Ways to make the army stronger

shijo

Diabloii.Net Member
Ways to make the army stronger

I run a summon build. Max skeletons, mastery, lots of revive, etc. I also run a might merc. What I'm trying to find is gear to make the massive hordes of stuff I have, stronger, melee-wise. I've got a pride on my merc. I've also got a wisp protector for the Heart of Wolverine (which never seems to stay alive). CTA doesn't seem very viable since I'd have to switch off my leoric wand. I run into the same problem with Oath. Any suggestions? All runewords and items are fair game, so let me know what you think would be the best set up to maximize the damage output of my army. Thanks in advance.

*shijoku

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
shijo said:
I run a summon build. Max skeletons, mastery, lots of revive, etc. I also run a might merc. What I'm trying to find is gear to make the massive hordes of stuff I have, stronger, melee-wise. I've got a pride on my merc. I've also got a wisp protector for the Heart of Wolverine (which never seems to stay alive). CTA doesn't seem very viable since I'd have to switch off my leoric wand. I run into the same problem with Oath. Any suggestions? All runewords and items are fair game, so let me know what you think would be the best set up to maximize the damage output of my army. Thanks in advance.

*shijoku
Only use your Leoric as prebuff (with a golemlord's head/ or a +3 RS +3 SM Splendor), use beast instead as your main weapon.

Use Infinity over Pride with your might merc.

Details as to why

And of course the obvious, summon gcs, use curses wisely, and all the other crap you didn't list that you probably do.

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
There is also faith which gives a higher fanatacism aura than Beast but is also more expensive. You can get a stronger HoW from the Oath runeword which is pretty cheap and the HoW will stick around if you switch out the Oath as long as you're wearing that Whisp Projector. Just make sure you're summoning the higher level HoW in the first place. I would still expect to lose it a lot in Hell difficulty though.

The only thing I would use the CTA for would be to get the extra level for a prebuff and even then it seems like a bit too much trouble if you're switching all that other crap in and out. The BO doesn't really last that long and they survive just fine with the nonenhanced life.

The only other thing you can do is summon your skeletons with as many +skills as possible. When you switch back to your other items you may lose some but the remaining ones will still carry the same enhanced stats from your maximum +skills.

shijo

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow. I guess I should have done some more research before I made that pride. Infinity is insane comparatively. Guess I have to get back to work. Thanks for the info about the oath too. That's a nice little trick.

Thanks again for the info.

Generator Of Chaos

Diabloii.Net Member
A quick question:

Would the - % def on convinction works aswell in PvP?
Or there somekind of penalty that makes concentration more useful for skellies?

Thanks, I'd like to rebuild my summoners necro, my first ever char, severely messed up..:p

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
Generator Of Chaos said:
A quick question:

Would the - % def on convinction works aswell in PvP?
Or there somekind of penalty that makes concentration more useful for skellies?

Thanks, I'd like to rebuild my summoners necro, my first ever char, severely messed up..:p
Yes it would, but the only characters with a defense you'd have to worry yourself about wouldn't be effected by conviction as much. The -def% that conviction gives would only stack with +% ED effects (such as Frozen Armor, Iron Skin, Shout, Holy Shield, Defiance, ect.) making it only subtract from their total skill ed%, rather than taking 83% off of their total defense. A rouge merc's level 20-30ish insight would actually be more useful in pvp than conviction, as it'd take away the defense BEFORE it's multiplied by skill ED%. I'd say that Pride would be better than Infinity for PVP.

newerest

Diabloii.Net Member
You can get -defense when a rogue merc uses insight.

For whatever reason, my old necro would only lose one skeleton when I switch weapons/gear. :/

shijo

Diabloii.Net Member
Since the conviction destroys resists, and there's already a huge negative lightning resist bonus on the infinity, would you think a dream bone visage would be viable for a merc helm, or is leech too important? I'll be making the infinity in a colossus voulge unless I somehow chance across a cryptic axe and so my merc is rather stuck using a pretty beefy leviathan right now to meet the strength requirement. I'm torn between a vamp gaze and a tal-rasha mask (needs resists right now) for the time being. But when I get this infinity made, it would be interesting to see how the holy shock from dream worked with it.

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
shijo said:
Since the conviction destroys resists, and there's already a huge negative lightning resist bonus on the infinity, would you think a dream bone visage would be viable for a merc helm, or is leech too important? I'll be making the infinity in a colossus voulge unless I somehow chance across a cryptic axe and so my merc is rather stuck using a pretty beefy leviathan right now to meet the strength requirement. I'm torn between a vamp gaze and a tal-rasha mask (needs resists right now) for the time being. But when I get this infinity made, it would be interesting to see how the holy shock from dream worked with it.
A level 15 holy shock adds 1-648 damage. That'd mean it'd add at most (when a monster is at -100% res) 2-1296, or 649 average. I personally don't think that'd be worth it, I'd suggest using a Guilliames face, as that would give your merc 75% crushing blow, which would help greatly against the only thing a skelemancer is a bit slow at (damn boss penalty, which effects champion and unique monsters as well IIRC), as it takes 1/8 of the boss's life away per blow. Since your merc jabs twice per attack that'll make any boss go down with considerable speed.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
shijo said:
Since the conviction destroys resists, and there's already a huge negative lightning resist bonus on the infinity, would you think a dream bone visage would be viable for a merc helm, or is leech too important?
The Merc would do an additional 2-1490 or 2-1555 Lightning damage to a target without Lighting resistance, depending on how perfect the Infinity is. The Holy Shock damage will be between the 2-248 and 2-259 Lightning damage.

You do need Leech on your Merc. The only thing you could do is give him a Skin of the Flayed One or a Boneflesh. Or just put a LT near him when he seems to bite the dust.

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
Mad Mantis said:
The Merc would do an additional 2-1490 or 2-1555 Lightning damage to a target without Lighting resistance, depending on how perfect the Infinity is. The Holy Shock damage will be between the 2-248 and 2-259 Lightning damage.
How'd you get numbers so high MM? Am I missing something (like usual)?

Mad Mantis

Necrochild313 said:
How'd you get numbers so high MM? Am I missing something (like usual)?
The Infinity he will equip his Merc with has –(45-55)% Enemy Lightning Resist and a Level 12 Conviction. That makes for a total –(130-140)% Enemy Lightning Resist.

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
Mad Mantis said:
The Infinity he will equip his Merc with has –(45-55)% Enemy Lightning Resist and a Level 12 Conviction. That makes for a total –(130-140)% Enemy Lightning Resist.
Yeah, but the -100% cap.

Mad Mantis

Necrochild313 said:
Yeah, but the -100% cap.
Totally forgot about that cap. Nice thinking. In that case the Holy Shock would be effectively useless. It would be a huge sacrifice.

shijo

Diabloii.Net Member
Again, thanks for the info.
Looks like I'll have to either start using life tap or get a CoH because with infinty and guillame's he won't have any leech.

newerest

Diabloii.Net Member
Mad Mantis said:
Totally forgot about that cap. Nice thinking. In that case the Holy Shock would be effectively useless. It would be a huge sacrifice.
Well, it is possible the monster will have lightning resist so it wouldn't be totally useless

Mad Mantis

newerest said:
Well, it is possible the monster will have lightning resist so it wouldn't be totally useless
Indeed, but the end result will be the same. The maximum damage can't get any higher.

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
I wonder if having that much damage from another element would reduce the chance of monsters shattering. That could be good for somebody using Pride.