Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ways to counter the FE bug

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lone_wolf, Mar 8, 2004.

1. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

ways to counter the FE bug

well i think we all know that even if the mod would one day arrive it wont do us any good now...

so lets fix the bug with tactics instead.

sure it wont work in all cases but atleast we can try and come up with some good tactics against them.

1 i tend to use only works if your merc can tank the FE monster.

the other one is to equip a bow and take them of from afar.

this should work with most of them but can be though if you come across kolic and CO

so more tacics from you other folks?

on a side note while the explosion in itself aint that dangerous it can be hazardus so is there anyone that know the range on the death blast?

i have hear something about 4 yards but im unsure

2. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Also unsure of the range, but if you use normal attack and swing at them with a range 5 weapon, kill them with that blow, you'll take dmg from the blast, that is, if I remember correctly. Tougher to test all ranges further from that...

3. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

FE death explosion is not a problem for ranged/caster builds, it is that only for melee. With my melee guys I let my merc handle FE monsters if I think I will die to explosion (well, mainly it is hell FE Lister who kills my melee dudes, other monsters usually don't deal so much dam, pdr gear, good resists and high hp will help a lot). FE Ancients are problem for every character (well maybe not for a summon necro) but just use few seconds after spawning them to check their mods. If FE, then respawn, if not, kill them. Those 2 are mainly the only tactics I have ever used and I seldom die to FE monsters. Gloams are more dangerous imo

4. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

I'm not sure of how the Fire damage is calculated but wouldn't fireabsorb items help a bit. Haven't tried it myself but the logic say that it would work if it is a fixed number of damage you get from FE monsters.

It won't work if it's calculated in some other way like if the bug maked it to do some immense physical damage. I have heard people dying from FE monsters with 95% fire resist. It seems like the FE monsters pierces the resist you have from your gear.

Hope this made some sense at all. Don't know how to explain what I wanted to say.

DX

5. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

Best way to deal with fire enchants is not play DiabloII 1.10 Patch Final. It is the surest way I know. :p

Actually, the best way I know to defeat fire enchant ancients when I melee is using gimmershed. It can do some pretty good damage and you can throw it far away from the ancients. It was the only surest solution my brother and I found when trying to defeat FE ancients.

For other fire enchants, I usually have my merc tank them. Just to be sure that I might not die from a stray FE explosion, I usually try to get damage reduce % and max fire resistance.

My personal experience is that my ranged fighters have never died to a FE explosion, because there are always out of the explosion range (actually there was that one stygian doll... :lol: ).

6. lone_wolf

have had modded chars with 95% fire res 40% fire absorb 13k life die in about 2 1/2 hit so no the bug is way to strong for fire res to take care of it.

the normal death explosion on the other hand can be countered with fire res and other things.

my avenger who has 95% res all only dies to the FE bug or me not paying attention.

that char is built to handle glooms and other high elementar damaging monsters.

with 20% and +20 lightning absorb and 95% lightning absorb i like glooms even those that are spawning with conviction as i have 351% res lightning with res lightning on.

those are not the problem even though they are bugged too.

7. boogied6

boogied6 IncGamers Member

weaken it and then let your merc get final kill while you run at a safe distance. it is easy as that

8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

From AS:

"If dead, does damage of 75%-100% of max hit points, in a radius of 4 yards."

9. lone_wolf

ok so a explosion from a hell devilkin on /players 8 would deal about 15300 damage that is if d2data got the normal hp on a hell ladder devilkin right ( for the record it say 3400 is max hp)

take a moon lord as example they should have a max hp of 17511 if the data is correct that means 17511*4.5= 78799.5

thats a heck of a lot of damage.

with 95% res that would count out as 3939.975 if im not mistaken.

that is if everything would be fire damage and its would be calculated from 100% max hp.

its seems a little bit of to me...

10. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Best way to counter the FE bug - do not EVER stand next to an FE monster. Ever. Evereverever.

The best way to achieve this is to use a Necromancer with so many minions that nothing hostile can stand within 2 screens of him... :)

11. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

The death explosion in hell deals only 1/4th the 'normal' value, so 80k for the moon lord, times 0.24 gives 20k, 75% means 5k damage, 90% gives 2k damage, 95% lowers it to 1k.
    Now Lister is a different story...

12. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

You can't really avoid the FE bug if you melee. When I go after baal I might encounter 50 or so oblivion knights, there's no way my merc can kill all them. I'ts not the explosion when they die that usually kills me, I just explode like a kernel of popcorn, while zealing. Sometimes as soon as I lay the first hit on them.

One solution would be to carry somesort of crossbow, but that would take longer than taking a chance that I kill them all before they kill me.

My solution! Kill, Kill, Kill. die, got to town, revive merc, go back, Kill, Kill Kill, die, go town, etc.

It's all good!

Takis (El_Greco)

13. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Well if you are melee and are doing Baal runs the best way to deal w/ the FE bug (and IM for that matter) is to constantly cast TP's, cuz you are going to die, their is just no way around it :rant:

oh and another tip for those melee'rs is to play w/ a cheap keyboard, that way when you suddenly go pop and decide to slam or throw your keyboard it won't cost you that much to replace it :thumbsup:

14. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Amazon:
    You're usually ranged, most of the time this is no problem. If not, your Valk is a TANK. Make use of it, decoy, and a merc to keep it away as it dies.

Assassin:
    Trappers have the same situation as the amazon, but in the case of an MA sin, it's probably best to follow the above tactics for the amazon, but using your Shadowmaster of course, or invest in a trap.

Barbarian:
    90% of the time Barbs are melee. Best to let the merc take care of it. Otherwise throwing is your friend.

Paladin:
    Same basic thing as the barb, but harder if you're using Zeal. Be careful and back off when you think you just might have them to a good point to let the merc handle it.

Druid:
    Grizzly, Merc, haven't we been through this before? :uhhuh:

Necromancer:
    Obvious.

Sorceress:
    Obvious as well.

So it looks like the general avoiding is a merc and some kind of other summon(if available) to tank and eventually take down the monster. My merc usually has no trouble with them. :D

15. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Just wondering about the FE bug. I've personally never died to an FE boss directly. What I have noticed is no matter what my life is, after killing him, my life plunges down to 1 hp. Would it be possible that I've been so lucky with my zon that she has dodged every single blast from the boss?

So my tactic is kill every other creature first. If you're using a range 5 weapon, I think you can actually stand behind your merc while killing the boss and he'll take the blast on your behalf.

16. Urlik_Skarsol

Urlik_Skarsol IncGamers Member

:lol:

I've got a HC Frenzy Barb about halfway through Act1 Hell now. What he does is cast life tap on the pack around the FE, taunts over any monsters around it, kills them, then throws glimmershred from 1/2 a screen away while his Merc tanks. If the battle is proving too tough, he runs or Leaps away and sets up a new position to throw from, recasts life tap, etc. It takes a long time, but he hasn't lost a battle yet. :D

17. mawa

mawa IncGamers Member

I've got a paladin in act 2 of hell, but I've never even noticed the FE bug. Is it something that only happens in the later acts of hell? Or should I get my eyes examined? My paladin has ~1000hps, 75% res all, max block and ~30k def, so maybe that helps.

-mawa

18. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

Mawa, unfortunately the FE bug will get you later on in Hell. The worst place is in River of Flame, WSK level 3 and the Throne od Destruction.

Urlik_Skarsol, life tap will be no help to you in later Hell against the FE bug. FE gets you so fast that you don't have a chance to react. I too have lifetap with my zealot, but I still die instantly. The only way to avoid the FE bug in HC it to avoid all the Oblivion Knights all together.

Takis (EL_Greco)

19. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Shade did a test on the FE issue, no legit build could stand a single hit.

One thing to keep in mind, the FE bug does not happen all the time. However if it does, instant death no matter how powerful/good your char is. My first 1.10 mat assassin build had 5 death, all because of the FE bug. My pat barb build had no death, but he only ever faced FE boss few times himself (all mistake, didn't check stat before move in), and got lucky all those time, he totally "chicken out" and let his merc do the kill.

I have my Guardian Fishymancer, but I will not have HC melee char if the FE bug not fixed.

20. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

You are killed by a single hit only if hell Ancient is FE (on nm FE Anciets are dangerous too). Normal FE boss monsters can't do that, only their death explosion is dangerous (and usually only in very late hell). FEs are not an instant death, they never have been except if you try to fight FE Ancients which can easily be avoided.

Very often when I kill FE monster with my melee char they take lots of damage but not that much they would be killed.

But those FE beetles are a dfferent thing...they are almost the only scary FE monsters if not counting Ancients :scared: