Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Waypoints

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Goldwrap, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Goldwrap

Goldwrap IncGamers Member

Waypoints

I was thinking what if waypoints were operated by Npc's and they charged you some gold for using them, the running cost could be used to guard them as they would be highly strategical, perhaps a waypoint in the gameworld would be some small fortified tower or wooden castle - unlike just some flat stone in the ground anyone can use? perhaps to add a waypoint to your waypoint list you'd have to defend it to gain the garrisons trust or something.

please give me your thoughts on this :)

2. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Re: Waypoints

Such a system would only add a layer of unnecessary complexity. The point of a waypoint system is to allow faster travel which means they must be readily available - as soon as there is a downside to using them, players will be discouraged from doing so. Turning waypoints into goldsinks and their availability into quest rewards would not improve the players' experience as much as it would hurt it.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

gotta agree with moonfrost here. this would be one of those things that makes the game less fun. work on quests that adds enjoyment to the game not takes away from it

4. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

I'd like for some way points to be gathering spots for large hordes of monsters and perhaps mini-bosses when you first encounter one. It'd be more of an instantaneous challenge then a long drawn out multi-dungeon quest chain for the reward of safety.

5. Apocalypse

i would be ok with each new waypoint being guarded by a champion or whatever, might actually make finding the way points more interesting

6. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Only change I would like to see to the waypoint system is to get rid of the dynamic that makes is wrong to select the waypoint in Nilithak's levels. Selecting that waypoint closes the portal. There shouldn't be a penalty attached to activating a waypoint. Same dynamic with killing the Cow King... keep that type of stuff out of D3.

7. Apocalypse

now that i think about it before speaking this makes no sense at all. mobs should never be near a waypoint otherwise using one in a new game could mean instant death. hooray for telling yourself you are wrong

8. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

How about:
    IF
    Waypoint obtained previously = No mob
    ELSE
    Mob

That way you always get clear waypoints. The game has to remember it anyway for the (in)active waypoint listing.

9. Killafornia

If you notice I said only when you first get to the waypoint. It'd be a onetime event.

10. Apocalypse

yeah i was going against what i said, made no damn sense after i read it lol. your idea would be better but could still have some problems in mp for higher levels joining the game.

11. Killafornia

Yeah if they allow you too go ahead of the game host. Which is unlikely in my opinion. A pretty common grieving tactic in d2 was to finish an area that someone needed before they got there effectively forcing them to remake the game and redo part of it. I think it's likely that you'll only have access to the same areas that the game host has when you join their game.

12. Apocalypse

i hope not. i liked playing in games with my friends where we were 2 different levels. he would make a game playing act 2 while i was in act 4. we both got to play the game, chat with each other, earn bonus xp and have a tougher challenge. i see myself doing stuff like that again.

however i do understand your point with the griefers. lots of times some player would miss a drop get pissed leave the game come back with a level 80 char clear out the tombs and leave the game. it was annoying when it happened but that happened to me less than me playing in the same game with my friends on different acts. one of the most underused things ever was the level restriction in D2 that button alone would have solved so many problems people had

13. Killafornia

I've never done that. For me going into a friend's game meant I was going to be asked to rush them unless we where around the same level.

14. Kjeks

Kjeks IncGamers Member

I hope they put more thought into the location and surroundings of each waypoint to ensure their usefulness, unlike d2 where 10% of the wps are used 90% of the time

15. Razor Spine

Razor Spine IncGamers Member

Since we'll be seeing a lot more waypoints per area instead of just one per location, inclusive of dungeons, it seems to me to be quite viable for travel if you take out TPs now, considering the sheer size of most areas revealed so far.

In any case, that way you can still pick up and trade off all the dropped junk if you wanted to (and are OC like me) for gold. The sheer amounts of dropped (and ignored :weep:) treasure and chests in the trailers made me a very happy bunny when I saw them.