Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Water intake

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Akira, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Akira

Akira Member

Water intake

It's common knolwedge that if you want to be healthy you should drink 8 glasses of water a day. But how much water is that?

Currently drinking around 1.5L a day and on the weekend i will be upping it to 3L because i have a grading to go to on monday and everyone is telling me to stay hydrated.

i've done a few google searches but everything is giving me answers in ounces, and will only tell me how much to drink if i've excercised that day.

So how much should i drink daily (in liters) to stay adequately hydrated?

2. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Enough to keep you pissing clear all day. Try not to drink 2 hours prior to bed time, it'll keep you up constantly with pre-piss feelings. I drink lots of water to prevent soreness and heal it because I do a lot of psycho soccer game to basketball pick-up games to tennis match type maneuvers. If I drink soda, I usually drink 3 times that amount of water just to flush it out.

3. publius

publius IncGamers Member

I recall reading somewhere that the "8 cups of water" rule was actually wrong. Someone made a wrong calculation and came up with a very high figure.

I did a quick Google search and came up with this.

4. Akira

Akira Member

Interesting read, i guess i'll stick to 2-3L per day this weekend.

5. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If 8 glasses @ 8oz = 64 oz, you'll be fine with 2L (67.8 oz)

If I have to convert back and forth betweeen English and Metric, you should too ;)

6. Akira

Akira Member

But, but, i'm so lazy....

7. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

8 glasses = 2litres siplist way to do it...buy a litre water bottle or pop bottle, and fill it twice a day

8. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Or drink so much that you can write your name in the snow with 50 foot letters.

9. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Or buy a 2-liter and fill it once a day. That's what I do.

It's a little too much, if I recall. I want to say that the 8 8oz glasses a day failed to consdier the water you get from foods and such.

10. Akira

Akira Member

i live on campus so that sort of efficient, cheaper, more-for-less method is strongly discouraged, i have about 6 500ml bottles lying around (i used to have 10 but the number fluctuates everytime i go drinking :scratch: ) so i use those instead.

11. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

That's no fun to drink out of, unless you have a glass to pour into

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Dang, I googled for info and learned that you aren't allowed to replace some of the water with beer. And I was up to about 2 liters a day for a while there.

13. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Speak for yourself. I drink almost exclusively out of 2-liters. The less dirty dishes I make, the more I can complain about the ones the roomies make.

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

You can actually OD on water. People have died from it who have an affliction wherein they become addicted to drinking water and as a result drink massive quantities for the stuff.

But as for me, I almost always have a litre bottle of water with me. I usually drink about 6-7 litres a day.

15. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Almost all beverages you drink are over 50% water anyways. Unless you drink whole milk.

As long as you have clear piss your drinking enough.

16. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Hmmm I wonder why its so hard for me to drink water in the morning. I usually drink water all day long after noon, but in the morning my stomach only accepts coffee.

edit: AJ; you may want to reconsider using a cup. Mad bacteria gets going in the bottle after prolonged use, thats why we use cups. Easier to wash.

17. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

50% is a low figure even for milk. The problem with soda is it has sugar (mild diuretic), carbonation (diuretic), and caffeine (diuretic). That means that while you may pee clear drinking coke it will lower the actual amount of fluid in your body. what you want is enough water to flush out what needs to be flushed out with out drinking so much that your blood becomes hypotonic (too diluted). lucky for us it's pretty darn hard to make your body hypotonic. really just about the only thing you can't have too much of is calcium. It's one of the few substances your intestines will stop absorbing once your body has enough.

EDIT: the water bottle bacteria thing isn't as bad as they say as long as the water bottle is in constant use. If you let the thing sit there full for a week I'd wash it out first though. If you are worried then just put a little soapy water in there and shake.