evidence to the contrary.

Logical argument is clearly not your strong point so I'd suggest sitting down before you hurt yourself. If you had just read the post thoroughly the first time you wouldnt have been made to look a dolt. I wrote this post with the hope that it will help people put the WD in perspective based on the facts not to argue with trolls.

Last edited: