Watching yourself on video

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Watching yourself on video

Does anyone else hate that?

For my preaching class this semester, one of our sermons is taped, and we have to watch and write a critique of ourselves.

Painful...

Gertlex

Banned
Does anyone else hate that?

For my preaching class this semester, one of our sermons is taped, and we have to watch and write a critique of ourselves.

Painful...
Wow. I agree about the not wanting to watch part... Quite the crafty instructor in that class.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I was fooling around with a microphone I picked up for $3 from a little shop yesterday, I swear I don't sound like that.

Gertlex

Banned
I was fooling around with a microphone I picked up for $3 from a little shop yesterday, I swear I don't sound like that.
That's another one. But it's more liveable as long as I don't share the recordings with others (me singing... yikes)

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't sing, I don't even torture people by trying. I make William Hung look talented.

Cannon Fodder

Diabloii.Net Member
I too hate my recorded voice. I always go around for an hour or so after hearing it talking a bit different because I'm conscious of it.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Not only does my voice apparently sound completely different than I previously thought, I also don't recognise my own accent. What the hell is it, anyway?

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
When I was a kid I read something about sound going through a solid (your skull) creating a more pleasant sound than air. Of course, when I was a kid they didn't know what killed the dinosaurs, so maybe it's just because it's more familiar to you instead.

I can't stand seeing or hearing myself, either. If I check the answering machines in the morning and hear myself on a message because I answered the phone after someone else turned the machines on the night before, I sound like a complete moron. I'm amazed customers don't just ask for someone else who has half a clue.

UserMathias

Diabloii.Net Member
My "real" voice is pedantic, emotionless, and makes me sound like I'm a particularly slow person. Ugh. Death to tape recorders.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Obviously everyone hates hearing themselves or seeing themselves. I've seen myself on video a few times and almost committed suicide after each. Recordings of my voice are just horrible.

It's a really interesting phenomenon actually, obviously people aren't laughing at me 24 hours a day, and they don't run in terror with their ears over their hands when I speak. Just goes to show that unless you're a film/TV star, the way you appear and the way you think you appear are probably completely different.