Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wave of Light

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Adree, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Adree

Adree Diabloii.Net Member

Wave of Light

Anyone else scratching their heads at this one? Wave of Light is represented by a gigantic monastery bell that goes crashing off the screen? What the what?

Do not want. Give me a WAVE OF (holy) LIGHT to smite my demonic foes, not a gigantic church bell.

2. Chorkstain

Chorkstain Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Wave of Light

What you propose is a little vanilla. I like the bell, but if you don't like it maybe there will be a rune somewhere that changes its appearance.

3. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

With a generic name like Wave of Light, runes would certainly free us from the bell effect.

I personally don't like it, but do like the flash blast afterwards. A bigger one reminiscent of the Barb's Shockwave would be nice for a power based rune (sane bell on this).

I can even see a "Final Flash" a la Vegeta (duck from hater's tomato) for a nice effect too.

4. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Hadoken Skillrune. Guaranteed.

5. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Ka-me-ha-meeeeeeeee...

6. NotaBot

NotaBot Diabloii.Net Member

while i agree it does look a little over the top , the concept of bells as a spiritual and religious focus is appropriate. they feature prominently in western and eastern philosophies.

7. Autti

Autti Diabloii.Net Member

**** graphic, it hardly looks like a bell, looks like a giant pregnant gold egg!

Like the skill idea, essentially a ranged attack in one direction (ala shockwave, disintegrate) but i hate the execution.

8. Skohl

Skohl Diabloii.Net Member

I don't have a big problem with the bell, but I'd like to see them improve or change it all the same.

When I read the skill description I picture a really badass, wide wave of holy fire. The bell looks almost like a physical attack, not an energy attack.

9. StrongCoffee

StrongCoffee Diabloii.Net Member

I love the monastery bell concept, its looks very powerfull and holly, but I see it more like a big debuff or a holy AoE attack, not a rocketable attack

10. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

The bell is appropriate. It is pretty ornate if you see it in HD youtube videos, and it looks very much like the types of bells you'd find in Asian Buddhist temples.

What really gets me scratching my head is why, after the bell appears, the monk punches it and it goes flying across the screen. I would have expected the bell to materialize above the monk and gong, sending out a supersonic shockwave of holy damage.

It's like summoning a rocket launcher and then throwing the rocket launcher at an enemy.

11. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Or like throwing a holy boulder.

12. Risingred

That would have made more sense. Or a holy diver.

I want to hear the sounds for Wave of Light. This skill could be my favorite in D3 if they used the same bell sound from the paladin in WC2, updated and much more dramatic.
    With the gonging bell. Not a punching bag bell. I'm shutting up now.

13. Tulklas

Tulklas Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea of wave of light. Not sure about the bell, but I haven't seen it.

14. Risingred

I put some crappy low-res shots up of it in the Wave of Light wiki, and it can be seen in the gameplay panel from this year's blizzcon, iirc.

15. eliot

eliot Diabloii.Net Member

agreed. the bell looks silly. I thought it was a joke when i first saw it.

perhaps the runes make it even sillier e.g. you can rune it so the monk yells into the apex end of the bell and it shoots a big sound wave blast a la kung fu hustle.

wizard already has what amounts to kamehameha so for the sake of novelty he needed something else.

the monk attacks all seem hung up on him striking something and the devs may have wanted a devastating ranged punch and got to drinkin' hooch and watchin' old movies one afternoon.

it really is the only one i can see that has any graphic with any religious imagery so far. can he use holy water ? maybe he bows his head five times in prayer and the action is so violent it blinds and damages enemies in front of him with dust. or a harem of choir-boy minions?

16. Varquynne

Varquynne Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not a big fan of the skill's graphical effect (from the base skill we saw at Blizzcon 2010). I like the concept of using the bell and the religious imagery it conjures. But, based on the skill name, I was expecting something more to do with... light - not sound or the physicality of a gigantic bell being hit across the screen. On the other hand, both sound and light are waves and light could just allude to holy power *shrug*.

I'm really interested in seeing how they handle the different rune effects.