Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Way OT: Social intercourse :)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by neumein, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Way OT: Social intercourse :)

Don't worry, this isn't a dirty thread (yet =P)

It happened like this. I was over at my friends house for the first time, and didn't know what to expect of his parents. Were they the over-mothering type, who doesn't even let their son go outside without a comprehensive security check, were they lazy bogans, or were they totalitarians? I amed to find out.

I arrived, came in, and did what normal friends do. We played PS2, we watched TV, my bud is an enormour wrestling fan, so we watched some of his wrestling dvd's. That night at dinner, I went for it. I told his parents that we had engaged in social intercourse. (At this point let me clarify, social intercourse means talking with somone.) An awkward silence ensued. His parents looked at each other, and then came the massive speech. Turns out his parents are Mormons, and as a result, they are quite prudent about things like sex. After I received a five minute lecture, I quietly told them what I had really said, and what it really meant. Needless to say, they don't like me too much now.

Another example, our family are good friends with another family at church. They came over for dinner one evening. Now, they are a almost-at-retiring-age couple, and they enjoy the 'finer' things in life, they have a fine jazz music collection, they are wine buffs, they own a nice house, etc... Anyways, that night at dinner, they were telling us about they were part of an 'exlusive wine club', I turned to my mum and whispered, "yeah, alcoholics anonymous." My mum had to leave the room in order to contain her laughter.

I was wondering, when have you said something as a joke, and had it come out wrong, or accidentally say something inappropriate.

2. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

You called it social intercourse. It is inappropriate.

Ditto for the second joke.

3. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

How is what I said inappropriate. That's how it was taught to us in Psychology class. We didn't analyse conversations, we analysed social intercourse.

If you don't like it, sue me.

EDIT: Or should I change the title to something a bit less suggestive?

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The first was obviously going to upset anyone. Yes it shows their ignorance but you aren't showing much common sense either. Old/ignorant/religous bad combo; they'll preach first and engage a brain cell later. Personally, I would hazard a guess that was done on purpose.

The second was merely a dry sense of humour. I would have laughed. Oh and it is exclusive.

If you want inappropriate try this:
    Me and my sister went to someone's house to drop something off. Mum had been in hospital "How is your mum?"
    My sister "Well, she died this morning."
    You should have seen the look on this womans' face.
    Mum would have laughed.

Edit: @Neuimein - there is a difference between what happened to me and what you did. Firstly, it was our mother that died. We are entitled to do things like that. And believe me that was a deadpan delivery, if you pardon the phrase.

With all due respect, "your mother" as an insult, is unimaginative and in the circumstance showed an enormous amount of disrespect and thoughtlessness. I would have thrown you out of the house. Why shouldn't he ask what you are doing? Presumably you are under the age of majority and you are living in his house.

Whilst there is always the possibilty of cultural misunderstandings - I confuse a lot of people who take me absolultely literally for example - thoughtlessness isn't funny. It shows a lack of wit and a dearth of respect.

5. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

>> Thyiad, ouch!

I had something similar happen to me. Before I begin, let me set the scene. One of my favourite lines to use is, "your mother". It doesn't make any sense, but it's my universal insult. Nana had been in hospital for a couple months with a brain tumor, and had died just a few days before. I was in my room reading, when my dad yells out, "Nate, what are you doing?" (that aggrivates me, If you want to see what I'm doing, come and look, you goose), I respond with my favourite line, "Your mother." As soon as I said that, I realised my mistake. He hasn't really talked to me since, and that was a few months ago.

6. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

I understand that I got punched off the proch for a slip[ up after my grandma died

7. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I feel bad now. Things get all messed up when I try and put my thoughts into words, and I just end up offending somebody.

Sorry to anybody I have offended, and sorry to those who will get offended when they get the chance to read this.

Unless you (the moderators) see some usefulness in this thread, feel free to delete it.

EDIT: I've reported this thread to the mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.