Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WayOfThePhoenix, 3rd of the "7 Builds I Have Not Tried"

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Smittyphi, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Smittyphi

Smittyphi Diabloii.Net Member

As always, my 7 builds

My witty and original name has to be astounding to everyone here. I'm going to try and document my 3rd installment as a Phoenix Striker because my experiences with Assassins is probably the weakest. My experience includes trappers with blade fury.

So off I go. /p8 default to level to level up quickly. I find 2 rare claws with better damage halfway through act 1 so I go c/c. BoS gets some points and I sink everything in FOF and go dragon claw for my finisher. Died in Tristram saving Cain because and archer pack amped me and Griswold and Co wiped me clean. Got my body back and made short work of the rest of Tristram. The rest went off without a hitch and Andariel was a pushover with the high level of FoF and my underleveled merc didn't even get poisoned. Killed Radament and called it a night at level 16. I'll probably max FoF and then level up to PS while putting points in Claws Thunder as well. I have choices for end game weapons and I might go dual Bartuc's or Bartuc with Jade Talon, depending on my resists.

Zyr, zemaj, T72on1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Cool. Good luck !!

3. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

I recall trying a hardcore Phoenix Striker awhile ago that had full Natalya's and a Bartuc's, and it was a load of fun. Good luck!

4. Smittyphi

WotP sped through act 2 and 3 last night. I finally got a speedy act 3 map directing linking Spider Forest and Flayer Jungle. I've probably done 6 straight non-teleporting runs where I HAD to go through the Great Marsh. I remember why I disliked the Assassin so much. The constant switching between attacks is micromanagement nightmare. Brilliant me had actually muled off some impressive Sin weapons at some point so I had some decent rare twinking weapons. Only death last night was charging into a tomb room that had 4 greater mummies. I was quickly overwhelmed and surrounded. I recovered my body and with some close calls to exploding dolls and Mephisto, I got through act 3 with no deaths and level 23. FoF continues to be pumped up and a point in Cloak of Shadows also helped. I'm kind of embarrassed i forgot about CoS. It probably would've helped my survivability early on but I was focused on FoF and getting it to work.

I'm still most likely going to to go a Claw/Claw route. I just hope she doesn't become another BeefZerky. Maybe Phoenix Strike will drastically change my mind. I hope so. Otherwise, the only assassin I'll make again is a trapper with Blade Fury or a WWsin.

5. Smittyphi

WotP defeated Normal Baal last night at level 30. Lister was hard. From the KB and stun, I had to separate the minions into smaller packs. And then I had issue getting the right charge from Phoenix Strike. Missing attacks and then suddenly hitting two straight when I wanted the first one was FRUSTRATING. I'm thinking I may need to go the Angelic 2 set piece combo to get my AR up to hopefully solve that issue. Or I may swap out my mercs for a BA one. Died two more times, once in the Chaos Sanctuary and once in the Throne of Destruction. The distinctive lack of weapons that work with the left side MA skill tree is frustrating. But now that I've hit level 30, I should be able to equip some more things and feel better about the build.

So, all you MA Sin afficionados, your advice is welcome. I have a respec to burn if I need.

6. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

I'm no aficionado, but I suspect that Baaling until level 42 and equipping dual Bartuc's will make things very smooth for quite a while moving forward. Like, all of NM most likely.

sanguillen likes this.
  7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I normally only hit the Chaos Sanctuary at clvl30. You seem very under levelled to me.

How are you managing the charge ups and finishers? I think all in RMB is the best method, although @jiansonz differs. Both are discussed in the guide iirc.

sanguillen likes this.
  8. Vildecor

Vildecor Diabloii.Net Member

Aiming for only one charge of Phoenix Strike while going C/C will definitely be frustrating since both weapon swings happen pretty quickly.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. PS only hits with one weapon.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  9. Smittyphi

I'm using the RMB method. I've been playing everything /p8 too. Hopefully a couple of runs in WSK will even things out.

10. Smittyphi

OK, so i ran until level 40 in WSK Normal and decided to go to NM. /P8 settings quickly leveled me to level 42 for the dual Bartucs. That made life a lot better for her. Having a better AR rating meant I could better handle the Phoenix Strike charges. Missing an attack and screwing up the phoenix charge is slightly annoying but all in all, Life is a whole lot better. I finished off all of NM dual wielding Bartuc's. I ended up beating Baal a couple of times in NM before entering Hell at level 71 with equipping Barctuc and Jade Talon for the resists. Ran up until the Stony Field waypoint to get my practice with Cloak of Shadows down because I really didn't need it for NM but I know I will for Hell.

All in all, a much more fun time in NM than Normal because I was underleveled, despite going /p8.

T72on1, Zyr, maxicek and 2 others like this.